Anyone Use Rich's Bettercreme Icing?

Decorating By sun33082 Updated 17 Jan 2016 , 7:01am by auvilpartyof6

sun33082 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sun33082 Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 12:34pm
post #1 of 49

I have a few questions about it. I'm considering buying it from Sam's club bakery this weekend for a cake at the end of the month. and others in the future.

1. This is the "cool whip" icing everyone likes right?

2. This is the pre-made version. I can freeze it right? They said they use it straight out of the bucket, do you do that? or do you re-whip?

3. How do you smooth the icing? I'm guessing you can't use the paper towel method.

4. Anyone tried the chocolate version?

5. Any disadvantages to using it over buttercream?

I'm really excited about buying this. The woman on the phone said they sell it in 15 pound buckets for like $22. I did the math and that's even cheaper than making 15 pounds of buttercream at home. Plus the Rich's website says it covers twice as many cakes as buttercream, pound for pound. So I guess that means it's more like having 30 pounds of buttercream. I just know a lot of people like the "cool whip" frosting and I wasn't able to find any recipes that sounded economical or easy enough to try.

Thanks for the info!

48 replies
sun33082 Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 1:31pm
post #2 of 49

Guess I gotta bump myself lol

SweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetArt Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 1:47pm
post #3 of 49

We used it all the time in the bakery I worked at. Though, we never froze it after it was whipped up, so I don't know what that would do to it, we just refrigerated it and used as needed. It is the "cool whip" type icing. You only need to whip it if it is getting too soft. If you whip it too much, it will get very stiff and be near impossible to spread on a cake. I don't think you can use Viva on it either. It is a non-crusting icing and will stick to it. The chocolate version tastes like light chocolate "cool Whip", but we didn't use that one very often. I don't think there are any disadvantages to it other than it's non-crusting.

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 1:54pm
post #4 of 49

I love the rich's. The chocolate is tasty too. I used it for piping borders on ice cream cakes at baskin robbins. We didn't ice with it. I thought it needed to stay refrigerated, though. Can you put your bucket in the fridge? Can you use it up before it expires? Just a couple things to ask.

When I used it, it came in cartons like whipped cream, and you poured it in the mixer to whip up. I am assuming they get it in cartons and whip it up and put it in a bucket. (I could be totally wrong) I would ask some more questions. It is a great product.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 1:59pm
post #5 of 49

I didn't know that Sam's Club would sell it to you. I'll have to check into that here where I live .... I have one not far from my house.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 2:07pm
post #6 of 49

I didn't know ya could buy that stuff. I LOVE that frosting as well. I have tried making the whipped cream, creamy whipped, etc frosting recipes from this site and none of them have come out like the Sam's Club or Costco frosting. So do ya gotta call them ahead of time and let'em know ya want a bucket?
Does anyone have a recipe that actually comes out tasting like those?

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 2:15pm
post #7 of 49

Hi sun33082. I use the pre-whipped everyday at work.
It is the one similar to cool whip.
you can freeze it. although, after the bucket has thawed, I wouldn't recommend refreezing it. So, take your cooler when you get there and make sure they give you one from the freezer and not from their cooler. once thawed, you have 14 days in the cooler/refrigerator to use it.
The cakes, once decorated, can be frozen up to 14 days.
It is shelf stable in a cooler for up to 7 days and without a cooler for 5 days. It won't spoil without refrigeration in that time. The longer it stays out of refrigeration, the more difficult it is to work with. It gets airy and hard to smooth...lots of air bubbles ...IF BUCKET STAYS OUT TOO LONG. What I recommend is, to remove what you will be working with from the bucket...put bucket back in the freezer...put what you will be needing in cooler...it should thaw in cooler and not on the counter. unless you will be going through that amount in 14 days...in that case, put the whole thing in cooler to thaw.
There is handling information on the side of the bucket(I may be off on the 5 and 7 day thing)
It tends to stiffen up quickly when gel colorants are mixed with it....so, once mixed be ready to decorate.
I prefer buttercream over it because first off...the whipped is like tar trying to clean it up...I like the stability of the buttercream....I like the mixability of the buttercream
The chocolate is good...you have to add a few more smoothing strokes to it to get it to smooth though.
ASK THEM FOR A TASTE OF IT. icon_smile.gif They should be more than willing to allow you to taste it.

all4cake Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 2:20pm
post #8 of 49

ntertayneme
Sam's club will sell pretty much everything they use in the bakery, in case quantities. What they don't sell though is the decorations for the cakes and the labeling. but, as far as the breads, cookies, the 1/2 sheets, 10" rounds, icings, most of the packaging....may take 'em a few minutes, but they can quote you a price on it

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 2:38pm
post #9 of 49

I use it at home all the time. When I get it from Sam's, I transfer it to smaller containers, that way I can just put the smaller container in the fridge to defrost. I find it easy to color and work with, but it is hard to get smooth. You cannot use viva with it because it stays moist. but you can get close. It is very easy to pipe, but keep it cold. If it stiffens up on me I mix it gently with a spoon and it smooths out, I don't whip it because it will get stiffer. My customers love the taste of it and are suprised because its not overly sweet like buttercream can be. The chocolate is delicious and tastes a bit like chocoalte ice cream! BTW..the bakery dept. will appreciate it if you call ahead. Sometimes they are running low and will not give it out, but if you call ahead they will put it aside for you with your name on it. Make sure you specify that you want a FROZEN one, otherwise you may get a defrosted one. HTH

qtkaylassweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtkaylassweets Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 2:41pm
post #10 of 49

I use Rich's quite often. I used it on my birthday cake because I was in a hurry.
It was very good and everyone loved it!

After doing each cake, I put it in the freezer. It does not harden or anything.
I really like the convienience of it. If they told you $22 for a bucket, jump on that!!! That is a great deal!!! I pay 3.50 for a quart at GFS.

sun33082 Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 3:15pm
post #11 of 49

Thanks for all the great info and reassurance! I definitely want to use it. I had heard someone put it in smaller containers and that's what I planned to do cuz I'm not doing enough cakes yet to use a whole bucket in 14 days. I'm thinking of buying a small chest freezer but keep talking myself out of it.

I'll be sure to call them again before I go to get it. Definitely want a frozen bucket and don't want to drive across town and find out they don't have any to sell me. I had called GFS too, but the smallest they could sell me was like 6 6.5 pound containers for $53 (I'm guessing it was the liquid form that you have to whip). I think I would prefer the convience of the already whipped and both are still cheaper than making the buttercream that most people don't seem to like.

sun33082 Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 3:19pm
post #12 of 49

Oh and if you go to Richs.com they show that they sell it in liquid form and pre-whipped form. So Sam's doesn't just whip it and put it in a bucket, it comes in a bucket to them.

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 3:31pm
post #13 of 49

Jumping on the bandwagon.. so this tastes like whipped icing and not buttercream? I have trieds the chocolate from Smart and final ( I use it for mocha mousse), but they didn't have the white one for me to try. Of course this is in the quart container that u have to whip

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 3:36pm
post #14 of 49

ok...here's an out there question of the "mad scientist" variety.

Has anyone ever whipped it up and then blended it w/ buttercream?

sun33082 Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 3:44pm
post #15 of 49

Interesting question doug. Now I'm curious! As long as it didn't do something weird and funky, I would think that would be a really good way to "mellow out" buttercream.

tinascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinascakes Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 3:45pm
post #16 of 49

Wow, what a great price. I think I pay $2.95 a quart. I didn't know you could get it from Sams Club. I think the nearest one is about 45 minutes away, I'll have to check it out. Right now I go to Rich's to get it and that's about 1 1/2 hrs away.

Cindy_Gl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy_Gl Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 10:01pm
post #17 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

ok...here's an out there question of the "mad scientist" variety.

Has anyone ever whipped it up and then blended it w/ buttercream?

Yes I treid that and it is NASTY! the two DO NOT MIX. When I first learned to decorate my instructor (privte one from Richs Company) warned me never to mix them. I just thought one day I would try it anyway, and the consistency is terrible because it doesn't incorporate, and the taste is awful.

I own a small gracoery store with my husband and I am in charge of the bakery. 90 percent of my customers want the richs whipped frosting. It does taste GREAT, it isn't very sweet. The tubs come to me frozen already mixed, just open and use. It doesn't work to refreeze, so make sure you just thaw out the amount you need. I ice my cake with a frosting bag with an icer tip in it. As far as getting it smooth, I use a plastic scraper (like a bench scraper) I set the cake on the turn table and run my scraper along the cake as I am spinning it around. It comes out very smooth. The viva method will not work, this icing has lots of moisture, and won't crust.

I don't have any pictures in my file. I try to keep my business stuff off my page. At the store all I do is sheet cakes iced in Richs, and air brushed and plastic decorations. Nothing ever as cool as the cakes here.

I started coming here when my daughter begged me to mkae her wedding cake from scratch. A three tiered cake with filling frosted with buttercreme , with fondant pearls. UGH!!! I had never done a stacked cake until a few weeks ago. GEEZ, what we do for our kids. lol

Richs is very easy to work with, its what I learned with. You can even master roses, don't let the soft consistency scare you.

throwemndapan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
throwemndapan Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 10:15pm
post #18 of 49

all4cake R U saying Sam's will sell cake pans?

butterflyjuju Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflyjuju Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 5:19am
post #19 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by throwemndapan

all4cake R U saying Sam's will sell cake pans?

I'm not all4cake but I'll answer. Sam's bakeries generally do not bake their own cakes. The receive them in frozen and just decorate them.

Viks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Viks Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 5:46am
post #20 of 49

Rich's is incredibly easy to smooth...after years using it in a grocery store bakery, I was shocked at how difficult it is to ice a flat cake smooth in BC!
I love the taste too, although it does start to taste & smell a bit funny after a few days, even refridgerated. We always dated things for a week at the grocery store, but trust me, it's better the first day or two icon_lol.gif

It doesn't set up like BC though, and sometimes it's a disadvantage to have an icing that stays soft icon_sad.gif But if you can buy it cheap & thaw only a cake's worth at a time, then go for it! Great with fresh fruit cakes too!

Cindy, I tried mixing the two also, bad, bad, bad! icon_sad.gif And yes, it doesn't really mix, but stays streaky, yuck!

all4cake Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 5:57am
post #21 of 49

thank you butterflyjuju
sam's club bakery will sell:
most packaging and case quantity product....not equipment and not the decorations for the cakes(poptops, kits, confetti, gel colors)

all4cake Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 6:02am
post #22 of 49

and another thing...for those who don't think that they'll go through an entire bucket of whipped icing for decorated cakes...it can also be incorporated into desserts that call for cool whip...like the super simple peanut butter pie...chocolate mousse pie...numerous others
just something to think about...

cakesandbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesandbakes Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 6:29am
post #23 of 49

I worked in a Sam's Club bakery for 12 years before leaving when I opened my own and all of these other postings are correct. Because it "non dairy" whipped topping it does not have to be refridgerated although Rich's says it should but it does taste much better when it is chilled. I buy both my Buttercream and whipped cream at Sam's still plus many packaging materials (like 1/2 sheet pads that are like $11 for 50 instead of buying the wilton ones that are like a dollar a piece) As a former Sam's employee I can tell you if you just stop in and tell them you want something in bulk it will take time to look up item numbers for pricing, but if you call ahead and talk to the bakery manager they can print you off a price list of everything they are allowed to sell by the case, then you can call ahead and they can add it to there order every week. I get 2 buckets of Buttercream every week icon_biggrin.gif Hope this helps!!

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 6:35am
post #24 of 49

Thanks cakesandbakes! I only knew about getting bettercreme! I will definetely call them for those supplies in the future!

cakesandbakes Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 6:36am
post #25 of 49

NO, I also don't suggest mixing the whipped and the buttercream together, but it does mix well with puddings to make more of a mousse type filling MMMM

cakesandbakes Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 6:41am
post #26 of 49

Yeah it's a great deal if you have storage room and will use that many, I get pads and boxes for both full and half sheets plus the round containers and cardboard circles, They only have them in 12" but for the price a box of 250 of them work out to be like 10cents each. So I use them for the diffent smaller sizes of wedding cakes and cut them down.

sun33082 Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 6:54am
post #27 of 49

I'm loving all of this "inside" info!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 1:07pm
post #28 of 49

Thanks all for the "oh-no don't go there" on trying to mix Rich's w/ BC.

of course now, ya all got me thinking about all the mousse type things i could create!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

marcimang Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marcimang Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 1:31pm
post #29 of 49

thnaks for all the info. My church has been buying rich's for awhile and I have been wondering what I could do with it. Now I can give it a try. Also thanks for the info on the circles. I am always on the look out for cheap supplies!

carilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carilyn Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 1:49pm
post #30 of 49

do all sams have a bakery dept? I don't think ours does. Would walmart have this icing?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%