The Worst Sculptures Ever!!!!

Decorating By Momkiksbutt Updated 10 Jun 2007 , 7:20am by Momkiksbutt

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 8:48pm
post #1 of 15

I tried my hand at sculpting this week. How ugly are these??? I'm doing my daughters 16th birthday cake for friday...a sort of "Memory" cake/disco theme. I saw the bunny baby here in the CC by someone and it reminded me of my daughter on her first birthday. She recieved a very big pink bunny from her Aunt, which she promptly named "Big Bunny". She still has him to this day! I just had to do it!! It will be placed along side a fondant frame with that picture in it. (If I can find it that is!!) The other one is suppose to be representative of her at 6 or 7 when she was in dance. Again, you may recognize the pose from another very talented lady here in the CC.

My versions are not out of fondant though. I wanted her to be able to keep them so I have done them out of a cooked clay that I made and then glazed with a clear enamel spray.

I will be the first to admit that my versions of the sculptures are really aweful!!! I am almost too embarassed to use them. Oh well....I think some practice will help amp up my skills there. Just like everything else. I showed them to a friend and she thought they were cute, but I think she was just being kind. LOL

I will post the finished cake when I am done in a few days. The big party is on Friday.......I can't believe my baby is 16!!! Boy am I old!!
LL
LL

14 replies
gailsgoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gailsgoodies Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 8:52pm
post #2 of 15

I think they look adorable!!

itsajeepthing0196 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsajeepthing0196 Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 9:00pm
post #3 of 15

I think they rock girl! dont put yourself down! you'll get even better the more you try! thumbs_up.gif

2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 9:06pm
post #4 of 15

I love them. I have my first people drying right now. I don't think they look nearly are cute as yours.

The thing that I have to remember is that even though I think my things are ugly... everyone who sees them raves! A lot of people can't do what you are doing, and so when you put something like this on your cake, they will be AMAZED!!! I made some soccer cake balls about the size of large cupcakes, scored them and painted them. I thought that they were really ugly and poorly done, and I wouldn't have taken them to the game but my son insisted. They were a huge hit and I got 2 new customers out of it.

Moral: don't be so hard on yourself!!!

they are adorable!!

2yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2yummy Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 9:29pm
post #5 of 15

don't be so hard on yourself, they are turned out great!

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 9:37pm
post #6 of 15

Jeeze I wish mine would be half as nice as yours. You did great. The only thing I would change is the eyes on the little one. From the pic it looks like she has sun glasses or something on her eyes. And perhaps turn up the mouth on the older one so she is smiling. I'm wondering if you could tell me how you did the hair. I want to make 3 people for this weekend and I'm at a loss for how to do the hair.

CustomCakesBySharon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CustomCakesBySharon Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 9:45pm
post #7 of 15

i agree with everyone else - u're being too hard on urself.....for ur first try, they're amazing!!! i think they look great and ur daughter should feel very special! thumbs_up.gif

Momkiksbutt Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 6:43am
post #8 of 15

I stole the hair idea from someone here.....a good ole garlic press!! Spray it with a little pan spray, and Vwala!! By the way, my press is Zyliss....they are teflon coated. I like it alot!!

And your right about the eyes....I used some of the wilton color to paint them....and they ran. They do look abit "Racoon" like. And my arms are not as pudgy on the baby as they should be.

Oh well.....I'm doing another cake in a few weeks for one of my other daughters, so I think I'll be practicing with my left over clay between then and now.

How do you get to Carnegy(spelling) Hall??? Practice, practice, practice!!

Thanks for all your kind words!!

Momkiksbutt Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 6:26pm
post #9 of 15

Ok I finally got it done! I decided not to place the figures on the cake afterall. They just didn't match the theme once I got it together and saw it. I had fun doing it, but for some reason, I feel like I've lost my skills!! It's not as clean and precise as I would have liked. Maybe that's just the sugar headache and pure exhaustion talking???

Hope my daughter likes it!
LL
LL

gailsgoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gailsgoodies Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 6:38pm
post #10 of 15

icon_eek.gif OH MY! You've outdone yourself!! The cake looks yummy and the topper is just fantastic!! thumbs_up.gif

Momkiksbutt Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 6:43pm
post #11 of 15

Thanks!! I had something else all planned, but when I found this fringe two days ago, I just had to do it!! It's sooo my daughter!!!

4starcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4starcakes Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 7:39pm
post #12 of 15

Awesome Cake!

Doughnut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doughnut Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 5:24am
post #13 of 15

I think you did a great job on the sculptures. I think the one in the purple dress is my favorite. She shows so much character.

AmberCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmberCakes Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 5:44am
post #14 of 15

Your figures were cute especially the one on the coffee cup. I would never try little people myself because I'm just too scared to do anything like that.

Your huge cake came out Excellent! I love all the colors in it. You have imagination!

Just Awesome! Keep it up!
Take care,
Josie

Momkiksbutt Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 7:20am
post #15 of 15

Thanks guys!! She loved it too!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%