Freezing Cakes...

Decorating By Amy729 Updated 12 Jun 2007 , 7:44am by JanH

Amy729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy729 Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 1:14pm
post #1 of 10

I am new to cake decorating and have never frozen cakes. I always bake early in the morn. or the day before. I can see how the more cakes that you have to bake the less time to do that, so please someone give me the best way start to finish to do this. I really appriciate all this wonderful advice from you all experienced cake decorators!!

9 replies
mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 1:26pm
post #2 of 10

Welcome Amy!

I'm also fairly new to cake decorating. A few months ago I wondered the same thing as you.
I bake my cakes and if time allows, put them in the freezer overnight, and take them out the next day and decorate them. Be sure to completely seal the bag before putting into the freezer. I wrap the cake really good with Saran Wrap then if they'll fit, put them in a Ziploc baggie. I don't torte or anything before freezing.
I'll take them out and make icing while the cake comes to room temp. Others say you can decorate them right away and I have also done that a couple of times with no problems and the cakes tasted great.

jobartwo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobartwo Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 1:29pm
post #3 of 10

There are several posts on this site that say to wrap your cakes in saran wrap as soon as they come out of the oven and straight to the freezer. I have tried this and it does work. As long as they are wrapped in saran and then in a freezer bag (you can get huge ones now) you are fine baking weeks in advance and still be assured a fresh cake.

brilandken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brilandken Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 1:30pm
post #4 of 10

Here is a link to a thread about frozen and fresh cakes. I never thought about freezing cakes until I read this thread. Just last week I had a ton to do so I froze them and they turned out great. Hope this helps.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-240821-.html

nannaraquel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannaraquel Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 1:33pm
post #5 of 10

I ALWAYS freeze my cakes. Even if I'm decorating the same day, my cakes get wrapped up and popped in the freezer while they're still warm. I push down the dome of my cakes with a clean towel until they are as level as I can get them. Then I lay out some plastic wrap on the counter, flip my hot cake onto the plastic wrap, wrap it up and pop it in the freezer. Freezing cakes makes them easier to work with, in my opinion, and I think wrapping them up and freezing them while they're still warm makes them more moist. Especially if you add pudding to your cake mix. I don't know why that makes a difference, but I swear it does! I've frozen cakes that I plan on eating the same day, and I've frozen some that I don't end up using for a few weeks, and either way they taste moist and DELICIOUS when I finally get around to using them. If I'm only freezing for a day (or a few days) I just wrap them in plastic wrap and pop them in the freezer. If they'll be there for a while, I either put them in a freezer bag after they freeze enough to handle, or I double and triple wrap them in plastic wrap. Works just fine for me. I hope this helps!!!

Amy729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy729 Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 1:35pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks! Does freezing help with the decorating and/or taste or is it for convenience?

nannaraquel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannaraquel Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 1:39pm
post #7 of 10

I really believe it helps with decorating and improves the texture of the cake. I don't allow mine to come completely to room temperature before I decorate them, it's just easier in my opinion to work with the cakes when they are still slightly frozen. That's just a matter of opinion, though, you just have to see what works for you.

Chefgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chefgirl Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 1:49pm
post #8 of 10

I always put my cakes in the freezer, wrapped well in plastic wrap. I usually try to bake early in the week, so the cakes are frozen for a few days. I think they are easier to level and torte when they are frozen. Just be careful about slicing the frozen cake with a sharp serrated knife! I use a cutting glove on my left hand in case the knife slips (which it has before.)

countrykittie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrykittie Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 4:42pm
post #9 of 10

I am with the rest...I always bake and freeze my cakes...I find them moister then if I just bake and decorate. I also don't know why this works but it seems to. I wrap mine in plastic wrap, then wrap in foil and then put back in the cake tin just so that it keeps it's shape. I have decorated frozen, but I have found that sometimes my icing kind of gets too cold and then doesn't want to smooth out well. But, it is easier to handle a frozen cake rather than a thawed out one.

I have also decorated when the cakes have thawed out. Oh, and another thing, I always level my cakes right before I put them in the freezer just so that that job is done for when it's time to put the cake together.

HTH

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 7:44am
post #10 of 10

Food Safety: Wrapping and Freezing Hot Cakes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-332013-.html

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%