Italian Meringue Buttercream Seperating??

Baking By sugartopped Updated 31 May 2005 , 9:19pm by cupcakequeen

sugartopped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugartopped Posted 31 May 2005 , 12:06am
post #1 of 6

I just tried this receipe for the 1st time. I had to put it in the fridge b/c I could not use it right away, but after I took it out to come back to room temp. it started seperating. I tried mixing it again (~10-15min) and it didn't help. Not sure what I did wrong, but I loved the taste, but not sure I to try it again. Will this also happen when I put it on a cake?

Any ideas on what I did wrong?

Here is a link to the recipe:
http://www.domesticgoddess.ca/recipes/meringue_buttercream.html

Any suggestions/help would be wonderful.
Thanks
Christine

5 replies
peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 31 May 2005 , 2:00pm
post #2 of 6

Not sure what happened, but I'll bump this back up so maybe someone can help!

vmw774180 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vmw774180 Posted 31 May 2005 , 2:46pm
post #3 of 6

I would love to know the answer to this as well. The same thing happened to me!!

cupcakequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakequeen Posted 31 May 2005 , 3:06pm
post #4 of 6

I make this recipe all the time and it has never done that!

I looked at the recipe you were using....12 egg whites is too much...try only using one cup (about 7 egge whites only). That outta do the trick! Because the rest of the recipe looks and sounds just like the one from Whimsical Bakehouse...which is the one I have used icon_smile.gif

ps...this icing doesn't need to sit in the fridge after you make it. You should frost the cake with it right away. The sugar syrup cooks the eggwhties and acts as a preservative.

Also, storing it in the fridge and then trying to use it again is will make it more difficule as it will separate and will take a long time of whipping to get it back to the right consistency...I never make more than one or even half of that recipe...it's a lot!

sugartopped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugartopped Posted 31 May 2005 , 7:12pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks, for the advice. I'll give it a try and hopefully get better results.

But after the cake is iced, can it be put in the fridge? Will the icing seperate after the cake is taken out? I have read a few posts about people using this icing and putting the cakes in the fridge to make it easier to stack!

Thanks,
Christine

cupcakequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakequeen Posted 31 May 2005 , 9:19pm
post #6 of 6

For sure....it will set harder in the fridge...that way when you stack it, you won't "smear/smudge" the icing.

When it sits frosted on a cake at room temp, it just becomes smooth, light and airy again.

Good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%