Wilton Gumpaste - Ready Made Or Can

Decorating By smileyface Updated 9 Jul 2006 , 10:29pm by TexasSugar

smileyface Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smileyface Posted 9 Jul 2006 , 12:52am
post #1 of 6

Does anyone know how long the gumpaste lasts before it needs to be thrown away after the package is opened? I want to try working with gumpaste and see if I can get more realistic flowers. Since I don't have any orders for it and just want to play around, I don't want to buy a bag of the ready made or the can mix if it won't keep for very long.

Thanks!!

5 replies
traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 9 Jul 2006 , 12:59am
post #2 of 6

I bought a bag of the Wilton ready use gumpaste and used it about a week ago...it is still good. I think it might tell you on the package how long it will last. icon_smile.gif

smileyface Posted 9 Jul 2006 , 1:14am
post #3 of 6

Thanks! I looked on the bag and the can but couldn't find anything, maybe I overlooked it. If they have a coupon this Sunday, maybe I will go by Michael's tomorrow and just go ahead and get some. Guess I am showing my penny pincher ways too much, LOL!! icon_rolleyes.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 Jul 2006 , 5:33pm
post #4 of 6

I went to a Wilton meeting yesterday for WMIs and they gave us some information about the new gumpaste. Once your package is opened the gumpaste will be good for around a month in the orginal package, as it will just slowly get harder and harder.

Now if you want to store it for any lenght of time you can freeze it. Coat the outside of the gumpaste (and fondant) with crisco, when storing in or out of the freezer, wrap in plastic wrap then in a plastic bag. If you have a food saver type product, you can use them to remove the air from the bag, which air is the enemy when storing gumpaste and fondant.

If you freeze it you want to put it in the fridge to slowly thaw it, about a day before you want to use it.

smileyface Posted 9 Jul 2006 , 5:52pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the info!! The Sunday paper had a coupon it so I will probably get some to play around with. I worked with some fondant this week and it wouldn't dry out even after 3 days. The humidity here has been over %60 so I am sure that was part of it. Anyhow, I hear you can mix fondant and gum paste 50/50 so it dries but isn't rock hard.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 Jul 2006 , 10:29pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyface

Anyhow, I hear you can mix fondant and gum paste 50/50 so it dries but isn't rock hard.

It will still dry hard. Plain fondant will dry rock hard over time. Adding fondant to gumpaste will make it dry faster than fondant but slower than plain gumpaste.

It does sound like the humidity could be the problem with the drying time. Do you have it sitting on your counter or in a box or what?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%