How Do You Sift Your Powdered Sugar?

Decorating By buttercreamkisses Updated 7 Jun 2007 , 12:07am by GenGen

buttercreamkisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercreamkisses Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 11:48am
post #1 of 34

I have a hand sifter (squeeze handle type) and my hands are killing me when I'm done with a bag of sugar. For people that do this professionally or even semi professionally I know there must be an easier way. What's yours?

33 replies
captrick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
captrick Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 12:13pm
post #2 of 34

Thanks for asking this.....I was wondering the same thing.....

mqguffey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mqguffey Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 12:18pm
post #3 of 34

With a fine mesh colander-type strainer with a handle. The big one at Wal-Mart is like $5. Works great.

captrick Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 12:19pm
post #4 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mqguffey

With a fine mesh colander-type strainer with a handle. The big one at Wal-Mart is like $5. Works great.

LOL I would've never thought of that! THANK YOU! icon_biggrin.gif

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 12:20pm
post #5 of 34

I use a wire whisk and whisk it until it's nice and fine in a great big bowl.

Shelle

Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 12:30pm
post #6 of 34

I use a fine mesh colander too, but no handle - I found it at a Dollar Only store. I just put it over a large mixing bowl.

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 12:44pm
post #7 of 34

I use my good old fashion strainer icon_biggrin.gif

manderfrog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manderfrog Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 12:48pm
post #8 of 34

I'm glad to find this out. I have been trying the squeeze handle kind and it just won't work. My hand loves you guys! You have saved it from the torture... icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

goof9j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goof9j Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 12:55pm
post #9 of 34

I also use the mesh colander. But the 10x sugar does not have to be sifted. icon_lol.gif

tasty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tasty Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 12:59pm
post #10 of 34

I have a sifter with a crank thingy on the side. Besides my hand hurting I sure make a powder sugar mess! I think I will give the colander a try.

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 1:00pm
post #11 of 34

I know what you mean. My hand got so tired of sifting but I read a lot of posts on CC of folks who didn't sift ~ so I stopped sifting. I ususally by 10x at Sam's club but I don't even sift the others either. I haven't personally noticed any difference icon_wink.gif

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 1:03pm
post #12 of 34

I have gone through 3 hand sifters and they all have ended up breaking! Thanks for this post! I was wondering it myself.

dreamn900 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamn900 Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 1:03pm
post #13 of 34

This is the sifter that I have

crablegs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crablegs Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 1:16pm
post #14 of 34

you guys are great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So much help.

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 1:38pm
post #15 of 34

I also use the strainer thingy with the handle. Goes pretty fast with it.
FYI... I tried the battery operated sifter from www.KitchenKrafts.com (see pic) but it kept jamming up and it takes too long.
LL

captrick Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 2:24pm
post #16 of 34

See? I learn something new everyday. thumbs_up.gif

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 3:25pm
post #17 of 34

i also have 2 hand sifters, i bought them after always using the strainer. And thinking it would be much easier and faster, boy was i wrong! So i'm back to my old ways w/the strainer and a spatula to help things along. I still think it takes up too much time, but what to do?! i think i sift things 1/2 the time only. The confectioners sugar i buy is good, unless i get it in the box. the box one is usually the clumpy one.

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 3:33pm
post #18 of 34

I also bought the squeeze handle sifter from walmart. I gave it way, it stinks. I have been borrowing a sifter from my mil. It's about 30 years old and it has a crank style handle on the side. It works so much faster than the metal strainer with the handle I have. Maybe mine is too small but that thing took forever too. My issue is sifting cake mix. I only sift my powdered sugar when i made fondant. Otherwise I dont worry about it.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 3:36pm
post #19 of 34

I have a large hand-crank sifter. It holds 2# of powdered sugar at a time. I find I always have to sift 10x. Maybe it's the humidity where I live, but even the large bags have boulders in them!

I don't crank it all the way around; just back and forth across the screen. Works for me!!

4starcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4starcakes Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 1:13am
post #20 of 34

I use the mesh colander witha handle over a bowl with a whisk!

buttercreamkisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercreamkisses Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 3:09am
post #21 of 34

Grocery List

...pick up fine mesh strainer...

thanks, I've not had much luck in getting the 10x sugar at my store. For the most part I use the 2lb walmart bag.

Wjk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wjk Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 5:27am
post #22 of 34

I have the hand sifter and it is no good.

I like using my mesh collinder also, but my favorite is my food processor.

It works great and quickly as long as you don't mind one more dish.

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 12:32pm
post #23 of 34

I bought a nice stainless steel sifter with the squeeze handle and boy that hurts your hand if you have to sift a lot of powdered sugar! It also would jam if you added too much sugar (it has 3 screens). It also took forever to sift the sugar.

So now I use an old fashioned hand crank one - sifting goes fast and is not painful at all. I am hoping it will not rust - I don't know what kind of metal it is made out of...

Like beachcakes, I don't crank all the way around either.

Antylucifer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Antylucifer Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 6:29pm
post #24 of 34

I use this over the sink colander for a sifter-its handles move back & forth, so it can be adjusted to fit any sink. I have a retangle plastic bin that fits under the strainer and covers the entire sink. I don't know how many lbs it holds, but yesterday I did 20 lbs of sugar in 1/2 an hour. It took several batches, it's not able to do 20 lbs at once-but it works wonders for large quantities.
LL

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 6:45pm
post #25 of 34

I use the hand squeezie one from Walmart... it's metal and is nice except it has two screens in it, one on top the windmill lookin thing and one under it, PS always gets stuck in there and I think that's nasty.... especially when you go to wash it and it doesn't all come out. I bought large mesh bowl shaped strainers for like spaghetti and such, and they work alright except they would need to sit all the way inside a bowl and still have room to be smacked around because the mesh part comes all the way up the entire side to the tip top rim... not a good idea lol.

Now we don't sift it unless it's really clumpy... it seems to do alright without being sifted...

mullett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mullett Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 6:46pm
post #26 of 34

I USE THE SAME THING AS ANTYLUCIFER DOES. I USE A LARGE S/S SPOON TO PUSH THE SUGAR THRU.

2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 7:57pm
post #27 of 34

stupid question...how exactly are you using the strainer? My carpal tunnel wants to know. icon_wink.gif

MandyE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandyE Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 8:16pm
post #28 of 34

I don't sift. icon_biggrin.gif

But to answer 2508s42, when I DO sift, I just put some into the strainer and hit it on the side with my hand and shake the sugar into the bowl. You can also push through with a spoon.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 8:20pm
post #29 of 34

I use the mesh colander with a handle over a large mixing bowl. I like 4starcakes' idea of using a whisk - I was kind of shaking it against my hand and it sort of makes a mess.

I sift when I really want to be sure that I have smooth icing but I honestly have not found there to be much difference... I only had problems one time with icing clogging up my grass tip when I was making Cookie Monster fir once. But that was a total pain! So whenever I use that tip, I make sure to sift and also add some piping gel to make my icing extra smooth.

fat-sissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fat-sissy Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 9:36pm
post #30 of 34

I use one w/a crank handle too. I quit sifting my powdered sugar because it never had any lumps in it. I do always sift my cake mix and flour when using the enhanced cake formula. It seems to make a difference in the texture of the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%