Some People Have Nerve...

Decorating By VACakelady Updated 3 Jun 2007 , 12:47am by Jorre

VACakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VACakelady Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 11:13pm
post #1 of 40

Last night I took a chocolate cheesecake and an apple pie cheesecake to work for a coworker who ordered them. I placed them in the refrigerator and let him know where they were. He paid me and that was that. This morning shortly after I left work, I got a phone call from him. Someone STOLE the chocolate cheesecake and left the apple pie one there. I felt so bad even though this wasn't my fault. I hate to leave things in those big community refrigerators because, for one, they stink to high heaven, and people have no respect for other peoples things. It makes me so angry that someone would do this, I mean a whole 9" cheesecake! Do people just think that everything is community property and they can have whatever they want? That person did not pay for it, they had no right to it, and the purchaser had plans for it and now he's out the money and the cheesecake. GRRRRR, I have half a mind to type up a nasty note and stick it to that refrigerator.

One thought though, I am hoping that someone may call me to order one after "tasting a piece that someone brought into work" and I can get the name of the person who "brought it". Might be able to find out the culprit that way, but I won't hold my breath. Thanks for letting me vent.

39 replies
Tramski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tramski Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 11:18pm
post #2 of 40

That is definitely rude. I have to put names on things all the time and then I still don't hold my breath on the idea of it being there. I don't know what is up with people thinking they can get away with things like that.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 11:19pm
post #3 of 40

I would put a sign up stating that the chocolate cheesecake was paid for by a coworker and that anyone wanting to order one can feel free to call you at the following number, but anyone who hasn't ordered and paid for one shouldn't remove one from the fridge!! The nerve of some people!!!!

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 11:20pm
post #4 of 40

i'd go for it and put a note on the fridge. not a nasty one, but hopefully theyd get the point and feel bad even if they dont fess up.

melysa Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 11:21pm
post #5 of 40

maybe you could post the bill on the fridge icon_smile.gif
you might find an anonymous payment the next day hehe....

Blue0877 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Blue0877 Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 11:22pm
post #6 of 40

That is so rude and I feel really sorry for your customer. I would also put a "not rude" note that makes a very clear point!! some people just have no common decency!! icon_mad.gif

lilscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilscakes Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 11:23pm
post #7 of 40

That is beyond rude! I would post a note on the fridge. Word it carefully. The word will get out amongst the staff and if nothing else the culprit may think twice about "stealing" from others. That is a real low, cheap, and terribly dishonest thing to do. Get the message out to the culprit otherwise if nothing is said, it will undoubtedly happen again and again with all kinds of things.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 11:25pm
post #8 of 40

" i'd go for it and put a note on the fridge. not a nasty one, but hopefully theyd get the point and feel bad even if they dont fess up."

I wouldn't be worried about saying something "nasty" to a THIEF....It's not as if he or she would get hurt feelings or something.......

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 11:26pm
post #9 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

I would put a sign up stating that the chocolate cheesecake was paid for by a coworker and that anyone wanting to order one can feel free to call you at the following number, but anyone who hasn't ordered and paid for one shouldn't remove one from the fridge!! The nerve of some people!!!!

What a jerk! God, some people just have NO CLASS!!! icon_mad.gifBut I agree with K here, put a BIG sign on the fridge door:

Whomever took the chocolate cheesecake from this refrigerator on (date), please come and see me. I would like to know how well you liked it, especially in light of the fact that the cake you took was purchased by someone else for an event and now they are out both their money and their cheesecake. Next time, either ask or don't touch!!!Signed, The Office Cake Baking Diva

Some people are just so rude!

Odessa

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 11:27pm
post #10 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by melysa

maybe you could post the bill on the fridge icon_smile.gif
you might find an anonymous payment the next day hehe....

I like this idea.

Or maybe "Will the person who removed the cheesecake please pay so-and-so X amount $ since deciding to help yourself to someone else's custom made dessert.:

OR - as from the person who ordered the cakes
(this may be a little bit of an embelishment)

Dear Cheesecake stealer,
Thank you for making my daughter's 6th birthday a special one. It was great seeing the look on her face when I told her that someone STOLE her favorite birthday cake right from the fridge.

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 11:28pm
post #11 of 40

A college student learned to mark his food "tofu" or "lab experiment" to prevent his roommates from stealing his food. You may have to do the same at work!
We used to have a food thief at work, but he left, and now everyone's food is safe. Pretty bad.

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 11:29pm
post #12 of 40

That is just completely rude and out of line. augh. how would that one person like for their lunch to get stolen. rude! I like putting up a bill idea. LOL To: Anon person who took the cheesecake. icon_lol.gif

BTW: love your signature. too funny.

Sunspotalli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunspotalli Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 11:29pm
post #13 of 40

OMG that is just terrible, some people just have no manners at all. I work in a building with a community fridge and i NEVER use it. i bring a cooler. Obviously in this situation that wouldn't work, but man the nerve. Sad thing is if they took it they really don't care.

susgene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susgene Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 11:29pm
post #14 of 40

Unbelievable! Just why do people think they have a right to touch (or take) something that is not theirs??? Grrrrrr This is one of my biggest pet peeves.

I like the idea of leaving the bill on the frig and a sign saying if you took the cheesecake, you owe me $XXX.

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 11:30pm
post #15 of 40

That happened to once. I know who ate the cake too. She was notorius for "wolfing" down the food before anyone got to it. Even with names on the cake she ate it. Stated that if it was in the company fridge it was fair game. Believe me she could eat. She would sit thru a 8 course meal and still want dessert.

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 11:30pm
post #16 of 40

OR..........next time make a "setup" cheesecake laced with exlax. icon_evil.gif ok, jk icon_biggrin.gif

but that is definately rude. I would leave a note saying that someone paid for that and had plans for the cheesecake maybe someone knows who took it and will let you know.

melysa Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 11:31pm
post #17 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by grama_j

" i'd go for it and put a note on the fridge. not a nasty one, but hopefully theyd get the point and feel bad even if they dont fess up."

I wouldn't be worried about saying something "nasty" to a THIEF....It's not as if he or she would get hurt feelings or something.......

your probably right, but being nasty is only stooping to their level. we shouldnt let people walk all over us, but we can conduct ourselves with integrity for our own sake.

idoweddingcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idoweddingcookies Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 11:35pm
post #18 of 40

Oh my, can't you talk to the boss about this.. That is outrageous.

I do all the staff birthdays at my DD work and someone ordered a cake for their family event. I was going to deliver it to her work as normal but she said NO way, the staff will eat it.. I said no, who would do that if they know it's not their's? she advised me that they didn't care..this was at a dentist's office.

I would either talk to the boss, so they can send out an email or as suggested leave a note on the fridge.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 11:44pm
post #19 of 40

There is nothing sacred in community refrigerators. A gentleman I worked with had his lunch stolen almost every day for three weeks. One day he decided to make cat food sandwiches and see what happened. Sure enough, he not only saw that the lunch was stolen, but the bag and sandwich wrapper were in the trash.

He then posted a note on the wall in the common room, stating what was on the sandwich, and that he hoped the person gets sick from eating it. Needless to say, his lunch was never stolen again!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

brilandken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brilandken Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 11:44pm
post #20 of 40

How rude! I can't believe the nerve of some people.

freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 11:45pm
post #21 of 40

This story reminds me of an office food theif I heard about not too long ago. he was notorious for stealing food out of people's desk drawers, of their desks etc. Well, one day a man found that a rat had been eating the food in his drawer, so he left it out on his desk for the janitor or whoever to see it. Food Stealer walked by, not knowing that a rat had eaten off of it and took it. Later the man came back and said I wonder what happened to the food I left out. I wanted to show you that a rat was eating it, or some such thing. That cured the food stealer. But seriously what this cheesecake thief did was unbelievable.!!!!!

crislen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crislen Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 11:47pm
post #22 of 40

What a world we live in. I feel so bad for you and your customer, what a horrible situation!

I hate to say it, but this doesn't surpirse me the least. I work in a building with about 100 professionals and a communal lunch room. Name - labelled items are considered free game; ppl will eat other ppls lunches with out a second thought. I was lucky once leaving a cheesecake in there for a day without anyone eating it, but no luck with ice cream.

What has worked at my company for other people is a politely, if not a little sarastic, email sent out company wide following along the lines of what other ppl mentioned:

"Sorry for the mass email but I'm hoping whoever enjoyed the cheesecake from the fridge on XX will honour the cost of XX for the custom ordered cake. So and So had ordered that cake and sincerely hopes you enjoyed it."

The note on the fridge may target ppl that use the fridge, but the mass email could really embarass them if other people saw them take or eat the cake who don't use the fridge.

Some people definitely have nerve!

freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 11:47pm
post #23 of 40

Ooh ooh I have an idea make a cheesecake FULL of some kind of staining food dye, so that when they eat they will have the evidence stuck all over them....*evil villian laugh* bwahahahaha just call me the food avenger! bwahahahaha.......

okay I really need more sleep! LOL

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 11:48pm
post #24 of 40

My uncles, while in high school, took care of the local locker-lunch thief by making ex lax cookies and putting them in a locker as bait. Worked great. thumbs_up.gif

alibugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alibugs Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 11:53pm
post #25 of 40

I once made choclate covered soap for Aprils fool day for my friend. She ate the whole piece. I tried to tell her, but I was laughing so hard and I thought she would taste it. She threw up Caress and chocolate. I felt so bad, I ate a piece also and threw up. She refuses to smell or use any Caress products.
Why do I say this? Make some Caress covered chocolate. It won't make them sick, but it will. Teach them a lesson.

aoliveira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aoliveira Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 11:59pm
post #26 of 40

I agree that you should leave a note. That is unacceptable for a coworker to do that to another coworker. You think you can trust the people you work with.

Someone posted a sample note and I think it's brilliant. And leave the bill too. How rude!!

Please let us know how this story ends!!!

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 12:07am
post #27 of 40

Do you plan to make your co-worker who paid for the cheesecake another one? If I put it in the fridge myself, then I would replace it. If I delivered it to him personally and he put it in the fridge, then I would not feel so obligated. Definitely post a note or send out a company email if possible.

nalyjuan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nalyjuan Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 12:10am
post #28 of 40

This use to happen to my sister all the time where she worked at. No matter how many notes were left someone always took the food that was in the fridge. So one day my sister left some soup in a container. Sure enough it was gone. My sister then went back and wrote a letter that read something to the effect of

Dear Mr or Ms I have to eat everything that doesn't belong to me:

I really hope you enjoyed the soup because if you found it tasty I would love to tell you the ingredients I used. She went on to list really nasty things like phlem, snot, etc. (she really didn't put that in there...at least I hope not... icon_surprised.gif )

Well, can I just say food was NEVER taken out of the fridge again!

I also LOVE the chocolate covered Caress! I may have to give that one to my sister ...just in case... icon_wink.gif

icon_smile.gif Carmen

Steph2325 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steph2325 Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 12:12am
post #29 of 40

I would play a dirty trick on the food thief, the food tricks mentioned previously would be a place to start. Hmmm, so we know the food thief has a sweet tooth...food dye is a good one, chocolate covered soap is good also. I LOVE the cat food sandwich idea. They had it coming! icon_evil.gif

You could also put a note on the food item such as: "XYZ Labs: Please test for possible e-coli contamination." (write down a real lab in your area)

As for this problem in general, why not put up a spy cam? You can get a cheap little hidden camera for $30 or so. I would pay for it myself if I worked in an office with this problem.

Happy Day,
Steph

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 12:24am
post #30 of 40

I also had that happen. I would do cakes for peoples birthdays at work and this one guy Frank would dig into it before anyone else got to it!
Then when I left there, I had the lady taking my place ordering from me. Someone swiped a pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving time! And then the other one they poured salt on the top of it. People like that are just mean and nasty and eventually they will get whats coming to them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%