Baking By Somethin-Sweet Updated 21 Sep 2015 , 6:22pm by ChrystysCreations

dianab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dianab Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 3:59pm
post #91 of 287

MM = marshmallows

skmokis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skmokis Posted 8 May 2010 , 9:48pm
post #92 of 287

If some of you are using the cricut expression or cake you can make your own frosting sheets with it too. The frosting sheets that cricut sells tastes pretty nasty to me, sugar vail is 10000 time better tasting. Here is the you tube tute. on how to do it.

emilyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyg Posted 11 May 2010 , 6:03am
post #93 of 287

And here's the complete tutorial for working with SugarVeil in the Cricut: http://www.facebook.com/pages/SugarVeil-Icing/58910664892?v=app_2347471856&ref=sgm

SandraL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraL Posted 19 May 2010 , 9:43pm
post #94 of 287

Can this be smoothed out in to sheets to be used also with a cricut machine?

emilyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyg Posted 20 May 2010 , 11:58am
post #95 of 287

Yes, Sandra - SugarVeil can be smoothed onto sheets and when set, can be cut with the Cricut. There are two cakes we've done this way - both are pictured on the cricut.com messageboard (search that forum for "SugarVeil tutorial" and you'll see photos of the entire process). The instructions for cutting SugarVeil with the Cricut, or any other elecronic cutter, are also listed in the "Notes" section of our Facebook page (see my post just above yours for the Facebook address).

Thank you,
Michele at SugarVeil

Iggy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iggy Posted 21 May 2010 , 9:41pm
post #96 of 287

emilyg, Could I put sugar veil on a plastic mat (the cheap kind you use for chopping), let it dry and then put it through my pasta machine to get spaghetti strips? Your response is deeply appreciated. ( I cannot afford to buy the sugarveil machine right now and I have a cake due in July).
Thanks so much.

Kellig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellig Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 12:36am
post #97 of 287

I think I may have figured out the recipe, and when I can figure out how to post pictures I will show you.

However, I am still perfecting the recipe, (still a little to thick to pipe, but good through an extruder) and as soon as I do I will let you know. It worked really well! doesn't stick, and dries flexible.

Can someone tell me how to post a picture??? icon_redface.gif [/img]

Kellig Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 4:19am
post #98 of 287

Okay, so what I did, and like I said, I am still perfecting it, but I used all the ingredience that was on the first post, but I used about 1/2 cup of corn startch, and a pack of flavored gelatin (because I only had two packs of the unflavored gelatin) and instead of marshmallows, I used Paraffin wax. It is a food product that is used in most fruit candies, such as Starburst. I still haven't perfected it, like I said, because it is too thick to pipe, but works great in an extruder. I also think the flavored gelatin made it a little too sticky at first.

Kellig Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 4:24am
post #99 of 287

AAARRRGGG! I can't seem to get a picture posted... Anyway, try it, it works really well. I just kept adding wax until it was the right texture.

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 7:33pm
post #100 of 287

Here's a recipe that was originally posted on this forum and I'm sorry I don't know who posted it.

3 T. meringue powder
6 T. water
1 T. cream of tartar
1 tsp vanilla
1-1 1/2 lbs. of powdered sugar
2 c. tightly packed marshmallows
8 pkgs. Knox gelatin
1 c. hot water

Mix first 4 ingredients until smooth.
Add powdered sugar and beat until thick.
Add melted marshmallows.
Put gelatin into separate bowl. Add hot water to gelatin.
Whisk until lumps are gone.
Add powdered sugar mixture by straining.
Whisk until smooth.

*There doesn't seem to be any direction on how to melt the marshmallows.

(Mod edited to separate ingredients from mixing directons.) icon_smile.gif

All4Show Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 7:40pm
post #101 of 287

Wow sorry had that all spaced out perfectly and when I posted it it got all pushed together.

All4Show Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 10:01pm
post #102 of 287

There wasn't in the original recipe. I would guess I would try melting them in the microwave 30 seconds at a time like you would if you were making MM fondant only without adding the water.

daj85202 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daj85202 Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 6:53am
post #103 of 287

I looked up her patent and this is what I found:

TABLE-US-00001 TABLE 1 INGREDIENT WEIGHT (g) Sugar.sup.a 50.5 Dried egg white.sup.b 5.6 Starch.sup.c 0.3 Xanthan Gum.sup.d 0.3 Maltodextrin.sup.e 1.0 .sup.aSucrose and invert sugar; sold under the name C&H BAKERS DRIVERT; available from C&H PureCane Sugar, Crockett, CA. .sup.bSold under the name JUST WHITES; Produced by Deb-El Foods; available from Liberty Richter, Saddle Brook, NJ. .sup.cSold under the name MIRA-GEL 463; available from A. E. Staley Manufacturing Company, Decatur, IL. .sup.dSold under the name GUMIXAN K; available from Gumix-International, Inc., Fort Lee, NJ. .sup.eSold under the name STAR-DRI 1; available from A. E. Staley Manufacturing Company, Decatur, IL.

With the help of my scientist son, this is how it breaks down.

Sugar. 50.5 grams
Dried egg white. 5.6 grams
Starch. 0.3 grams
Xanthan Gum 0.3 grams
Maltodextrin. 1.0 .gram

This dry mixture has water added to it.

Remember that this is patented. I am only sharing what the patent says. If you come up with something, and you use it, I don't know if you are infringing or not. I am not an attorney. I am only breaking down what it says and we are all allowed to see it and share it.

I have been researching marshmallow fondant and Ron Ben-Israel's addition of 1 teaspoon of CMC or gum tragacanth to Satin Ice. What Ms. Hester has developed is great. It tells me what I can think about to form a stiff frosting. It's interesting, but, I want to make sugar art flowers. I like what Ben does!

daj85202 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daj85202 Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 6:54am
post #104 of 287

I looked up her patent and this is what I found:

TABLE-US-00001 TABLE 1 INGREDIENT WEIGHT (g) Sugar.sup.a 50.5 Dried egg white.sup.b 5.6 Starch.sup.c 0.3 Xanthan Gum.sup.d 0.3 Maltodextrin.sup.e 1.0 .sup.aSucrose and invert sugar; sold under the name C&H BAKERS DRIVERT; available from C&H PureCane Sugar, Crockett, CA. .sup.bSold under the name JUST WHITES; Produced by Deb-El Foods; available from Liberty Richter, Saddle Brook, NJ. .sup.cSold under the name MIRA-GEL 463; available from A. E. Staley Manufacturing Company, Decatur, IL. .sup.dSold under the name GUMIXAN K; available from Gumix-International, Inc., Fort Lee, NJ. .sup.eSold under the name STAR-DRI 1; available from A. E. Staley Manufacturing Company, Decatur, IL.

With the help of my scientist son, this is how it breaks down.

Sugar. 50.5 grams
Dried egg white. 5.6 grams
Starch. 0.3 grams
Xanthan Gum 0.3 grams
Maltodextrin. 1.0 .gram

This dry mixture has water added to it.

Remember that this is patented. I am only sharing what the patent says. If you come up with something, and you use it, I don't know if you are infringing or not. I am not an attorney. I am only breaking down what it says and we are all allowed to see it and share it.

I have been researching marshmallow fondant and Ron Ben-Israel's addition of 1 teaspoon of CMC or gum tragacanth to Satin Ice. What Ms. Hester has developed is great. It tells me what I can think about to form a stiff frosting. It's interesting, but, I want to make sugar art flowers. I like what Ben does!

K1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
K1976 Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 6:04am
post #105 of 287

Does anybody have pics oF how they used this? TIA

techie81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
techie81 Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 7:36am
post #106 of 287

FWIW, I used the recipe that daj85202 posted and it worked perfectly. We already had the ingredients in house (my fiance and I dabble in molecular gastronomy on the savory end) and voila icon_smile.gif It makes half a cup and the ingredients are really cheap.

I might invest in one of the lace veils. And first post, haha. Lurker I was. Hi folks icon_smile.gif

cakemoss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemoss Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 7:36pm
post #107 of 287

Well what a waste of ingredients that was! It doesn't work thumbsdown.gif [/u]

summernmicah99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernmicah99 Posted 13 May 2011 , 7:37am
post #108 of 287

Thanks for the recipe & extra info... I have a wedding cake due in 2 weeks & the design is my choice, I want to try this!!

Rhonlynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonlynn Posted 13 May 2011 , 12:49pm
post #109 of 287

I found out the lady who developed Sugarveil is only 1/2 hour from my house...And I had no idea being in awe of it for a week. We both live in Kansas City,and I'm going to try to get in touch with them, to go and pick up an order.....cause it's a very exciting product....then I'm going to maybe play with it a bit, and your recipe too.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 13 May 2011 , 11:24pm
post #110 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemoss

Well what a waste of ingredients that was! It doesn't work thumbsdown.gif [/u]

??? What was? The fake sugarveil or the real one? Which recipe did you use (there's several on this thread.) What went wrong?

cakemoss Posted 14 May 2011 , 5:18am
post #111 of 287

It was someones recipe on here that was a waste of time and money. I was trying to find it yesterday but I cannot remember the title of the topic! In the forum or did i save the recipe in my favourite recipes which is annoying I must have just written it down. I'll just have to buy the real thing lol

cakemoss Posted 14 May 2011 , 5:27am
post #112 of 287

Wheeeee silly me! Found it lol 'just found the heading ' my forum posts' yep I know totally mad! Mad as a hatter lol did you see my latest cake? Funny this website I thought this cake would surely get some great comments but I have only had one :0( I'm so proud of my cake. Seeing I am self taught and only started making cakes like this since October/November 2010 and I think I'm getting better and better! Is it because I'm from the uk? And not American?

Foxicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Foxicakes Posted 15 May 2011 , 12:55am
post #113 of 287

daj85202...that was smart to do...to get the true recipe. So, I did some searching to see if I could find the exact ingredients. The "sugar" is drivert sugar and is described as a "dry fondant sugar used in icings and pan coated confections" it has invert sugar in it and that helps keep it moist, so obviously regular powdered sugar is not exactly the ingredient and, therefore, will not perform like drivert will.
The meringue powder is just dried egg white powder which can be found at most supermarkets and is much cheaper than Wilton's Meringue Powder. The "starch" is actually a type of corn starch,called Mira-Gel, that when added to liquids produces a gel, but with the amount used in this recipe it acts as a texture modifier. It has to be purchased from a specialty store or bakery supplier. The xanthan gum acts as a thickening agent, but also as a stabilizer. Finally, the maltodextrin, simply described is a corn based sweetener, but apparently it does a little more than that in the process of baking, etc. or it wouldn't be mentioned separately.
So, now that we have the actual "recipe", does anyone think they will try to reproduce it exactly?
I may give it a go one day when I don't have anything else planned. I'd love to see how it works, not to mention see if making it myself is any cheaper than just buying the darn stuff ready-made would be.
I would, obviously, never try to sell it...after all, it IS patented and I know that if I had been the one smart enough to come up with this recipe, I certainly wouldn't want people "bootlegging" my product, so I will respect that with Ms. Hester as well.
If anyone else DOES eventually come up with a recipe that does not infringe on a patent and actually WORKS like the REAL thing, I would love to try that one also, so please share the recipe. I, myself, will most likely read up on these ingredients a little more as well as any substitutes/alternatives and may actually get in the kitchen to see what I can come up with. I will keep you guys posted if and when I do...

Foxicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Foxicakes Posted 15 May 2011 , 1:01am
post #114 of 287

@techie81, so sorry...I did not see your post about having tried the actual recipe before I posted my last comment...okay, so now that you have tried it and found that it DOES work and IS cheaper, I will definitely give it a go. I am still going to see if I can get close to it with ingredients that are a little easier for home bakers to find, just to see if it can be done...

Rhonlynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonlynn Posted 15 May 2011 , 1:45am
post #115 of 287

It will be interesting to see what you come up with...By the time I waste my gas going to Lenexa and beyond, it's probably as easy to order the stuff. with each ingredient being specialized. (explain: I live in Independence,MO, and Lenexa is about 40 minutes away, but the store is worth the trip...but not for ingredients like that.

She sells lace molds, but not Sugarveil. But I talked to the owner of the cake supply shop about the SV,and she wants to see it after I make it, when I get it. Some ingredients are quite expensive, compared to buying an actual thing. (like gum paste ingredients) .

maryeasl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryeasl Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 5:42am
post #116 of 287

[quote="Simplydelicious"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotmomof3

Oops! Sorry crp7- thought I had done that- must have been on another forum! Here it is.......

3 egg whites
1Tbsp Cream of Tartar
2lbs Powder Sugar
1 pkg Gelatin (dissolved in a little bit of water)
2 cups MM (melted)

Are you using real egg whites or powdered and is the gelatin knox or great lakes or are you using JELLO? I purchased a package of sugar veil at the convention Sunday and it should be coming soon. I will try this recipe and see if the two of them are similar.

I'm new at this..my 1st post so I hope I make sense. Don't know what MM (melted) is..... thanks for your help

lezlyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lezlyz Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 7:13pm
post #117 of 287

are not the ultimate understanding of MM 2 cup (melted) someone could explain me

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 2:08pm
post #118 of 287

Did this thread get corrupted? It says there are 9 pages but I get a "no topics exist" notice when I click on the last page. Is this happening to anyone else?

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 14 Jan 2012 , 1:56am
post #119 of 287

I tried the Gummy Spider Web recipe today for lack of anything else to make "webs" and I found it turned out fine. It is like gummy worm consistency, so if you're going for cotton candy like webs, or lace, this isn't going to work.

I put the liquid in a squeeze bottle (the kind you use for candy melts/candy making) and flung it back and forth on two-sheets-wide of waxed paper (coated in Crisco) in a criss cross pattern, and then just diagonal a few times. It dries to the touch in about an hour or two. It did not dry hard, but I messed up the recipe in halving it icon_razz.gif I halved everything except the 1 cup of water for the gelatin, so it was more liquid-y than it should have been.

Here is a picture of my webbing with mess up on the recipe:

gothmother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gothmother Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 9:49am
post #120 of 287

Put it in a plain container in the pantry. he will never know. one icing sugar is the same as another when unlabelled. icon_lol.gif your new sub sound interesting though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%