New Ways With Cake Balls....

Decorating By MomLittr Updated 6 Jun 2007 , 2:55pm by mrsw

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 2:27am
post #1 of 11

Not really wanting to roll and dip my latest batch of cake ball mixture, decided to try something new. Rolled the mixture between two sheets of waxed paper, about 3/8" thick (use dowels that size and roll the rolling pin on them like with making cookies), put this in the freezer to harden a bit, then found a cookie cutter about the size of an oreo, cut out the circles and used the molds I make chocolate covered oreos with to make cookie shaped cake balls/truffles! Using the molds was alot neater than dipping in chocolate, and alot faster - I did the first layer, let it set in the fridge, put on my little truffle "cookie", then covered the sides and top with more chocolate and let it set. Have any of you done anything different in your use of cake ball mix?

deb

10 replies
fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 7:32pm
post #2 of 11

Wow what a great idea, Deb! So far the only different thing I've done for cake balls was to shape them like easter eggs. I know, not that exciting but I do like your idea thumbs_up.gif

Eggshells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eggshells Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 11

I purchase mini flex molds and use the mix in them, but I still have to cover them.

hillmn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hillmn Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 9:06pm
post #4 of 11

I think someone rolled out their cake ball mixture and froze it, then cut it in squares and diped them. They looked like little Petit Fours. I think I am going to have to try this, thank you for sharing.

klesyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klesyd Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 9:07pm
post #5 of 11

havent tried this. Ive jst been making the balls. im curious though of what flavor liquid people are using for them.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 9:35pm
post #6 of 11

OOOH - I like the square petit four idea! They are thicker and would be easier to dip than it is to cover square pieces of cake!

goof9j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goof9j Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 12:44am
post #7 of 11

I've used ameretto, vanilla, carmel, hazelnut. They are all really good.

goof9j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goof9j Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 12:44am
post #8 of 11

I've used ameretto, vanilla, carmel, hazelnut. They are all really good.

maggie_14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggie_14 Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 12:53am
post #9 of 11

I have used Baileys Irish cream and chopped toasted sliver almonds, before dipping them in dark chocolate. You can't have just one!!! mmmmmm

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 2:52am
post #10 of 11

I've used everything from alcohol (Bailey's, Godiva, Kahlua, etc.) to leftover fillings (caramel, cream cheese, strawberry, etc.) as a binder.

The options are endless! icon_biggrin.gif

mrsw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsw Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 2:55pm
post #11 of 11

I too love the petite four idea - a must try for the next bridal shower! Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%