Orange Juice In Cake Mix?

Baking By MissT Updated 19 Jul 2006 , 7:22pm by Tat

MissT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissT Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 7:16pm
post #1 of 13

Can you substitute OJ for the water in a cake mix??? I want to make an orange cake - pound cake style with coconut cream instant pudding, and was wondering if I can do this. Will it change the texture? I just didn't know if the acid in the OJ would cause some kind of reaction. Any advice would be appreciated. TIA!!!! icon_smile.gif

12 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 8:24pm
post #2 of 13

I used orange juice and vodka in a cake mix doctored with an extra egg and pudding in it to make a screwdriver cake. It was very good!

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 8:35pm
post #3 of 13

You can use almost any juice in a cake mix...I say almost any juice, because I can only vouch for what I've used (orange, pineapple, apple, strawberry, off the top of my head).
Orange cake using orange juice is awesome. Great with a light buttercream or cream cheese icing. Or chocolate ganache!

born2bake4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
born2bake4u Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 12:03pm
post #4 of 13

i have put orange soda in a cake ix and it was really good.

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 12:35pm
post #5 of 13

The carrot cake recipe from the "The Cake Mix Doctor" calls for orange juice- it's very yummy!

Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 1:14pm
post #6 of 13

I always use orange juice in my orange cakes (I start with white cake). Also orange zest - it really gives it that extra pop! I use it in muffins also.

MissT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissT Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 2:47pm
post #7 of 13

Thanks everyone!!! I was nervous to try it and have the cake flop. icon_biggrin.gif

Tat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tat Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 7:32pm
post #8 of 13

I used OJ in a non-dairy cake...it was really good!!

Rodneyck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rodneyck Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 8:18pm
post #9 of 13

I am working on an Extreme Orange, Orange muffin recipe and what I have found through all my experimentation is that using juice in baked goods imparts very light to no taste at all, most of the flavor cooks off.

Here are some suggestions;
Cut off the ends of a medium orange, extract the juice and save for something else, and grind the rest of the orange peel/skin in a food processor until finely ground. Add this to your cake recipe. The oils from the orange skin impart intense orange flavor and keep giving off flavor even after baking. Also make sure to add a bit of vanilla extract, because vanilla acts like a flavor enhancer to bring out the orange taste. Surprisingly, I detect no bitterness from the white part. Yummy.

Another way, a less natural, but you are adding it to a mix I guess, is to use 1 packet of Kool-Aid Orange Flavor drink mix to your liquids (stir to combine.) This will also color your cake a pretty orange.

I hope that helps. Experiment and please post your results.

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 1:55am
post #10 of 13

What does everyone ice their orange cakes with? Regular buttercream or cream cheese? Something else?

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 4:39pm
post #11 of 13

Orange Cream Cheese Icing, add a tablespoon or two of OJ plus some orange zest. Yummy!

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 6:48pm
post #12 of 13

I'm a chocoholic but this sounds good, especially for summer. Thanks!

Tat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tat Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 7:22pm
post #13 of 13

You know, I opted to ice my orange cake with vanilla/orange buttercream icing. Just add a little of both extracts and it's super!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%