Here's That Darn Helmet Cake

Decorating By mohara Updated 1 Jun 2005 , 1:38pm by She

mohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mohara Posted 27 May 2005 , 8:34pm
post #1 of 22

Thank you to everyone for helping me with this. All and all, I am happy with it. It is the first time I've "decorated" a cake with stars before - I am a true beginner.

Thank you Lisa for your Buttercream recipe. It is delicious!!! I only ended up adding a total of 3 Tbl of water...but I don't even think I should have added the 3rd one. The icing was softer than it should have been for the stars, so they aren't as defined as they should be. I didn't want to add more sugar to the recipe at that point because I loved the flavor exactly as it was. DELICIOUS!!!!! Sweet, yet not overpowering. I can't wait to make it again.

Anyways, I am my own worst critic. I know it isn't anywhere near perfect or like most of the cakes I see on this site, but for a first time, I'm happy with it. thumbs_up.gif

Thanks again for everyone's help.

The emblem is a frozen buttercream transfer and the gold fleur de lis' are chocolate dusted with gold highlighter dust.
LL

21 replies
Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 27 May 2005 , 8:43pm
post #2 of 22

So glad the recipe worked for you! Did you make a half batch?

The cake came out great...especially the BCT! Doesn't look like beginner work at all. Great job thumbs_up.gif

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 27 May 2005 , 8:43pm
post #3 of 22

Based on that pictuer....you are WAY beyond a beginner! It looks terrific! Thanks for sharing!

mohara Posted 27 May 2005 , 8:48pm
post #4 of 22

You both are too kind!

I made the whole batch because I had no clue how much would be enough. Now I know for next time. The party is on Sunday. Is it ok to sit out the way it is in my house or should I keep it in my cool basement?

I do have to say, I didn't like using the triple star tip, so I switched back to the single one. I didn't feel in control of the placement of the stars. Probably needs some getting familiar with. Anyways, I prefer the single one right now.

Thanks again.

Lisa Posted 27 May 2005 , 8:53pm
post #5 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohara

You both are too kind!

I made the whole batch because I had no clue how much would be enough. Now I know for next time. The party is on Sunday. Is it ok to sit out the way it is in my house or should I keep it in my cool basement?

The leftover icing can be stored at room temp...tightly covered. The cake can also be stored at room temperature.

Lisa Posted 27 May 2005 , 8:55pm
post #6 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohara

I do have to say, I didn't like using the triple star tip, so I switched back to the single one. I didn't feel in control of the placement of the stars. Probably needs some getting familiar with. Anyways, I prefer the single one right now.

I don't like it either. You don't have as much control and it's much harder to get into small spaces. I prefer to use the single too.

AimeeA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AimeeA Posted 27 May 2005 , 8:56pm
post #7 of 22

GEAUX Saints!!

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 27 May 2005 , 9:17pm
post #8 of 22

Yah!!!!! SAINTS!!! Your cake looks great!! Are you in Louisiana?

To Mohara & AimmeA

Did you 2 see the Day of Sharing post for La & TX cake decorators??? We have 2 spaces left if you would like to come. It's free.. hint, hint. Pm me if you're interested~

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 27 May 2005 , 9:18pm
post #9 of 22

wow!! you did an awesome job! definately not beginners work!!!

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 27 May 2005 , 9:31pm
post #10 of 22

You did a great job!! It looks very good!! Can I ask which verse of the gold you ended up using? Thanks for sharing.

Charlotte

mohara Posted 28 May 2005 , 2:10am
post #11 of 22

I'm not in or from La. I am in upstate NY. My husband is a die-hard Saints fan though. For our honeymoon we went to Las Vegas and New Orleans to see a football game. It was awesome. My husband contacted the owner of the Saints, told him we were coming all the way from NY on our honeymoon just to see them play, and he sent us pre-game field passes to be right on the field during warmup, we got to go to a pre-game cocktailish type party and then my husband got his pic taken with the owner. It was a great time!!!

I ended up doing what Lisa suggested. I started with the one gold that was the golden yellow and a touch of leaf green and then ultimately ended up adding a little brown to it. It is probably still a bit too yellow, but it has a golden hue to it. I didn't want to end up with a color I definitely didn't like, so I stayed with the yellow that seemed close enough.

I am a little annoyed with myself though. I can never leave well enough alone. I didn't like one tiny section of stars, so I lifted them off to put new ones. That was fine. But then I was being careless and got a little too puffy/poofy with the stars and then it looked higher than the other stars, and then I started trying to compensate all over the cake and now I am not as happy as I started. And I'm one of those people who are stressed if things aren't just perfect. I'm trying to not be bothered....but gosh darn it, I am!!! I will never learn....before I was very happy except for one tiny part that probably no one would have noticed, and now I am quite unhappy and I am sure now people will notice. Oh well...its just a family party. Next time I will slap myself if I start thinking about grabbing that decorating bag a second time. hahaha

Thanks again to everyone for your help!!!

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 28 May 2005 , 12:54pm
post #12 of 22

Your cake looks really good! I know what you mean, it is really hard not to keep "fixing" little things we consider not to be perfect. Usually you are better off to leave well enough alone...this is not a media where you can do "perfect"!

You did a good job! Janice

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 28 May 2005 , 1:26pm
post #13 of 22

You did a great job! I love your little gold chocolates!
traci thumbs_up.gif

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 31 May 2005 , 7:21pm
post #14 of 22

Yes, you did a lovely job of this cake and the presentation is wonderful too! The colour is very pretty.
I don't like the triple star either, it is one of those tips I bought and tried once and was not happy with.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

She Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
She Posted 31 May 2005 , 8:19pm
post #15 of 22

I personally think it is AWESOME!!!! I have pictures of cakes I have done over the years and....ooh boy! None of them ever looked as GREAT as yours. I'm going to try and attach the picture of my last cake. It was for my dh's office b-day celebration. I do one cake a month for them and they want everyone's name on it, that celebrated during the month. It didn't turn out like I had hoped but...the shape really put some spin on getting everything just right. icon_biggrin.gif

I just love to look at everyone's cake so...I figured I'd give ya something to see and say bleah could have been better. tee hee icon_biggrin.gif
LL

She Posted 31 May 2005 , 8:27pm
post #16 of 22

I forgot to mention, which is sort of obvious, that there were two Bob's who celebrated for the month and one of them turned 40! So...my husband wanted me to get a *dig* in about it. Everyone thought the sprinkles I used on the black icing were perfect for all the gray hair that he has. icon_wink.gif

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 31 May 2005 , 8:33pm
post #17 of 22

Very cute cake, good idea for multiple celebrants too! Good work!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 31 May 2005 , 9:12pm
post #18 of 22

great job on the helmet icon_smile.gif I love the fleur-de-les' icon_smile.gif

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 31 May 2005 , 9:15pm
post #19 of 22

Mohara, Your cake looks great!

She, You did good! I did baby shower cakes(6) for my daughter's school last year and it was quite a challenge to come up with something totally different each time. It was like I had to top my own work each time. That was my thought not their's. I only had one to make this school year, thank goodness.

mohara Posted 1 Jun 2005 , 2:00am
post #20 of 22

She,
Your cake looks great! Is that the Wilton Topsy Turvy pan? It looks like it and I was just discussing with a few of the other members that I am using that pan next and I'm concerned about the cake baking evenly.

If it is that pan, did you have any problems with it or any suggestions you can make?

nernan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nernan Posted 1 Jun 2005 , 2:34am
post #21 of 22

thumbs_up.gif Everyones cakes look so yummy, i'm going to have to start making more.

She Posted 1 Jun 2005 , 1:38pm
post #22 of 22

mohara,
Yes that is the topsy turvey cake pan. I didn't have any problems with it baking evenly - it was VERY close to the top. Whew! I was sweating it! I added some of the baking mini m&m's to my cake mix so that might have raised the level a bit, too. The caked ended up turning out well. I had to cook it a little extra but...all in all. icon_surprised.gif)

It was tough to ice, I thought. The rounded curvy sides added the challenge. icon_wink.gif

If someone orders a sheet cake, like from a bakery, what size is that? Do I have to buy two pans and put them side by side?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%