Fbct With Melvira Method

Decorating By dianab Updated 7 Jun 2007 , 6:23pm by Steady2Hands

dianab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dianab Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 5:26pm
post #1 of 14

You know the worming effect that occurs with the FBCT? Has anyone tried the Melvira Method of using a high-density foam roller to smooth out these devils icon_evil.gif ? Did it work?

13 replies
ch0psuey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ch0psuey Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 6:36pm
post #2 of 14

I would worry about the colors spreading...

gunnersgirl5578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gunnersgirl5578 Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 7:15pm
post #3 of 14

I used the melvira method on a fbct that I did last week. It was for piglet, I didn't get it as smooth as I had hoped for, but it did work. I just made sure that the roller had plenty of corn starch, and I didn't press hard. I hope it works for you! Good luck!

rocketgirl96 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketgirl96 Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 8:53pm
post #4 of 14

Sorry to be so dense, but what is the worming effect?

Thanks,
Christine

dianab Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 1:10pm
post #5 of 14

Well, the transfer nevers seems to come out perfectly smooth. There seems to be some indentions or wrinkles in the transfer after it is done. Sort of like a worm crawling through the dirt. At least that is why I think it is refered to as the worming effect. I heard it called that somewhere, don't remember where.

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 1:20pm
post #6 of 14

It may take me a few minutes but I'll try to post how I get mine so smooth. I did 4 this weekend ~ boy was I tired.

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 1:21pm
post #7 of 14

I use the melvira method every time and I know several people too. My first two FBCT (the peanuts halloween and elmo) I didn't, the rest I did. I don't use corn startch. I wait until it crusts and roll it once or twice lightly across the image and voila all worming is gone.

Check my photos to see.

Melissa

Tina_Mace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tina_Mace Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 1:25pm
post #8 of 14

I haven't done one, but there was a thread about this subject earlier. I believe it stated to but the transfer in the freezer for 10-15 minutes and then roll to smooth it out.

Steady2Hands Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 1:35pm
post #9 of 14

When making the FBCT, always go over each section with the foam roller. This helps press out the holes to avoid the "worm effect". After the whole pic is done, roll it again. Then add the background layer of icing and roll it again. Now it's ready for the freezer.

After it's frozen, flip it out on the cake and peel of the parchment paper. You should have less holes "wormies icon_lol.gif " than normal but there will probably still be some.

Immediately start rolling thumbs_up.gif. As the icing warms you'll notice the colors get on the roller and you'll roll them onto the lighter colors ~ and then you'll FREAK OUT icon_eek.gif and think you've ruined your FBCT. icon_twisted.gif But, at least the holes will begin disappearing thumbs_up.gif

Okay ~ don't totally freak out about the colors transfering to different sections. There's a remedy for that thumbs_up.gif Lay a Viva papertowel on the FBCT and lightly rub over it. When you lift it off you'll see your lovely pattern on the papertowel (our kids love this part icon_lol.gif ). Don't reuse it! Throw it away (or save it to wipe leftover icing out of your bowls). If your papertowel sticks to the icing, give it a minute or two and try it again.

Keep using the roller and Viva paper towels until all the unwanted colors are removed and your FBCT is smooth.

For a different effect, you can look at my dirt bike cake and see where I used a Bounty papertowel to emboss a design on the cake.

Have Fun!

berryblondeboys Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 1:43pm
post #10 of 14

Just shows you how many ways there are to do this - I don't put a backing on my transfers. I make them really thin (as can be seen on the backyardigans cake) and I don't do any smoothing or patting or ANYTHING while making the FBCT... I just put it on the cake, let it thaw, let it crust adn then roll roll with the slightest touch and voila no worming and not transfering of colors.

Melissa

Steady2Hands Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 1:52pm
post #11 of 14

I think I'm ready to move and get out of this humid state (KY) icon_lol.gif It sure does mess with colors on cakes.

Some of my cakes I do without a background but that's only when I'm doing a small FBCT. But most of my FBCT's are large enough to cover the whole top of the cake so I do the FBCT and background together. Adding a background usually helps keep the FBCT from cracking, but this weekend 2 of mine cracked icon_confused.gif . Thankfully the "roller" saved the day thumbs_up.gif .

berryblondeboys Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 1:55pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady2Hands

I think I'm ready to move and get out of this humid state (KY) icon_lol.gif It sure does mess with colors on cakes.

Some of my cakes I do without a background but that's only when I'm doing a small FBCT. But most of my FBCT's are large enough to cover the whole top of the cake so I do the FBCT and background together. Adding a background usually helps keep the FBCT from cracking, but this weekend 2 of mine cracked icon_confused.gif . Thankfully the "roller" saved the day thumbs_up.gif .

I had one crack too, but they are surprisingly forgiving... True, with an entire cake top transfer, a full backing can be useful. I just make sure it's REALLY thin over the part that is the picture because if I don't then I have a lumpy transfer because of the unevenness of the thickness. I think they are fun to do.

I just got a cake projector (the last of my FUN stash) and I'm still waiting to use it!

Melissa

dianab Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 4:54pm
post #13 of 14

Wow! What great ideas! I will definitely be trying these on my next FBCT cakes! Steady2Hands, I live in KY also! I wanted to clarify something you said about the Viva paper towel. You used the paper towels to remove the transfered colors that occurred from rolling it? So, essentially the paper towel absorbed the color?

Thanks to everyone who has responded! I'm hoping I won't have color transfer, but as Steady2Hands mentioned, KY is HUMID!

Steady2Hands Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 6:23pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianab

So, essentially the paper towel absorbed the color?

Yep thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%