Royal Icing Mess!!!!

Decorating By jazzyjenni Updated 16 Jul 2006 , 4:14pm by Chicklets

jazzyjenni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jazzyjenni Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 2:52pm
post #1 of 5

WHY! Oh WHY??? Everytime I want to do a cake with royal icing does it turn out bad! (Not the cake, the icing) I just did a wedding cake and ended up doing gumpaste flowers instead because my royal icing was....
Melting....

I have been attempting this icing for 3 years now... and it's been nothing but a mess, every time!

Sometimes it will seem to be a good consitency, but once I pipe it through the tip it starts to shine and melt! (Yes, I do mix until the shine is gone - 7-10 mins depending on the recipe)
I have used a number of different recipes... (Wilton, Cake Bible, Internet)
But the great majority of the time it is absolutely UNUSABLE! and goes in the garbage!

I'm beginning to think I am cursed! Can anyone point out possible trouble spots when making royal so I may be able to "curve" this little problem of mine!!??!? icon_cry.gif

**I have a stand up mixer as well.

4 replies
Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 3:45pm
post #2 of 5

jazzyjeni, I used to think I was cursed too but when I finally got the right consistency it was like MAGIC! I was making mine a little too soft and when I added less liquid it turned out much better. Now I use RI alot on my cakes the I love the effect...so much easier to use than piping buttercream directly on the cake. Give it a try again and this time use less water and only add more if it is too stiff. Hope this helps and best of luck to you!

cowdex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowdex Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 3:50pm
post #3 of 5

Make sure your bag, coupler & tip are grease free - doesn't take much to break down the icing. Hot hot soapy water - or a nice run thru the dishwasher.

fuzzykoala22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fuzzykoala22 Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 3:55pm
post #4 of 5

I haven't tried to make royal icing yet, but will in a few days for my course II class. Our instructor told us to wash our stuff normally, then rinse everything that will touch the royal icing (tips, mixer bowl, beaters, etc.) with a solution of 1 cup water plus 2 Tbl. vinegar. She said that will make sure they're grease free. Just rinse with plain water (NO SOAP!) after you swish them in the vinegar mixture. She also told us to use glass or stainless steel bowls to mix colors in (we were all using the GLADWARE or plastic tupperwares), and use either parchment triangles or the disposable piping bag. Basically she said that everything needs to be 100% grease free, and as much as we scrub with soap, some grease may still be lurking in our equipment, especially plastic items and featherweight bags. Apparently, grease + royal = yuck! Hope that helps, and good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

Chicklets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chicklets Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 4:14pm
post #5 of 5

It sounds like you have a bit of grease somewhere! A tiny bit will cause the "royal melt". If the consistency is good to start then it "melts" you most likely have a bit stuck in your tips or couplers or featherwieght bags. Give everything a good washing and try again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%