Pink Champagne Cake

Baking By TheCakeSmith Updated 11 Jul 2007 , 8:19pm by mammacookie

TheCakeSmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeSmith Posted 31 May 2007 , 4:34pm
post #1 of 5

I have a potential customer that wants this cake, but says it doesn't have any actual champagne in it, just the flavoring. All I can find is recipies with actual champagne. Anyone have any good ones??

4 replies
thedessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thedessertdiva Posted 31 May 2007 , 4:50pm
post #2 of 5

This is a recipe that I have. I have always used the champagne, as the alchohol cooks out of the cake. I think you could probably use a sparkling cider or juice for the same effect if you needed. HTH

Cake
1 cup egg whites (7 to 8 eggs)
2 1/4 cups cake flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup salad oil
5 egg yolks
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Frosting
1 (3 1/2 ounce) package vanilla instant pudding mix
1 cup half-and-half
1 cup whipping cream
1 tablespoon brandy
3 tablespoons champagne
1 teaspoon clear vanilla

Bavarian Cream Filling
1 (1/3 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
1 pinch salt
6 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 eggs, separated
1 1/4 cups milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract or rum extract, to taste

In a large bowl of an electric mixer, let egg white warm to room temperature about 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Sift flour with sugar, baking powder and salt into another bowl. Make a well in the center.
Add in order: oil, egg yolks, 1/2 cup water, vanilla and coconut extract. Beat with a spoon until smooth.
In the large bowl of an electric mixer, at high speed, beat egg whites with cream of tatar until stiff peaks form when beater is lifted.
With a wire whisk or rubber scraper, using an over and motion, gently fold egg yolks/flour batter mixture into egg white mixture until just blended.
Pour into two 8-inch round cake pans which have been greased and floured. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. You can split each of these layers to make 4 layers, if desired.
Ice with the following recipe.
Champagne Icing.
Mix all ingredients together; beat with mixer until thickened. Split cake and spread between layers and all over cake. Grate pink, chocolate or tinted coconut over top of cake. Refrigerate.
Bavarian Cream - Optional.
The day before making cake, or early in the day, in a double boiler combine gelatin, salt, 2 tablespoons sugar. Stir in egg yolks. Then slowly add milk. Cook over boiling water, stirring until moisture coats the spoon. Remove at once.
Refrigerate until slightly thicker than unbeaten egg whites. Beat egg whites until they form moist peaks when the beater is raised. Gradually add 1/4 cup of the sugar, beating until stiff. Fold into yolk mixture along with whipped cream, vanillla. Leave in bowl until ready to use.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 31 May 2007 , 6:17pm
post #3 of 5

I know that you can use the Lorann Champagne flavored oil. Just sub water for the champagne and add the oil I would think.. icon_biggrin.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 31 May 2007 , 9:55pm
post #4 of 5

Champagne Cake:
(With recipes embedded in posts.)

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-180821-.html

Also, if you're going to be doing a few of these cakes you can probably get a quart of champagne extract for the price of 4 or 5 tiny Lorann bottles from:

www.nationalflavors.com

National Flavors threads:
(Has product and pricing info.)

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-182341-.html

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-263273-.html

HTH

mammacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mammacookie Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 8:19pm
post #5 of 5

You can use cabonated strawberry soda instead of champagne in any cake recipe for the same effect. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%