I Think I May Have Cracked The Sugarveil Recipe......maybe

Baking By Somethin-Sweet Updated 21 Sep 2015 , 6:22pm by ChrystysCreations

specialoccasionsuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
specialoccasionsuk Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 2:51pm
post #181 of 287

Hi Dawn

I had a go today and it was unsuccessful unfortunately.  When I added the tylose to the hot water it went very thick and lumpy and when I started to add dry ingredients it just went drier and lumpier.  Could you do a tutorial so I can see it made please?

X

sirena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sirena Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 4:45pm
post #182 of 287

Quote:

Originally Posted by specialoccasionsuk 

Hi Dawn

I had a go today and it was unsuccessful unfortunately.  When I added the tylose to the hot water it went very thick and lumpy and when I started to add dry ingredients it just went drier and lumpier.  Could you do a tutorial so I can see it made please?

X

I found this link on the Spanish c.c maybe that can help you !

specialoccasionsuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
specialoccasionsuk Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 5:01pm
post #183 of 287

Thank you so much Dawn my consistency was ok just thought it was too thick so added more water to make it more like the sugarveil ah well will know for next time X

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 8:25pm
post #184 of 287

Quote:

Originally Posted by specialoccasionsuk 

Hi Dawn

X

I watched the youtube video that Sirena mentions but I found that I had to add more water to mine. 

horsecrazy247 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
horsecrazy247 Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 3:52am
post #185 of 287

what is the recipe will it work in lace sugarveil molds

cakelady247 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady247 Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 6:28am
post #186 of 287

I'm going to try this!  thank you  :)

cakelady247 Posted 1 Oct 2013 , 1:49am
post #187 of 287

Originally Posted by DawnEdwards 

Hi I have a home made sugar veil recipe! 

You can increase the amount of ingredients if you need more of it.
Here goes..

1 Tbsp Tylose
1/4 cup BOILING Water
1Tbsp confectioner sugar
2 level tbsp corn starch
1/4 tsp meringue powder/egg white powder
1/2 tsp. corn syrup
Pinch of white icing color or one of your choice color

Add Tylose to boiling water and with a small fork mix until you get a clear mixture.
When mix is clear, add confectioner sugar and mix, then add your cornstarch and mix again.  Add the meringue powder and mix again.  Then add your corn syrup.
Add coloring after this has been mixed. 

this mix can be kept in the refrigerator for a week.  To work with it leave it at room temperature.  Once you have made the lace, you can store it in a plastic zip lock bag.
To restore the elasticity, just place a damp kitchen towel on top, but not too long... keep checking it.

Good Luck!!!! icon_smile.gif

Hi DawnEdwards,can I swap meringue powder/egg white powder with fresh eggs whites,and if yes how many fresh eggs whites?

horsecrazy247 Posted 1 Oct 2013 , 1:57am
post #188 of 287

ACan you use it in the sugar veil lace molds ?

Shasha2727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shasha2727 Posted 12 Oct 2013 , 6:13pm
post #189 of 287

My SugarVeil bag was 1 cup of powdered mix, to which you aqdd 1/2 cup boiling water & beat on hi 4 minutes. It made about 1.5 cups marshmallow fluff consistency icing, that I have used in fondant lace molds, on waxed parchment, and now I'm trying Silpat or other silicone mats. 1/2 teaspoon made a strip of lace 1" wide by 8" long, so a little goes a long way.  The 1 cup bag cost $6 at my local (somewhat high priced) cake decorating supply store.  Fast, easy & reliable are worth $6.....Hope to be able to buy the dispenser tool someday, but it's about $150 for the entire kits.  BTW< I have kept mine usused icing in a bowl, with plastic wrap placed directly on top so there is no air contact, and my oicing has stayed white & workable for a week.  I'm in high humidity area, so drying takes longer, but I keep the molds under a ceiling fan till the project is dry to touch, and then test to see if it's ready to remove, i.e. set.  To answer other questions I've seen re: SugarVeil: it is Kosher, it does contain eggs & gelatins.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 12 Oct 2013 , 7:01pm
post #190 of 287

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shasha2727 

My SugarVeil bag was 1 cup of powdered mix, to which you aqdd 1/2 cup boiling water & beat on hi 4 minutes. It made about 1.5 cups marshmallow fluff consistency icing, that I have used in fondant lace molds, on waxed parchment, and now I'm trying Silpat or other silicone mats. 1/2 teaspoon made a strip of lace 1" wide by 8" long, so a little goes a long way.  The 1 cup bag cost $6 at my local (somewhat high priced) cake decorating supply store.  Fast, easy & reliable are worth $6.....Hope to be able to buy the dispenser tool someday, but it's about $150 for the entire kits.  BTW< I have kept mine usused icing in a bowl, with plastic wrap placed directly on top so there is no air contact, and my oicing has stayed white & workable for a week.  I'm in high humidity area, so drying takes longer, but I keep the molds under a ceiling fan till the project is dry to touch, and then test to see if it's ready to remove, i.e. set.  To answer other questions I've seen re: SugarVeil: it is Kosher, it does contain eggs & gelatins.

Nice info - thanks

sugarbaby8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbaby8 Posted 14 Oct 2013 , 8:05am
post #191 of 287

Don't know if you got an answer yet or not, but when working with isomalt we use a dehumidifying aid. Take a look at the following link to see if any of them would work for you.

http://www.shopchefrubber.com/Dehumidifying-Aids/

horsecrazy247 Posted 16 Oct 2013 , 6:12pm
post #192 of 287

AWho has got this to work also how long to let it dry ?

Croxholden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Croxholden Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 11:08am
post #193 of 287

AI just used the recipe posted by Dawn and it worked. The first batch was no good but i tried again but needed to use a bit more water. It took about 6 hours to dry before it came out of the moulds. (Cheap moulds from Ebay). Going to use rest of mix tomorrow and make more lace.

horsecrazy247 Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 5:26pm
post #194 of 287

AHow much more water did you use

wedtemp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wedtemp Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 8:37pm
post #195 of 287

AHi I made this homemade recipe too. But it almost looks like a choux pastry. Does it have to be quite runny...mine has turned out bit like a lumpy dough I did manage to spread it not sure wat the end result should look like once all combined together. We'll see after about 6-8 hrs. To see if set. Am very excited and keeping my fingers crossed it turns out. Will keep you all posted

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 9:25pm
post #196 of 287

I just started following this thread and don't have time to read back through all 13 pages.  Could someone possibly post a link to the recipe or tell me what page it is on?  I tried a recipe that I got from a friend and it is stays sticky on the bottom (side that is touching the mold).  I haven't been able to get a piece out without it sticking to itself.  Thanks!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 9:30pm
post #197 of 287

Previous page (pg. 12). People are just discussing the fact that someone said it does work, but that it needs more water, so be on the lookout for that.

Originally Posted by DawnEdwards View Post

Hi I have a home made sugar veil recipe! 

You can increase the amount of ingredients if you need more of it.
Here goes..
1 Tbsp Tylose
1/4 cup BOILING Water
1Tbsp confectioner sugar
2 level tbsp corn starch
1/4 tsp meringue powder/egg white powder
1/2 tsp. corn syrup
Pinch of white icing color or one of your choice color

Add Tylose to boiling water and with a small fork mix until you get a clear mixture.
When mix is clear, add confectioner sugar and mix, then add your cornstarch and mix again.  Add the meringue powder and mix again.  Then add your corn syrup.
Add coloring after this has been mixed. 

this mix can be kept in the refrigerator for a week.  To work with it leave it at room temperature.  Once you have made the lace, you can store it in a plastic zip lock bag.
To restore the elasticity, just place a damp kitchen towel on top, but not too long... keep checking it.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 9:36pm
post #198 of 287

Thank you SO much!!  The recipe I tried had 1/2 cup of corn syrup, so no wonder it was sticky!  I'll try this one, watching out for the water quantity.

imagenthatnj Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 9:39pm
post #199 of 287

By the way, it was Croxholden who said it worked for her:

I just used the recipe posted by Dawn and it worked. The first batch was no good but i tried again but needed to use a bit more water. It took about 6 hours to dry before it came out of the moulds. (Cheap moulds from Ebay). Going to use rest of mix tomorrow and make more lace.

Croxholden Posted 19 Oct 2013 , 4:34am
post #200 of 287

AUpdate to my last post, I used about i tablespoon on water extra. The mix was like a jelly but it works. Kept the leftover on the fridge overnight, just refilled my moulds, so in a couple of hours I will have more lace. I let the lace from last night dry out over night, and put it on a wet paper towel for 60seconds, its soft again and is staying soft in a plastic ziplock bag.

The only ingredient that i couldnt get was meringue powder, so being Australian I used Pavlova Magic.

Croxholden Posted 19 Oct 2013 , 4:38am
post #201 of 287
cakelady247 Posted 19 Oct 2013 , 8:22am
post #202 of 287

Hi Croxholden, I'm Australian too, could you please tell me where can I buy Pavlova Magic and, how much you put into the recipe instead of 1/4 tsp meringue powder/egg white powder? 
Thanks

anavillatoro1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anavillatoro1 Posted 19 Oct 2013 , 3:49pm
post #203 of 287

AVery interesting

emilyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyg Posted 19 Oct 2013 , 9:13pm
post #204 of 287

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shasha2727 

Hello all - just happened upon this post and wanted to be sure to make a correction: SugarVeil contains no gelatin (it's also OU Kosher Pareve non-gluten, non-dairy, and contains no additives or preservatives). And on the eve of Halloween, here's a timely note: we've just added a set of three new mats to the website (including a spider web), and are giving away a sugar skull mold for a limited time with the mats: http://sugarveil.com/mat/gothic-mat.htm. You might get a kick out of this video showing 'live' skeletons demoing the mats, too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am1J7I6pknQ&feature=c4-overview&list=UUr1MIDb0OmyMmpkqxsGq-Rw. Thank you!

imagenthatnj Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 7:36pm
post #206 of 287

Very pretty! I love the one on the bottom.

cakelady247 Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 9:04am
post #207 of 287

I got it to work too

Croxholden Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 9:14am
post #208 of 287

AMine is still going well, mix is still able to be used , 6 day from when it was made. Have made lots of lace.

buddycarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buddycarol Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 7:28pm
post #209 of 287

AWhat type of lace mold did you us?

blwilley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blwilley Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 3:32am
post #210 of 287
The molds come from ebay, cost about $3.50 each with free shipping.

This recipe works well with these molds.  To re-soften to bend around your cake, just lay a damp cloth over them for a minute or so.

Sugar Lace (or MOCK SUGARVEIL)

1 T. Tylose 
1/4 c boiling water
    1 T. conf sugar
   1 T. cornstarch
1/2 tsp meringue powder
1/2 tsp corn syrup

In mixer bowl, combine Tylose & water, mix until completely clear.  Then add the other ingredients, one at a time, in the following order, blending well after each addition.

Conf. Sugar, cornstarch, meringue powder, then corn syrup.  When all is added, beat on medium high for 4 minutes, scraping down sides of bowl with spatula as needed.  A hand mixer can be used because the amt. you are working with is so small.  Store in ziplock bag with all excess air removed or SV will dry out.  Pipe to make webs,nets, & flower outlines.  When using molds, leave flat to DRY WELL, before handling.  Bending the dry mold will break the lace.  If the finished items become too stiff, soften them by placing a slightly damp towel over item as needed to regain flexibility, then remove from mold & bend to apply to cake.  Store finished items flat in airtight containers or ziplocks.  Cleanup with hot water.  Sometimes the lace will rise out of the mold as it dries. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%