Wedding Cake Question(S) Continued.. Picture Link

Decorating By hsmomma Updated 3 Jun 2007 , 1:20pm by mallorymaid

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 3:33pm
post #1 of 3

Here is the picture I was talking about in a previous post (wedding cake questions)....
http://pictures.aol.com/ap/singleImage.do?pid=ec50akaIosNrbJKwbpqhLf8R2zxrkngLNBp1v4xQp5Fd3Ig%3D

Now, I have 2 choices...

1. Go to the hotel on Thursday for the Saturday wedding with the cake baked and smooth frosted. Do the piping Thursday at the hotel and take to the reception to put in the cooler on Friday (earliest I can use cooler if they allow). Then set up Saturday morning before the ceremony.

2. Bake, frost and pipe on Thursday at home and take directly to reception site on Friday morning (to use cooler) then set up Saturday morning for the Sat. reception.

Things to consider...3 hour drive, Mid August heat, 5 young kids in the hotel room with me (and dh and teenage neice to help with babysitting), I'm a bridesmaid, my daughter is the flowergirl, hotel does have a oven and apartment size fridge in the room. Is it best to drive it all piped and ready to go the 3 hours away or to do it in the hotel room? I'm leaning towards doing it at home just because the kids won't be underfoot as much while I'm doing it and because all my "stuff" is there. But, doing it at the hotel has the huge advantage of not making the long trip with all the delicate work on it. And if something goes wrong in travel I will have a complete extra day to fix it.
It's not something where I can go ahead a day early by myself to do it (because my baby is still little and will need to eat!! lol)

What would you do???

I know it sounds like alot of craziness. But, I'm SO looking forward to doing my sister's cake. She is so special to me....which is part of the reason I want it perfect.

2 replies
doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 8:00pm
post #2 of 3

How about you and baby go early and do the cake there? With just the baby you should be able to get it done. Now if that is not an option then do the decorating at home and take stuff just in case you need to repair the cakes. Lots of luck and congrats to your sis.

mallorymaid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mallorymaid Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 1:20pm
post #3 of 3

I had this same scenario for my brother's wedding. Wedding was several hours away and children were young, hubby, sadly, had to make a trip home to England as MIL passed away. I baked my cakes at home, then packed them, the fondant, mixer, rolling pin, bc ingredients piping bags, etc.(anything I thought I would need to put this cake together) to take along with me. Brother had access to the courtesy suite do to volume of rooms reserved for guests so I was able to use it to decorate cake. I made arrangements for one of my cousins to come with us to look after my children while I decorated. Wedding was on a Saturday, so I drove down on the Thursday, decorated cake on the Friday, set up cake on the Saturday am. The only stress I encountered was when I discovered that I had left my rolling pin in the roof top carrier on my car and my cousin was off site seeing with my children in my car!!
For me taking the time to plan the who what where for this cake took away the stress.
Good Luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%