Dear Friend..helping Or Hurting?

Decorating By FeGe_Cakes Updated 3 Jun 2007 , 1:18pm by cakesbycathy

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 6:19am
post #1 of 11

I have a friend who is very supportive of my cake hobby. She raves about my cakes and by her recommendations; I have gotten several orders from it. I do cakes for hobby, and do have a full-time job that pays way better than my cake hobby right now.

With that said, she is attending a baby shower where I am doing a cake for a friend of hers. She wants to "Show my Work". I think it is tacky and do not think it is appropriate to put out a portfolio of my work. (After all it is not a Wedding Expo). She has several of the cake pictures because I have done a lot of cakes for her in the past 6 months.

My theory is, if they are interested they can pick up a card and call. She thinks they need to see the possibilities of cakes (More than a verbal description).

Is it inappropriate to have a cake portfolio at a casual baby shower? Or am I being too PC?

10 replies
miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 6:46am
post #2 of 11

I have a Treo smartphone and keep it updated with cake pictures. That way, I can show my cakes if I need to.

When you get asked about your cakes, I think it is just alright to show them your portfolio.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 7:23am
post #3 of 11

I also feel weird showing photos or even giving cards out at private affairs. If someone wants you...they will find you (JMO) I only do work through referrals, anyway. (at this point of my career)

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 7:26am
post #4 of 11

You could have some photos of your work in your bag and then if anyone asks you could 'happen' to have some on you, maybe you're taking them to a friend's or something. I usually kick myself when I don't bring photos.

FeGe_Cakes Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 7:29am
post #5 of 11

WOW! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif adven68 your cakes are more than beautiful.

FeGe_Cakes Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 7:33am
post #6 of 11

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'm making too much of it. I just figured people would think it a little conceded if my cake portfolio was left at a party I am not attending.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 1:15am
post #7 of 11

I have 4 pictures of my cards printed on my namecards. If a customer picks up the cake or cookies, I always give them a couple to pass out, if they wish to do so. My website is on it so people who want to see more can go on there to check them out. Everytime I get new ones printed, I use different pics, so I always have some pics handy

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 1:19am
post #8 of 11

I would not be comfortable with that. Rather like a realtor bringing flyers of houses for sale. If asked I think it is alright to show a few photos, or give the person asking a business card or link to your photos.

nia0524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nia0524 Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 3:03am
post #9 of 11

I think showing pics of your cakes are fine...right before I started doing cakes, I was shopping at Michael's craft store and spotted this photo album that fits in my purse (it holds pictures that are a bit smaller that wallet sized photos)...I carry it around everywhere I go. When someone asks (it doesn't matter where I'm at) I can just pull it out and show them. Also, if I just happen to be carrying a smaller handbag, I always have my cell phone with me and it is filled with my latest and greatest pics.

It's not tacky, but wise to use every opportunity as a chance to promote yourself and congradulations for having a friend who wants to help promote you. thumbs_up.gif

Dawn2467 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dawn2467 Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 6:44am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by adven68

I also feel weird showing photos or even giving cards out at private affairs. If someone wants you...they will find you (JMO) I only do work through referrals, anyway. (at this point of my career)

Your "Spring Baby Shower" cake belongs on a t-shirt!!!...A FAVORITE of 640 !!!!!!!!!!

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 1:18pm
post #11 of 11

Since you are not going to be at the party, I do not think it would be appropriate to have a photo album of your work there. The focus should really be on the mother-to-be.

I think it is a great idea to carry a small album in your purse or bag to show if asked.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%