Any Clever Ways To Store Tips?

Decorating By dydemus Updated 5 Jun 2007 , 11:47am by LittleLinda

dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 3:49pm
post #1 of 28

Does anyone have any clever ways to store their tips that is easily accessible, organized - other than that thing in the Wilton box?

27 replies
ValMommytoDanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValMommytoDanny Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 28

I use a fishing tackle box. If I used them more I would use one of those wooden dowel type holders that seamstresses use to hold their thread. Basically a wooden frame with small dowels vertical - put the tips on the the vertical little dowels.

Hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 4:16pm
post #3 of 28

I picked up an organizer from the tool store that has a whole bunch of little drawers to keep all of your nails/screws organized. I can't think of the name of it or I would try to find a picture of it. But it works really well and I can divide the drawers in half if I don't have enough of one size tip to fill the drawer.

HTH

If I think of the name I will try to find a picture.

mary-ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mary-ann Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 4:57pm
post #4 of 28

I have the decorating tip carousel from Sugarcraft.com.
LL

rustysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rustysmom Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 5:07pm
post #5 of 28

DOES ANYONE HAVE THE RECIPE FOR CAKE AND FROSTING USING THE WHITE CHOCOLATE RASPBERRY FLAVORES COFFEE CREAMER LIQUID, I HEARD ABOUT IT , BUT CANNOT LOCATE RECIPE.

rustysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rustysmom Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 5:07pm
post #6 of 28

DOES ANYONE HAVE THE RECIPE FOR CAKE AND FROSTING USING THE WHITE CHOCOLATE RASPBERRY FLAVORES COFFEE CREAMER LIQUID, I HEARD ABOUT IT , BUT CANNOT LOCATE RECIPE.

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 5:10pm
post #7 of 28

I use a spool rack that I have mounted to the wall.

goof9j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goof9j Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 5:12pm
post #8 of 28

I went to Michael's and bought a couple of bead boxes. They are clear and have about 20 or so comparts. I then use a label maker and put the tip # on the lid. This way I can see what tips are in what compartments.
I'll go take a picture and post it. Give me a few minutes. icon_lol.gif

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 11:58am
post #9 of 28

Mary-ann, I love that carousel. I have never seen anything like it. Was it expensive?

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 12:05pm
post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by goof9j

I went to Michael's and bought a couple of bead boxes. They are clear and have about 20 or so comparts. I then use a label maker and put the tip # on the lid. This way I can see what tips are in what compartments.

This is what I use, too. I got mine at Hobby Lobby. icon_smile.gif

Tina_Mace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tina_Mace Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 12:20pm
post #11 of 28

rustysmom: just go the the recipes section and search for White Almond Sour Cream cake. Replace 2/3 cup of water with the White Chocolate Raspberry creamer. I made one last night and it was to die for. I also used the creamer in my icing -- bonus!!

scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 12:24pm
post #12 of 28

I bought a little wooden box and glued small craft corks into it.
LL

SScakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SScakes Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 12:28pm
post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgriffiths

I bought a little wooden box and glued small craft corks into it.

This is such a great idea.

I like the idea of the bead boxes with the tip no on as well.

So many great ideas coming through..... thumbs_up.gif

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 12:32pm
post #14 of 28

My Wilton instructor suggested that I buy a fish tackle box. With all those little compartments, it works great to keep the tips separate. That's what I've been using for years. icon_biggrin.gif

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 12:39pm
post #15 of 28

I use a craft box (it's probably similar to a bead box. There are 4 compartments boxes in the one big box. Each compartment has about 9 sections.

Here's how I store them in my box.

1st compartment: all circle tips
2nd compartment: all star tips
3rd compartment: all grass/leaf/rose tips (and there's a larger section where I store all unusual tips.
4th compartment: couplers and rose scissors

I love this box because I know which compartment to find the tips I need and then I have the tips in numerical order in each section. I can reach in these compartments with my eyes shut and find the tips I want thumbs_up.gif

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 12:42pm
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustysmom

Rustysmom, welcome to cc. You should click on "new topic" when asking a question. Your question came up within a post on a topic that might not be read by anybody who can answer your question.

ChristaPaloma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristaPaloma Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 2:13pm
post #17 of 28

I got these round plastic storage caddies that screw into each other at the dollar store... they come packaged as five with one lid so for two bucks I have all of my standard tips stored by type (all petals together, all stars etc...
The smaller unit I use for storing the pins from my baking strips and other tiny items, Makes everything very portable in a pinch.
LL

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 2:28pm
post #18 of 28

I too use bead boxes... grabbed them when there were less than a buck and for icing color storage one time and realized they would be great for tips and couplers icon_smile.gif

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 2:43pm
post #19 of 28

I have mine in empty jam jars screwed into the bottom of my recipe book shelves! I keep my most frequently used tips in one jar and then the 'odd' ones in the other two.
LL

ladefly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladefly Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 2:53pm
post #20 of 28

alot of great ideas.... i am also looking for a new way to hold my tips.
hmmmmm lots of choices. thanks

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 3:06pm
post #21 of 28

as far as the recipe request, just make your buttercream as you normally would either w/ crisco or butter. Replace water with the wh. choc. rasberry creamer. You will not end up with white buttercream, it will be more of an ivory color, but it is really good and you can do the same thing w/ all of the creamer flavors.

AmyKay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyKay Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 3:09pm
post #22 of 28

I use something like this (could find it exactly)...
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2481913&cp=&sr=1&origkw=parts+box+storage&kw=parts+box+storage&parentPage=search&searchId=17169854943 and I label each drawer with the tip number it - I also have couplers and other items in there. icon_smile.gif

sun33082 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sun33082 Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 3:17pm
post #23 of 28

I use the stackable bead boxes like above, but they're square and only an inch in diameter. I put them side by side in a drawer, write the tip numbers on them (I have over 100 tips) and then put the tips in each one standing up.

That way when I open the drawer, I see all of the tips and what kind they are and just grab. Since the boxes have the tip number on them, I know where a tip goes after I wash it, and if I'm looking for a certain tip, they're in numerical order.

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 3:42pm
post #24 of 28

I will say that once I open my shop in AUG, I will be going to a more formal method of drawers and label storage similary to amykay.... this is how they sell them at my local store and it makes it so much easier to find them... they start from 1 and go up, so you know what direction to look when you are looking for say tip 233.... good luck!

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 3:46pm
post #25 of 28

I have a red plastic case that I bought at a hardware store years ago. I believe it's for a drill and drill bits, but it has top and bottom compartments. The top is sectioned off with dividers that I have written tip type and numbers (i.e., "round 1-5, round 6-12, stars 13-18, stars 19+, rose, etc....). I store tips, couplers, nails, etc. in the top, and I have put another sectioned plastic box in the bottom so I can neatly store paintbrushes, edible glitters, some beads, etc. There's even enough room in the bottom for scissors, utility knife, etc. It's got a handle so I can conveniently carry it from room to room or place to place, making on-site repairs and decorating easy and convenient.

If I get the opportunity and can make it work, I'll post a photo ... sometimes that's more helpful than my descriptions!

Odessa

mary-ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mary-ann Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 12:27am
post #26 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dldbrou

Mary-ann, I love that carousel. I have never seen anything like it. Was it expensive?

It's $30 but you could probably make one if you're handy.

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 5:12am
post #27 of 28

I keep all of my tips stored in ice cube trays. Each compartment holds multiples of the same number tip. I have each compartment labeled with the tip number, in numerical order. It works well for me, and the ice cube trays are very cheap! thumbs_up.gif
LL
LL

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 11:47am
post #28 of 28

I happen to like Wilton's storage box for tips. On the tips I have more than one of, I stack them on top of each other. I also put my couplers over the tips in there. It's small and fits right in a drawer in the kitchen. When I open it I can see the tops of all the tips ... no digging.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%