Help Lolipops Got Stuck!

Sugar Work By babyscake Updated 14 Jul 2006 , 9:47am by SugarCreations

babyscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babyscake Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 3:14pm
post #1 of 6

I just made hard candy for the first time and it got stuck on my molds! I used the recipe from and it said to grease my molds and wipe off excess! I let them cool almost completely and when i pulled the stick and tried to remove them they craked! What am I doing wrong? Oh can i use extract instead of oils? I made mine with oils and it was great but i want to use extract! Please help my sons b-day in 2 weeks! I want them as favors. I used the 3d dionsaur white plastic mold that looks similar to the chocolate molds. Thank you!

5 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 3:16pm
post #2 of 6

it works w/ chocolate...wonder if it would work here..

a short visit in the freezer might allow them to pop out.

SugarCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarCreations Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 1:23am
post #3 of 6

Don't put them in the freezer please thats sugars second worst enemy. Yes you can use extracts but I would add them at about 260F to give the alcohol time to cook off. As far as your sticking problem what kind of molds are you using? I would not wipe the excess off leave it there it will not hurt anything the more oil you have between your sugar and the mold the better. As far as the recipe I will look at it on baking 911.

Rgds Sugarcreations

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 1:27am
post #4 of 6

I agree with Sugarcreations.... don't wipe the excess off until AFTER the candy has set. However, I'm glad you posted because I just got my delivery of hard candy stuff that I was thinking about trying this weekend.

babyscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babyscake Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 2:55am
post #5 of 6

THANK YOU GUYS! HERE IS A SITE I FOUND WITH THE MOLD I BOUGHT. IT IS COMPLEX I THINK MAYBE I SHOULD GO WITH SILICONE , BUT ITS HARD TO FIND DINOSAURS. http://www.prettypartyplace.com/lorann-5538.html. I DIDNT ADD THE CITRIC ACID. SHOULD I? THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP THIS WILL MAKE MY SONS BIRTHDAY! AND IS THERE ANOTHER RECIPE FOR PULLED SUGAR? I TRIED MESSING WITH THIS HARD CANDY RICIPE BUT IT COOLED DOWN TOO MUCH TO MESS WITH IT! LOL. THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN! THIS IS THE HARD CANDY REICPE.
LL

SugarCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarCreations Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 9:47am
post #6 of 6

Normally in molding sugar of this type you would not add acid to it as you want the piece to have some rigidity and structure and since acid will make the sugar softer its not normally added. In your case I would have added the acid to it. Acid reduces moistures effect on sugar ,citric acid is weak but its only for use in your recipe. Yes I would have added it.

Rgds Sugarcreations

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%