Flower Nail As Heating Core

Decorating By Kristy Updated 30 May 2005 , 11:52pm by m0use

Kristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kristy Posted 27 May 2005 , 9:38pm
post #1 of 5

Hey everyone, I know there's topics about using flower nails as heating cores in 11x15" cakes, but I'm about to make a 16" square cake and a 8" square cake. Question #1: How many flower nails would be sufficient for the 16" cake? Question #2: Do I need to use one for the 8" cake? I've made many 9" round cakes with no problem without it. I'm hoping that I'll only need one nail--that's all I have!!

4 replies
Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 27 May 2005 , 10:35pm
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristy

Hey everyone, I know there's topics about using flower nails as heating cores in 11x15" cakes, but I'm about to make a 16" square cake and a 8" square cake. Question #1: How many flower nails would be sufficient for the 16" cake? Question #2: Do I need to use one for the 8" cake? I've made many 9" round cakes with no problem without it. I'm hoping that I'll only need one nail--that's all I have!!

If I personaly was baking these cake I would not use one.. Knock on wood I have been baking for 7 years now and I have never used out but in the Doll pan I bake all of my cakes at 325 till done and they come out just fine... Even my Full Sheet Cake....

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 30 May 2005 , 2:54pm
post #3 of 5

I would use 1 flower nail in the 11x15 and 1 flower nail in the 16" square.
No nail needed in the 8" square.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 30 May 2005 , 11:40pm
post #4 of 5

I make a lot of 11 x 15 and have never had to use a flower nail. Guess all ovens cook differently! In the 16" square one, it might not hurt to put a flower nail in the middle..remember to grease/flour it first!!!

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 30 May 2005 , 11:52pm
post #5 of 5

I used to not use it in the 11x15, but I then noticed how it helped my cakes bake more level so I started using it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%