I Think I'm Going To Cry!

Decorating By Kristy Updated 21 Aug 2006 , 10:02am by hktaitai

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 20 Jun 2005 , 10:29pm
post #31 of 37

Thanks for the tips, Sqirrelly! Will definately try them when I do my next cake this week.

Debbi

niki_10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niki_10 Posted 6 Jul 2005 , 1:03pm
post #32 of 37

Have you heard of using sugar instead of the flour? I've tried it before and it works pretty good, and leaves a neat crust on the cake.

I always use parchment or wax paper on top though too. I grease, then put the paper down, then grease that, and then flour. I remember using sugar years ago and was delighted with the outcome. A friend told me about it. You just use regular old sugar (not powdered sugar).

icon_biggrin.gif

jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 6 Jul 2005 , 5:48pm
post #33 of 37

niki_10; Does the sugar burn at all when baking for such a long time with the larger layers?

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 6 Jul 2005 , 6:23pm
post #34 of 37

I feel for you!

I will NEVER grease & flour my pan again as long as I live!! I have been using Wilton's cake release since I took my classes, and it works PERFECTLY every time, my cakes just plop right out of the pan, with a smooth finish, & no crumbs. Last weekend I ran out, and had to grease & flour my pans for two cakes I was making. It was a DISASTER!! I greased/floured them thoroughly, but both layers of my cake completely stuck to the pan, I had to literally scrape them out, it was stuck so bad. The other cake came out of the pan, but it was all crumbly around the bottom. It was horrible, and it reminded me of my pre-wilton method class days, where I used to be in tears frequently over ruined cakes. Obviously that method works for some people, but I know I will NEVER try making a cake without using cake release again! I'm going to make my own before my next cake, I'm kind of afraid to try that now, too!

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 6 Jul 2005 , 6:49pm
post #35 of 37

Interesting Melissa because I have been doing this for more than 40 years with no problems. I think most of the time the issue is that folks do not cool their cakes long enough before removing. Cool any cake at least 15 minutes in the pan on a cooling rack, larger cake pans, 20-25 minutes. Always gently take a knife along the edges.
If you run out again and have to go with the Crisco and flour, line the greased and floured pan with either parchment or waxed paper. That way there will be absolutely no worry about the cake sticking to the pan.
Funny thing kiddo, the only time I ever have a cake stick to a pan is with a cake mix made as per the box instructions. Haha, that is likely why I always do doctored cake mixes or cakes from scratch. It is a most frustrating experience, that is for sure.
I suspect folks are either using not enough Crisco shortening or way, way too much or missing spots. Other than that, I cannot figure out why they would have any problems.
But as you said, stick with what works for you.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

niki_10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niki_10 Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 12:24am
post #36 of 37

jscakes, I am not sure. The lady that told me this trick was a cake decorator. I tried it on a few small cakes and it formed a really neat crust. Although these were just on basic cakes before I got into this whole cake decorating thing, so it was just something I did for fun. It might be worth a shot to try it on some extra batter though! icon_smile.gif

hktaitai Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hktaitai Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 10:02am
post #37 of 37

Have any of you tried Magic Baking sheets? I'm considering buying some of these to line my pans (since wax paper is expensive out here), and I too have had problems with cake sticking to pans which have been greased and floured.

According to a site, they are made of Teflon-coated fiberglass it can be wiped clean and is dishwasher safe. They can be cut to fit muffin cups (unlike silicone baking sheets, which can not be cut). Safe to 500F.?

So, if any of you out there have used these, please share your experiences. Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%