Wedding Cake Size?

Decorating By sancar80 Updated 9 Jul 2006 , 9:01pm by Molly2

sancar80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sancar80 Posted 9 Jul 2006 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 7

Hello everyone. Hope everyone is doing good today.

I have a question for anyone who can help me. I have this wedding cake coming up tomorrow. My first actually. I am having an issue with the sizes I will use.

the brides cake topper is large, I will not be able to use a 6" top tier. I will instead use an 8" tier.

The cake the bride wants is somewhat offset, to get the offset effect, will it be okay if I went with an 8", 10", and 12" or 8" 10" and 14"...not sure if I'm explaining myself. Take a look a the picture below and see if you can tell me what sizes I will need to get the same effect.

Thanks in advance!

Carmen
LL

6 replies
Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 9 Jul 2006 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 7

I would do the 8', 10' and 12 because I look at the cake as to how much space is on each tier unless you plan to decorate each tier then you might need more space.

Molly icon_smile.gif

sancar80 Posted 9 Jul 2006 , 8:33pm
post #3 of 7

Ah, ok.

Thanks Molly!

The cake is to look exactly like this. Minus the roses on top. Other than that, she wants the exact same cake.

Just frosting and ribbon. Should be easy.

I just got back from Michaels, and I was flipping through a wedding cake book. It looks as if they go 4" in between each tier.

i.e..8"12"and 16".

Would I be able to do this too? Or would it look funny?

TIA!

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 9 Jul 2006 , 8:38pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sancar80

Ah, ok.

Thanks Molly!

The cake is to look exactly like this. Minus the roses on top. Other than that, she wants the exact same cake.

Just frosting and ribbon. Should be easy.

I just got back from Michaels, and I was flipping through a wedding cake book. It looks as if they go 4" in between each tier.

i.e..8"12"and 16".

Would I be able to do this too? Or would it look funny?

TIA!

I think you would get too much of a gap in an 8 12 16. This cake here was a 6 10 14, and there is a LOT more gap in this than the cake you were asked for.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=boonenati&cat=0&pos=134
So the safest is to go for the 8 10 12, and you'll get the same distance in between cakes as you have in the picture, well at least very similar.

Nati

sancar80 Posted 9 Jul 2006 , 8:41pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks so much Nati! I will do that then, 8" 10" and 12".

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 9 Jul 2006 , 8:44pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sancar80

Thanks so much Nati! I will do that then, 8" 10" and 12".

If in doubt, it helps to stack up your cake tins the same way you'd set up your cakes, and see if you're happy with it.
: )
Nati

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 9 Jul 2006 , 9:01pm
post #7 of 7

Thats what I would do stack your tins that will give you a great idea and then you would know for sure what your working with.

Molly2

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%