Disappointment = Wilton Tent Sale

Decorating By Melvira Updated 10 Jun 2007 , 3:32am by candice1988

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 2:22am
post #1 of 20

I am SO bummed... I drove three hours to the Wilton Tent sale and really thought it sucked. I guess part of the problem is that I already have all the pan sets and most of the stands, etc. I was hoping to stock up on things like large bottles of clear butter flavor, but they didn't have any. There were lots of other things I was hoping for, but they didn't have them. I know lots of people found fun stuff and spent a ton of money are were totally satisfied, and I don't mean to take away from their experience ONE BIT, I just want to give another opinion. People all have different ideas of what they want it to be, and mine just fell short.

MY BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT... I didn't meet ANYONE from CC!! I wore a T-Shirt with Melvira and my roller picture on it so people would know who I was, but no one came up to me. I theorized in another thread that they took one look at me and realized they didn't want to know me! Hahaha! Of course I am kidding!

Anyway, that's my whine for tonight! Hope no one else has a bad experience!! (Now, why can't Country Kitchen SweetArt have a tent sale at 50% OFF? I would lose my mind there!!!!)

19 replies
candice1988 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candice1988 Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 2:49am
post #2 of 20

Man...that sucks. Everytime Ive been there they have all the stuff I wanted, but I guess they are supposed to have different stuff everyday...maybe thats why. Im going on Fri. so I hope they have more stuff by then.

kaciealexa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaciealexa Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 12:40am
post #3 of 20

i went there friday the 1st, got there at 4:15pm, and had to park 2 blocks away! i got out of there 3 hours later, $470 poorer.... the check out line was really, really long, but seemed to move at a good rate.. the aisles could have been wider, as there was not enough room to have 2 carts pass each other, especially with 1 "lane" as the checkout line that wrapped around 2 of the aisles the whole length of the tent... now as far as what they had, i was really pleased.. got the 36cupcake tree for $20, and everything was at least 50% off... oh, if you go , the spatulas for frosting are in the first aisle, not by the cake decorating stuff at all. i bought, heart shaped pan set, heart shape plates to match, lots of cake release, lots of frosting colors, 2 of the 36 cupcake trees, the 2 cake mix book pan, some glycerine, some fondant cut out shapes, ribbon pan, 2 of the 13 pc tier sets that only have the center support, some of this, a lot of that, 20 couplers, coupler covers, ..boy, now i'm drawing a blank on what else i bought.. then of course i had to stop at IKEA for a minute, as it is only 1 exit away from the wilton exit.. and for you ladies who are dragging your men folk along, there is a hunting fishing store the exit before IKEA... the wilton tent sale is w/i 1 block off the highway exit... have fun.. i may go again before they close up on the 19th... laurie in michigan

DuncanHinesgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DuncanHinesgirl Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 1:25am
post #4 of 20
Quote:
Quote:

MY BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT... I didn't meet ANYONE from CC!! I wore a T-Shirt with Melvira and my roller picture on it so people would know who I was, but no one came up to me. I theorized in another thread that they took one look at me and realized they didn't want to know me! Hahaha! Of course I am kidding!

Melvira,

I was looking for you and that cute tee would've been hard to miss. . . Sigh.

I have to say I was a little let down, too. I had some specific things I really was hoping to get and they either weren't selling them or they were sold out. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Maybe next time. You will go next year, right?!

Marie

Yridian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yridian Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 1:40am
post #5 of 20

I went on the first day, got everything I needed ... for the most part. Wanted to pick up some disposable bags, and more importantly a cake leveler. The large $20 one, was hoping to find it for half off. I found the smaller one, but it was alone. I assumed someone put it there, after deciding they didn't want it. I was all for hunting it down, but I was shocked when a woman approached me asking if I was in line for checkout. Now, I was NOWHERE near the checkout line! So I decided then, it was time for me to start leaving if in fact the line was that long ... and it was. Took me at least another half hour to leave. icon_redface.gif
But I plan on going back, stocking up on some dyes and what not, but they're pretty cheap as is so I'm not going out of my way to buy 'em. Still, 50% off is 50% off. I'm going back to see if I can hunt down that cake leveler.

29apr00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
29apr00 Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 1:47am
post #6 of 20

Dh was disapointed, he thought it would have been bigger. icon_rolleyes.gif I didn't really have any set expectations or a list of what i needed, basically because i needed it all. icon_redface.gif I got SOOO much stuff, and spent less that $150!! thumbs_up.gif I got the 4 round pan set, and revolving turn table, lots of colors and bags and bags of gumpaste. Because i'm just starting out, i just got lots of little things. Next year i'm sure i'll be buying all the big stuff like fountains and stuff! thumbs_up.gif

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 1:49am
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

I am SO bummed... I drove three hours to the Wilton Tent sale and really thought it sucked. I guess part of the problem is that I already have all the pan sets and most of the stands, etc. I was hoping to stock up on things like large bottles of clear butter flavor, but they didn't have any. There were lots of other things I was hoping for, but they didn't have them. I know lots of people found fun stuff and spent a ton of money are were totally satisfied, and I don't mean to take away from their experience ONE BIT, I just want to give another opinion. People all have different ideas of what they want it to be, and mine just fell short.

I was a bit disappointed too. I had talked my daughter into going to it for me, as she works right across the street. However, at the last minute she encouraged me to come and we went together. I was surprised at all the non Wilton stuff there. I was mostly looking for the Monogram toppers and when we went Sat. there weren't any. I only came out with $30.00 worth of stuff. Have a lot of it already, I guess. I had a great time with my daughter though, and she picked up some kitchen stuff for her new apt. It's a lot of fun spending her money for a change!

Anyway, that's my whine for tonight! Hope no one else has a bad experience!! (Now, why can't Country Kitchen SweetArt have a tent sale at 50% OFF? I would lose my mind there!!!!)

Melvira Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 2:27am
post #8 of 20

I wanted that tall tier stand SO badly and they didn't have any. I was irked off!! I don't expect that I will go again next year unless we plan a get together well in advance to make it worth my trip. I mean, a solid time and place that we will be meeting!! I wouldn't make that trek without it... because that's what would make it worthwhile!!

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 12:49pm
post #9 of 20

Melvira, I can see your point. It's nice that my daughter lives nearby because even though it wasn't what I thought it would be I had a great time visiting with her.

chigurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chigurl Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 5:08pm
post #10 of 20

Hello, all. I went to the tent sale Sunday and yesterday. Sunday's visit was at 9:00 AM and it was less crowded than yesterday (arrived at about 11:00 AM). I am new to this so I really wasn't looking for anything in particular. I stood in line Sunday to check out for about 10 minutes but yesterday for about 30 minutes. Many empty boxes on tables yesterday too. Appeared the Wilton stockers could not keep up with the demand. Found a few items that people had decided were not worth purchasing and left in areas throughout the tent. I too agree that the aisles are very narrow. Many times I left my cart near a tent "wall" and went up and down the aisles without it. All in all though I was happy with my purchases, but again, I am new to cake decorating.

2xMiMi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2xMiMi Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 7:56pm
post #11 of 20

I am still debating on whether to go or not but need input if it is worth the expense of hotel and rental car. It seems from comments that there isn't a lot of the neat stuff there.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 8:53pm
post #12 of 20

Mimi, it really depends on what things you are looking for. where are you coming from?

I went Saturday, flew from Atlanta but I made a weekend out of it and saw a couple of my girlfriends up there. I got everything I wanted to get except for 10in. boards which I can get fairly cheap elsewhere. No biggie. I've only been at this about 3 years and it's still just a hobby, not too serious so I was able to get quite a few things I hadn't tried yet.

Even if Wilton isn't my preferred choice for most. lol I WISH CK would have something like this. I'd pass out.

2xMiMi Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 12:42am
post #13 of 20

Ironbaker,
I live in Atlanta area (Fayetteville). I would fly up, spend the night, shop the next day and fly back that evening. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find anyone who wants to go and share expenses. I have only been doing for a couple of years and definately just a hobby since I have a full time job with airline. I would really just want to find things that I can't get from Michael's, Hobby Lobby, etc. Which side of Atlanta are you on?

Thanks icon_smile.gif

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 1:36am
post #14 of 20

How funny! I wish I'd known earlier. icon_smile.gif I'm in the Vinings/Smyrna area.

Hmm, most of the stuff there, you would be able to get from Michael's or Hobby Lobby since it's everything Wilton. Some of the things I got:

colors (some I don't have or were running low on)
square pans
3in. deep pans
disposable bags
fondant/gumpaste accessories(embossers, flower tools, etc.)
gumpaste mix
meringue powder
mario batelli spatulas
parchment triangles
cupcake stand
cupcake liners
piping gel

So all of that you can get somewhere here, I just liked that it was all in one place, all at 50% and I could stock up.

There was a lot more but for some, not enough. Especially if you have most things already. (especially wedding stuff) I did expect to see more stands but didn't plan on getting any as I was flying. I'll just get them here.

Would I have done it again? Yes, it was my first time so my expectations weren't too high. I found a cheap ticket 2 months back, car rental was pretty cheap for 2 days and stayed with my friend. I am curious to see if the sale gets better as it winds down. I did ask if they were out of certain things that day, if it meant they were out for the rest of the sale and they said no.

I take it your flight is free or cheap? If you can get a good deal on hotel and rental, it may be worth it but maybe not if you're looking for things you can't find here.

Melvira Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 2:30am
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xMiMi

I am still debating on whether to go or not but need input if it is worth the expense of hotel and rental car. It seems from comments that there isn't a lot of the neat stuff there.

My answer, personally, is unequivocally, irrevocably, a resounding "NO!". I did not feel it was even worth the $70 in gas that it cost me. That's just me... I have high expectations I suppose, but I was waaaay disappointed! And to hold out on supply until the next day is not right. Look at people who are coming from waaaay far away and can't just run back the next day or so to get something. Why should they be penalized? You should put out the stock as needed until it's gone. And, if on the last day of the sale there is nothing left, well, you should've coem earlier. That's how sales go. The prices are better at the end, but there is less of a chance they'll have what you want. Ergh. Can you tell I'm still fuming?

2xMiMi Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 1:46pm
post #16 of 20

Thanks to both for the info.

Since I am not in this as a business yet I don't need the wedding stands, etc. but thought maybe there would be those items that I can't find locally. I am not sure there is going to be enough time for me to do anyway but might just wait until next year and maybe there will be someone who wants to share the expenses as there are a couple of ladies here (one is new)

Thanks again

cfdwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfdwife Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 1:59pm
post #17 of 20

Went to Wilton Monday, June 4th in the PM. We only drove an hour and it was a HUGE dissapointment. So, many empty boxes and everything was so disorganized!!!!!! I was hoping to find 16" or 18" icing bags...nothing! The colors sucked as well. Every other year I was able to pick up clear edible glitter but this nada!!!! Candy melts - only light cocoa and green I believe!

I also didn't see that many deals. I think they put a price on the sign then just kept it the same price, especially in the pans and utensils.

The two other woman I went with complained about how horrible it was as well. I know one overheard a stockboy saying that they get new shipments in everyday, but still, who can afford to go everyday?!?! Surely, not me!!! And I have in the past, gone once at the beginning and once at the end and have seen the same things and usually plenty of it.

I might go again next year and hope and pray it's way better than this year!

Still disappointed icon_cry.gif

Melvira Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 2:05pm
post #18 of 20

Shucks, maybe we oughtta let 'em know how disappointed we are! I hope they are just having an 'off' year. I'd hate to think it's always going to be like this!

chigurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chigurl Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 5:52pm
post #19 of 20

Newbie here again. I took some "me" time yesterday and left work early. I work about 30 minutes from the tent sale and decided to go again as I was looking for Course II & Course III books (finished Course I and someone in the class told me she saw the books). No books. Not as many empty boxes but the place was crazy again. The workers were stocking the tables as fast as they could but many people were grabbing right out of the boxes. Again, it seems Wilton couldn't keep up with the demand.

candice1988 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candice1988 Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 3:32am
post #20 of 20

I went to the tent sale yesterday, and there were some empty boxes, but I think I found everyting I wanted except 1 thing. I was pretty happy. And if anyone was wondering, I could use my wilton instructor discount to get 15% off, so that was great icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%