Uggh -Stupid Fondant!

Decorating By phoenix13 Updated 3 Jun 2007 , 2:32pm by MacsMom

phoenix13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoenix13 Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 8:54pm
post #1 of 23

Im so upset right now. all I ever do here is ask questions.Why do I have so many cake problems? Most of the day I was working on a large drape that I finally accepted w/ a tiny rip that I patched. So then I went to roll michells fosters fondant which I think i may have added too much sugar to. How do you know when its the perfect consistency? Anyway so i softened it w/ a little shortening. but every time I lay it over dummy cake it rips at corner. Does tis happen to anybody? I,tried like 10 times each w/ alittle more shortening. I'm going crazy!For every fondant I tried I have a problem.MMf=too hard to work with, Toba garett=too soft ,no elasticity, satin ice= very soft, had too add sugar.I feel like giving up. I'm tired of making fondant w/ bad results. Do you guys have a favorite premade? Cn i repair the fondant I'm using now?

22 replies
lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 9:03pm
post #2 of 23

I use MMF and found if it's rolled to thinly I have problems with tearing. Try rolling the fondant a bit thicker and see if that helps. As for consistancy, it's like play-doh. Don't give up, you'll find the correct balance.

kidsnurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kidsnurse Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 9:04pm
post #3 of 23

Maybe you're rolling the fondant too thin?? Just a thought...

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 9:04pm
post #4 of 23

is it hot in your house right now??? All of the problems you've described are issues I have when my kitchen is too hot.....so now I always try to bake one day and decorate on a different day

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 9:04pm
post #5 of 23

I'm so sorry you are having trouble! I have really only worked with Wilton's (Ugh! Yucky!) and the MMF that I found on this site. The MMF works like a dream for me! The only change that I have made from the directions is that I don't let it rest, as is suggested. I use it as soon as I have enough sugar worked in (I also knead by hand, not by mixer), and put it straight on the cake. It's even still a little warm! I have never had any problems this way.

I hope things start to pick up!

<S>

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 9:09pm
post #6 of 23

Starkie - It's funny that you said you never have problems using it right away. I did that for the first time just a few days ago and I swear it was better to work with than letting it sit!

Stacie

phoenix13 Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 9:12pm
post #7 of 23

Im rolling 1/4 inch and here in sunny florida with the tropical storm going by it is very warm and humid, but not in the house. im actually thinking i liked mmf best even though it killed my arms. Its just that iI soon may be hired as a pastry chef in ahotel to cakes and I wont be able to spend all day rolling fondant for one cake. I'd like to find a good reliable fondant,do you guys prefer pettenice or fondx?

momof5kiki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof5kiki Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 9:32pm
post #8 of 23

try making Rhonda's MMF. The others killed me too, and they always tore. Also, are you putting BC under your fondant?

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 9:52pm
post #9 of 23

I roll all mine 1/8 iinch thick. I also never sand down the edges of my dummys either. Cracking can occur for various reasons. The most common is not kneading it enough. Kneading will make it stretch more. Thick fondant will rip. It will be heavy. I also coat all my dummy cakes with piping gel. HTH!

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 9:53pm
post #10 of 23

If you are covering a dummy, are the edges really sharp? If so that could cause your tearing. Sand them down a bit and that should help. I've been told to sand the edges on my dummies before covering with fondant.

HTH

Judi

ozcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ozcake Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 10:33pm
post #11 of 23

phoenix13,

Humidity can be a problem for fondant (I have that problem here) it makes the icing sticky and stretchy and harder to work with.

I have been using pettinice mostly and it is pretty good but I have heard that fondx is better (supposed to go well in the fridge and less likely to get crazing - the fine little cracks) so I have bought some of that but I haven't had the chance to try it yet (hey it better be good I bought a heap of it icon_wink.gif )

good luck with the fondant & the job icon_smile.gif

phoenix13 Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 10:38pm
post #12 of 23

Its like playdough consistency. I trimmed the edges of dummy w/ sciscors.So i may round edges a little more and add a bit more shortening. What do you use to soften it besides shortening? I will have to try rhonda's fondant. But what about your favorite premade fondant...anyone?

phoenix13 Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 10:42pm
post #13 of 23

So pettinice doeesn't tear for you ozcake, and your happy w/ it? thanks for all your advise as always icon_smile.gif

ombaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ombaker Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 10:54pm
post #14 of 23

I love fondx. I used to have to problem of rolling it too thin and then it would tear but since i have realized that and started rolling on crisco it has been a dream. i put it in the fridge with no problem and don't ever really get cracking. It also tastes pretty good, better than Satin Ice IMHO. Never tried Pettince so I can't compare.

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 10:59pm
post #15 of 23

you really do not need to soften it. Kneading will make it softer by itself. Too much shortening will make it harder to work wit. I cover dummy cakes all the time.

randipanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
randipanda Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 11:24pm
post #16 of 23

l have always been taught to add some gum-tex to make drapes. Or use a 50-50 gum paste/ fondant mixture. That will give some elasticity and stretch to your fondant and keep it from tearing. Works for me. Truthfully, I take everything they tell me in those classes with a grain of salt, I mean they just want to sell more gum tex, right? But I really did see a difference with this.

Randi

randipanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
randipanda Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 11:27pm
post #17 of 23

Sorry, I misread your original post and thought the problem was with another drape....Teach me to try to read while making dinner and keeping track of toddlers.

eneq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eneq Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 12:41am
post #18 of 23

bought fondx for the first time....such a dream! i will pay the extra money to keep from spending a hunk of my time making mmf. i like the reliability of premade fondant. i think i like fondx better than pettinice (white). i do like the pettinice chocolate fondant though.

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 1:11am
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix13

Im rolling 1/4 inch and here in sunny florida with the tropical storm going by it is very warm and humid, but not in the house. im actually thinking i liked mmf best even though it killed my arms. Its just that iI soon may be hired as a pastry chef in ahotel to cakes and I wont be able to spend all day rolling fondant for one cake. I'd like to find a good reliable fondant,do you guys prefer pettenice or fondx?

I live in Florida too so I know what you mean by warm and humid icon_smile.gif

If you are finding SatinIce to be soft, Fondx will be even softer - much more. Pettinice is slightly harder than SatinIce texture wise, and they taste almost the same.

Personally, I like using Fondx when I can get hold of it. I just knead more cornstarch into it to make it more stable. If Fondx is not available, I use SatinIce.

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 1:43am
post #20 of 23

Don't know if you saw this discussion, but you can request free samples from the website provided. It's a great way to "test" it out to see if you like it, before spending $$ onit=) I got mine in, and they were darn yummy! My favorite was the dark chocolate fondant=) Jen

http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=287163&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

ozcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ozcake Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 6:40am
post #21 of 23
Quote:
Quote:

So pettinice doeesn't tear for you ozcake, and your happy w/ it?

Sorry only just saw this so its a bit belated - normally I don't have problems with pettinice tearing as long as it is not rolled to thin I roll mine about 1/2cm thick (don't know what that is in inches). When it is humid and gets a bit sticky I put some icing sugar (powdered sugar) on the board and a little on the fondant but not very much just enough to stop it sticking and keep moving the fondant as you roll it (eg. roll move it 1/4 turn roll again etc).

My only real complaint about pettinice is that I have had a problem with crazing (fine cracks) on the edges sometimes although not sure if that is me or the fondant causing that icon_wink.gif That is one reason I wanted to try the fondx and the other was because I want to be able to put cakes in the coolroom at work and I had heard that fondx was good for that.

nicolag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolag Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 11:26am
post #22 of 23

I am a Satinice user. The last cake I covered was a 3 tier square and it had to be perfect...had problems with tears b4 too. This time I made sure not to roll it as thin as I had b4 and it worked like a dream - easier to pick up and drape over the cake and no tears at all. Rolling thicker seems to be a key factor here.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 2:32pm
post #23 of 23

I should probably start a new thread with this one, but I saw someone mention using shortening to roll out their fondant on and I had to jump in to give my tip - it's so easy it's silly:

I place parchment paper down on my table and roll out my fondant on that! I have never had a problem with sticking and it is so easy to lift the fondant off of - and much, much cleaner. Of course, I have so far only used MMF so I will have to see if the softer Fondx is just as easy...

icon_smile.gif Stacie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%