I Am So Frustrated With This Design :cry:

Decorating By klundberg Updated 3 Jun 2007 , 2:08pm by 2sdae

klundberg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klundberg Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 11:05pm
post #1 of 18

I make my cakes just for fun for friends and family since I am still new. Well a friend of a friend asked me to make her wedding cake and it is supposed to be my first paid cake! (Yay...now I can fund my addiction, lol!)

Here is my problem. When I first saw the picture, I thought "No big deal. It looks plain." (She does not want the musical decorations, just the cake part) However, I have recently learned that plain does not equal simple!!

The first time I tried it, I did the sides with a strip of fondant and wrapped it around the cake and then tried to roll together the 2 different colored circles for the top. The cake looked awful!! The seams around the top and the seam down the back were hideous!

I just tried it again today and I am still frustrated with it! This time I covered the entire cake in the side color like a normal fondant cake. Then I placed the white circle on top and painted the strip around the edge. It still looks awful and nothing like the example pic the bride provided me.

Does anyone have any pointers??

I am tempted to call the bride and tell her that I cannot do that particular design because it turned out so bad.

Help!! icon_cry.gif

ETA: she is not serving the cake to her guests. They are serving something else to the guests, but she wanted a small cake to be able to do the traditional cake cutting.
LL

17 replies
ombaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ombaker Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 11:11pm
post #2 of 18

It looks to me like the white circle covers the whole top and then a strip of yellow is placed over it. if you look close at the picture it seems like there is a lip there.

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 11:23pm
post #3 of 18

Can you maybe do the whole top in yellow butter cream then just sit the white on top of it?

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 11:23pm
post #4 of 18

Could you think of this in reverse terms? Like make the whole top of the cake yellow then cover the sides with the dark color so as to hide the edge of the yellow. Then lay a big white dot on top of the yellow. Maybe you could use the bottom of the actual pan as a guide to cut the yellow and then the next size down for the white?

Jessmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessmar Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 11:24pm
post #5 of 18

The white fondant circle on top sounds like a good idea. How about just making a yellow circle the same size as the top of the cake, and then placing a smaller white circle on top of that? It's hard for me to tell in the picture what they used. Do you think the whole cake is covered in fondant, or is it frosted and then covered with dark chocolate ganache, and then fondant circles were added? Maybe that would work? I'm not too experienced though... just thought I'd add my idea. Good luck with your cake!

eilers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eilers Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 11:24pm
post #6 of 18

How about covering the entire top with a white circle. Then the yellow circle. Then cover the sides with a strip. You might need to add something to side fondant to make it more robust .. like gum trag ?? You'll need some precision cutters for those edges! I have saucepan lids that have a perfect 6", 8" & 10" inner lip which are excellent for creating perfect circles in fondant!
Good luck with it!! Doesn't look too simple to me!!

SHADDI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHADDI Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 11:26pm
post #7 of 18

i agree with ombaker that is how it looks to me also. i would pipe the yellow part once the black and wjite has been put on. or you can use fondant do a long rope type of fondant and place it on top and then push it down to the shape you want it to be. i hope that helps...

shaddi

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 11:27pm
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ombaker

It looks to me like the white circle covers the whole top and then a strip of yellow is placed over it. if you look close at the picture it seems like there is a lip there.

I agree... it looks like the white is placed first, then a circle of the yellow, then the brown is wrapped around the whole piece.

Good luck with it, and let us know how it turns out. It's a very interesting cake, and you're right... sometimes the simplest designs are the hardest to execute.

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 11:31pm
post #9 of 18

Because I am not a big fan of covering an entire tier in fondant, here is how I would ATTEMPT this cake:

Cover tiers in snowhite buttercream, use dark chocolate candy melts to do a chocolate wrap for the sides of the tiers (see ShirleyW's chocolate wrap instructions). Using a ribbon tip, pipe a yellow border just inside the wrap as shown in the picture. Stack and then use a tip 5 to pipe a small border at the base of each tier. Good Luck!

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 11:34pm
post #10 of 18

boy i have to say that is a hard one. the only thing i can tell you is to cut the white out of fondant and let it sit and air dry and do the same size with the yellow and then the next size down of circle cutters or make a template for it and also let it air dry then place them on the top of the cake size for it. for the sides make a paper template after you have the tops done for the measurements so you can lay it out on the fondant cut it to size for each. if you use gum paste or pastillage or even royal frosting any of these could be used and dryed a head of time for the tops of these cakes. Hope this helps.

jesaltuve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jesaltuve Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 11:46pm
post #11 of 18

The picture looks like the edges are wrapped in chocolate with transfer strips. If you're not experienced with chocolate the transfer is tricky.
Why not cover the whole cake in chocolate fondant?
Then like some others mentioned, use your pans to cut out some yellow fondant circles the size of each tier. Use a sharp small knife or exacto knife. Place on each.
Then some white fondant in the next size down and place that on top so both the yellow is peeking out and the white is visible on top.
If you don't want so many layers of fondant piled up, you can use some round cutters to cut away the center of the circle that would be under each tier.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 11:47pm
post #12 of 18

What about icing the entire tier in white. Lay a fondant band on top. Cover the sides using a chocolate wrap.

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 12:51am
post #13 of 18

The cake sides look to me like they were covered using chocolate transfer. (The white piece on top maybe chocolate as well).

The top is probably easier done with a cutout circle of white fondant and a cut out round yellow band, with the two glued together and air dried a few minutes before placing on the cake to prevent distortion.

klundberg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klundberg Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 1:32am
post #14 of 18

Thank you all for the input and ideas. I think I agree that it must be a chocolate transfer, I can't imagine getting that sharp edge with fondant.

I am going to go read Shirley's wrapping a cake in chocolate thread to see if it is something I think I can do, and go from there.

I am still unsure of how I should approach this with the bride. She knows that I am a newbie cake hobbyist and not a professional, but I still want to try to make it as perfect as I can. I don't want to disappoint her.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 3:53am
post #15 of 18

You said you didn't like the seams on the side?

Repeat after me the cake decorator's mantra: "Every cake has a back, every cake has a back..."

jesaltuve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jesaltuve Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 1:00pm
post #16 of 18

I like that, 7yyrt (that's a funny nameicon_smile.gif)
BTW...I was looking for that thread on Chocolate Transfers by Shirley W, cusious to see how she does it, but I can't find anything...help.
And I don't think the sharp chcolate edge are all that crucial to the design, I thinks it's the colors and look of the cake that are.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 1:52pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by klundberg

The seams around the top and the seam down the back were hideous!

Here is the link:
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-56654.html

the seams in the photo are probably covered by that ribbon.

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 2:08pm
post #18 of 18

You could ice in white butter cream, use same size pans as cakes and cut out fondant circles and then place them on cake,then do a chocolate wrap for the thin chcocolate layer on the outside of cake. Shouldn't be too difficult and shirley W has an awesome posting on how to wrap your cake in chocolate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%