Can These Two Be Mixed?

Decorating By tobinx Updated 10 Jul 2006 , 12:00am by tobinx

tobinx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobinx Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 5:31pm
post #1 of 5

Can you mix luster dust with BC? Can you mix it with piping gel or royal without having some kind of funky chemical reaction or chang in taste or texture or edibility? Thanks!

4 replies
mendhigurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mendhigurl Posted 9 Jul 2006 , 4:16am
post #2 of 5

You can mix luster dust with all of those, but I'm not sure why you'd want to. As a dye, it's probably not your best use of the powder, because you'd need a lot of it. You also won't get that shine you get if you brush it on after the fact. I've never tried it on piping gel, so I don't know the effects. It won't change the taste, may change texture, because it may cause clumping, and no funky reactions, that I know of.

What are you trying to do? and maybe someone can help you get the look you're looking for.

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 9 Jul 2006 , 6:46am
post #3 of 5

I know you can add to piping gel. But it would only be economical to do small amounts. You can pipe it or paint it on.

Don't know about buttercream, but I know you can paint it onto dried royal icing using the dust mixed with extract.

heyjules Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heyjules Posted 9 Jul 2006 , 11:29pm
post #4 of 5

I mixed gold luster dust with BC just to see what it would look like, it wasn't spectacular...just looked like golden yellow icing. It didn't have any shine or sparkle.

tobinx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobinx Posted 10 Jul 2006 , 12:00am
post #5 of 5

Thanks...just an idea that crossed my mind.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%