Bobby Flay - Wedding Cake Throwdown Tonight!!

Decorating By ncdessertdiva Updated 15 Jul 2006 , 4:06pm by Nitu

ncdessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncdessertdiva Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 2:31pm
post #1 of 38

FYI . . . Bobby Flay's Throwdown will be a Wedding Cake. Showing at 10:30pm EDT on the Food Network.
Leslie

37 replies
spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 2:50pm
post #2 of 38

Thanks!

emilykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilykakes Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 2:52pm
post #3 of 38

Cool!!! I am gonna set TIVO for it! Is Bobby Flay hosting or competing? Kinda hard to imagine Mr.BBQ elbow deep in royal icing and gumpaste flowers!

Jasra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasra Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 2:52pm
post #4 of 38

Thanks, I'll go set my PVR now!

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 2:54pm
post #5 of 38

Thanks for the post! don't want to miss this!

HeatherMari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherMari Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 2:57pm
post #6 of 38

He is competing! This show is people challenging him to different things. I really wanted to see this one!
Thanks for the info!

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 3:00pm
post #7 of 38

Thanks for the heads up..setting DVR now!

FunCakesVT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FunCakesVT Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 3:07pm
post #8 of 38

Fabulous! Thanks for the 'head up'!

da_goof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
da_goof Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 9:25pm
post #9 of 38

Ok people FYI for all of you on this side lol In calif Fly is on at 7 pm here got it marked thsnks for the info.

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 3:53am
post #10 of 38

Oh, yeesh, I saw this too late. Hopefully they will repeat it soon, maybe tonight, huh? Or maybe this weekend sometime. Oohh, Bobby Flay and wedding cake? I can't wait...........

shrek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shrek Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 3:56am
post #11 of 38

i saw the show and i think bobby did an ok job for his first wedding cake.

JulieB Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 4:04am
post #12 of 38

Well, I am in the central time zone, and they are just repeating the Iron Chef episode, after that comes the two Throwdown episodes, so it will play at 12:30 our time.

I will now desert y'all, and spend some quality time with my man Bobby Flay! LOL

da_goof Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 5:29am
post #13 of 38

Ok i am in calif and the throw down here was on chowder with him and not cakes so wonder what is up with the different areas

da_goof Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 5:33am
post #14 of 38

ok it was after the chowder epsoid ok i let you know what i think of him lol

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 5:34am
post #15 of 38

The chowder episode was on first and the wedding cake episode is on right now here in Arkansas, 12:30AM Central time

slejdick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slejdick Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 5:49am
post #16 of 38

I'm watching it now also, it started at 1:30 a.m. here in Cincinnati. icon_surprised.gif

Please don't tell DH I'm still up, he'd have a fit! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif

Laura.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 6:03am
post #17 of 38

Well, it's over now. And I am so glad I stayed up to watch it!
I think Bobby did a great job for his first-ever wedding cake.
But Michelle Doll's cake was gorgeous.

No comparison.

I wish I could have tasted them.

slejdick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slejdick Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 6:09am
post #18 of 38

The recipes are on Food Network's website - I think they both sound great, but I'd love to try Michelle's cake. I just might have to make one (a small one) to try!

Laura.

da_goof Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 12:23pm
post #19 of 38

I think he did a good job for not knowing what to do or how to dlooked good.o it lol

dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 2:09pm
post #20 of 38

For those who missed it - it will be on again ! Many times!

Aug 12 - 10 pm ET/PT
Aug 13 - 1:30 am ET/PT
Aug 24 - 10 pm ET/PT
Aug 25 - 1 am ET/PT
Aug 27 - 4 pm ET/PT
11 pm ET/PT
Aug 28 - 2 am ET/PT

FunCakesVT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FunCakesVT Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 2:16pm
post #21 of 38

Thanks dydemus! I missed the last 5 minutes; my company arrived at exactly 10:55!!!

And, slejdick, I'm with YOU. I LOVE coconut and chocolate, so it sounded so divine...my DH can not tolerate coconut, but maybe a little cupcake version for just me...hmmm...

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 4:07pm
post #22 of 38

I watched this last night and I think I like it..
Michelle's Dolls cake was very nice.. and I think the top layers were dummy cakes, because there was no way she could pick up that third layer that easily if it was real. She held it on it's side and the buttom didn't fall..just my observation. I have never heard of her 'til last night, but I think she is very good cake maker and her cakes are very elegant and fabulous looking. Not the very "busy" looking kind. She is also pretty and tall. Considering that Bobby has never made a wedding cake before, I think he did a good job. I think I will watch that show again..I go to bed late anyway. But I'm sure it won't be cakes all the time. I'm excited about "Ace Of Cakes"...Now this is all about cakes !! can't afford to miss this one. icon_smile.gif

JulieB Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 6:08pm
post #23 of 38

Bobby did a great job, I think. After all, he's Bobby.

I thought it was marvelous when he showed up. You could tell Michelle wasn't that worried. After all, wedding cakes take more than a few hours to learn........ hers was beautiful, and sounded delicious.

Bobby was wise to go mainly for the taste. I loved his sense of humor. He went to the same school as Michelle, and said he did NOT graduate at the top of his class........ LOL But his cake really did sound delicious. I loved his banter with Michelle.

And I can't wait for Ace of Cakes.

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 6:32pm
post #24 of 38

I love Bobby Flay and really enjoy him but he was a bust to me last night on the bake off and I think it was ridiculous for the producers of the show to pit him against a cake decorator. I'm sure he did not ice the cakes that he brought to the throw down...did you see how smooth the icing was? He never could have gotten it that smooth himself with so little training-it looked so different from the one he did at the FoodNetwork kitchen. They need to keep Bobby cooking...not baking. My 2 cents.

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 6:44pm
post #25 of 38

dydemus, Does that mean it won't be on again until August? I just saw the post about it icon_sad.gif

yummyhobby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummyhobby Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 6:51pm
post #26 of 38

what is Ace of Cakes and when does it come on...... I saw last nights episode of Bobby Flay. I agree with whoever said he did not ice those cakes. haha! I told my DH that those do NOT look the same.

cocakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocakedecorator Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 6:57pm
post #27 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsgranny

I love Bobby Flay and really enjoy him but he was a bust to me last night on the bake off and I think it was ridiculous for the producers of the show to pit him against a cake decorator. I'm sure he did not ice the cakes that he brought to the throw down...did you see how smooth the icing was? He never could have gotten it that smooth himself with so little training-it looked so different from the one he did at the FoodNetwork kitchen. They need to keep Bobby cooking...not baking. My 2 cents.

i am not a fan of bobby flay, but i agree that he was bust last night w/ the bake off. There is no way he iced that cake. I think the show in general is boring, I was not impressed. Just my opinion. icon_smile.gif

dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 6:59pm
post #28 of 38

Imartsy - As far as I know - not til August! That's what it said on the Food Network website.

I want to know about Ace of Cakes too!! Is that with Duff Goldman?

And I think it's great that Bobby Flay went up against a cake artist. He's always Mr. Perfect - it's good to see him out of his element!! It also shows he is able to laugh at himself and be okay with not being the best at everything!

redsoxgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redsoxgirl Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 6:59pm
post #29 of 38

i Believe Ace of Cakes is a new series featuring Duff Goldman. Not sure when it starts though.

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 7:07pm
post #30 of 38

Is this for Friday the 14th? I couldn't find it anywhere. There was an Iron Chef with Bobby for Sunday, but it doesn't say if it's wedding cake or not.

Did I miss it completely? I'm in CA.

Thanks,

Sarah

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%