Pricing And The Semi-Controlling Hubby ...

Business By aobodessa Updated 3 Jun 2007 , 9:43pm by apclassicwed

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 30 May 2007 , 8:39pm
post #1 of 40

My husband and I have had this discussion before, but we can't seem to come to terms. Do I increase my prices (currently in the $2/serving range for weddings) for most people, or can I feel okay about giving a discount to someone who requests one?

Example: I got a call today for a wedding cake on 4th of July. Bride only needs to serve 50, but wants a 3-tier cake. I gave Mom a price of $125, which includes delivery, setup, cutting, wrapping of all leftovers in napkins, boxing top tier for freezing (if they want to save it), a "Midnight Snack" box of cake for Bride & Groom's first night of wedded bliss, no equipment deposit (why would I need it? I'm cutting the cake and bringing everything home).

She asked if they picked up the cake and cut it themselves, could I cut the price somehow? I told her that they would have to understand that once the cake leaves my control, they would have to deal with any issues particular to that cake and they would not have my assistance, but yes, I could come down to $95 if that was their desire. (Hey, my theory is if you don't ask, you certainly don't get, right? icon_wink.gif )

Obviously, they will have to discuss and decide if that's what they want to do. Hubby tells me that I shouldn't do that ... that my prices aren't outrageous to begin with and people should be thankful they can get me and all of my services so cheaply.

How do you all handle this type of situation? I want to bump my prices by about 12%-15% to bring them more in line with a higher class of Client, but he is afraid I will price myself right out of the market. I still have plenty of dates available this summer (rare for me), but there are years when I am so busy I can't see straight. We could use the extra money (couldn't we all icon_rolleyes.gif ???), so what is the problem? And more importantly, what's the solution?

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks one and all,

Odessa icon_smile.gif

39 replies
johnniekake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnniekake Posted 30 May 2007 , 9:03pm
post #2 of 40

o my gosh.................you include all that extra stuff and they want it to be cheaper icon_eek.gif.............. July 4th HOLIDAY......................People crack me up!!!!

Do yourself a favor and raise your prices.The only business you will lose is the kind you dont want thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

estherhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
estherhead Posted 30 May 2007 , 10:26pm
post #3 of 40

I think this is two questions. First, I think $95 is TOO cheap for that. I agree with dh to raise prices.

However, I give discounts whenever I feel like it. It's my business, I'll discount if I feel like it.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 30 May 2007 , 10:36pm
post #4 of 40

$125 sounds like a really good deal...for them! You are doing an awful lot besides just making the cake! Don't go any lower!!!

Around here most place start buttercream at $3 per serving.

Courtney

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 30 May 2007 , 11:30pm
post #5 of 40

I would not do a 3-tiered cake for $125, even without delivery.

When you value your own work and price it accordingly, you are right -- it will attract a higher level of clientele. My rock bottom wedding price is $3/serving and it is not negotiable. I once had a client question my $2/serving for a 2-tiered baby shower cake with hand sculpted fondant animals...I caved a little bit on price, and it was a classic example of "give an inch, and they'll take a mile". Raise your prices and stand firm. You WILL have customers who will pay it willingly icon_smile.gif (And you get to make more but work less.)

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 30 May 2007 , 11:34pm
post #6 of 40

WAY too low on price

(and since when is a hubby who is looking out for the wife, encouraging wife, and obviously values the wife and sees the true value of the work produced...
being "controlling"? sounds more like the spouse many would want to have.)

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 May 2007 , 11:38pm
post #7 of 40

First, tell your husband he's a boob, because you're making more money on the $95 than you are on the $125.

We figured out one day that my time is valued at over $100 an hour, so if I spend 4 hours at a wedding reception, then I've just cost myself $400 in labor. I can pay a staff member $10 an hour to handle it and it only costs me $40.

My a la carte (or what we call our "Drop-n-Run") rate is $2.50/serving. Cake, delivery, set-up. THen it's all yours. My package price (cake,plates, forks, punch, cups, table linens, skirting, mints, nuts, delivery, setup, cake cutting/serving, clean up and tear down) is $5.50/serving.

shifty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shifty Posted 31 May 2007 , 1:53am
post #8 of 40

Wow 125 for the 4th of July!! Thats one heck of a deal. I am shocked they asked for a lower price to be honest. i certainly think you should raise your prices.

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 31 May 2007 , 2:11am
post #9 of 40

my personal thoughts are you should tell her she's lucky to be getting you for $2 per serving. im in the process of starting my biz, and working out all the details. this lady is the exact reason why i've decided to make a minimum wedding order of 100 servings, and my min price is $2.50 per serving. that way, im always making at least $250 on any wedding. for any less its just not worth the hassle. the people who want to pay the least usually want to get the most from you. you don't want that kind of business.

aobodessa Posted 31 May 2007 , 4:29pm
post #10 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by estherhead

I think this is two questions. First, I think $95 is TOO cheap for that. I agree with dh to raise prices.

However, I give discounts whenever I feel like it. It's my business, I'll discount if I feel like it.

Actually, he's NOT in favor of me raising my prices, but also doesn't want me to reduce a price to get a cake. icon_confused.gif

My deal is this: this wedding call I took yesterday is the 2nd referral from a wedding cake that I haven't even baked yet! That wedding is in August, but here I am getting referrals from just the meeting I've already had. So my personal thought is that if someone whose wedding cake I haven't even made is sending work my way, then why not bend over backwards now to get even more referrals? Just because this Bride's financial situation isn't that of Donald Trump doesn't mean that she isn't just as deserving, right? PLUS, maybe she's also going to refer me to her friends, too ... more work for me, yay!

I know many of you are charging $3 or more per serving, but we are in an incredibly deep recession here in Michigan, especially in the more northern parts of the state where I am located. I have a lot of trouble justifying charging someone that kind of money (despite the fact I may be worth it) when they just don't have it. I just can't seem to reconcile my politicians (including our illustrious president) telling me that we're in "good shape" and the country is making a comeback or turning around or whatever lip service they're giving me this week when I know way too many people who are out of work, struggling to make ends meet and have lost their homes to bankruptcy or foreclosure because of the economy.

It's tough out here sometimes, and if a Client is going to make a cut to save themselves money, you can bet they're going to weigh the importance of putting gas in their car (currently $3.65/gal. here with the national average somewhere around $3.27) or paying a higher price for a specialty cake. If I'm in that position, I'm probably putting gas in the tank, not spending $5/serving when I can get away with $2. icon_cry.gif

So NOW what??????? icon_eek.gif

Odessa

DCHall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DCHall Posted 31 May 2007 , 4:42pm
post #11 of 40

I think you should go ahead and raise your prices some. People can always ask you for a discount just like this Bride did. I am sure she will tell her friends about your wilingness to accomodate.

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 31 May 2007 , 4:44pm
post #12 of 40

Odessa,

I am all for it being ok for people to ask for a discount, but honey, a big wedding or even a traditional wedding cake is not a NEED......if they cannot afford to spend $125 then they can buy sheet cakes or something....

you sacrificing yourself (and your profit margin) is not going to single handedly save the economy and people will make their own decisions on what they can do financially...

ruralepicure Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruralepicure Posted 31 May 2007 , 4:44pm
post #13 of 40

Yes, more work is GOOD but not if you are selling yourself short. I say increase your prices and you could be making just as much if not more with one cake rather than mulitiple cakes.

cakeartdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeartdiva Posted 31 May 2007 , 4:44pm
post #14 of 40

I feel for ya!

I think you should raise your prices to at least $2.25 for buttercream. If you want to give a discount then you can bring it down to $1.95-2.00.

You offer way too much for what you are charging. The $125 was a great price for delivery and setup...that is all. A lot of decorators charge for staying to cut the cake (at least $100).

You need to do what feels right to you at this point since you are just building up your business.

Can someone help me with my dilema? I posted it under cake disasters..wrong icing put on cake. Too late to change it now, but should I let her know before I show up?

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 31 May 2007 , 4:45pm
post #15 of 40

I'm not a pro, so take this for what it's worth, but I do other crafts as a business, and I ALWAYS give a discount to folks who send more orders my way. I DON'T give the new orders a discount, or the same price as the first one. That would be silly. But if this bride is sending you referrals already, have a firm price for those, but I wouldn't be above cutting her price just a little. You want to make sure you're still making money on the deal, and I agree that your cakes are too inexpensive... even the grocery stores around here charge more than that for a three tier cake. icon_razz.gif

But yeah... if I'm getting work from a current order, I'd give a bit of a discount. Just my opinion.

EricaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EricaT Posted 31 May 2007 , 4:52pm
post #16 of 40

95$ for a 3 tier! too low...I wouldnt start negotiating your prices, you charge them for a reason. You wouldnt want the word to get out that people can haggle with you. If there are 50 people at that wedding im sure one of them is going to ask someone in the family how much youj paid for the cake and where they could get one. I only would reduce for very close friends and family and have them keep prices that they pay discreet if asked

kiddoscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiddoscakes Posted 31 May 2007 , 4:53pm
post #17 of 40

I think you sound like you already made up your mind you just want to find someone who feels the same! I think you are right on about your prices and you ARE worth $5 a serving but is it worth losing the client.
Personally I offer discounts to clients who send referrals my way.. For example when i deliver their cake there is a business card attached that always reads " send a referral my way and recieve 15% off your next order".. we live in a small town and it takes only a few people to double my work by word of mouth..
Sick to your price of $2 a serving or higher to $3 and still give yourself permission to offer discounts without feeling shorted!
Hope that all makes sense! Good luck!

mullett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mullett Posted 31 May 2007 , 4:54pm
post #18 of 40

1ST - DO NOT DROP YOUR PRICE ON THIS CAKE.
2ND - GO UP ON YOUR BC CAKES AND WAY UP ON FONDANT.
3RD - ONLY YOU KNOW THE PRICES IN YOUR AREA. BE COMPETIVE WITH THEM, OR JUST A BIT UNDER THEM IF YOU WANT MORE ORDERS.

I PERSONALLY DO NOT DO ANY WEDDING CAKE (WITH THE EXCEPTION) OF FAMILY FOR UNDER $800.00. THATS WHERE I START AND WE GO UP FROM THERE.

I'M SURE YOU HAVE DONE THIS.....BUT FIGURE OUT WHAT A CAKE COST YOU TO MAKE. THE PRICE OF EACH EGG, OIL, SUGAR...EVERYTHING. NOW TRIPLE THAT COST. DIVIDE THAT BY THE HOURS YOU HAVE IN IT. COULD YOU MAKE MORE THAN THAT WORKING IN THE PUBLIC SECTOR.

IF YOUR CAKES ARE GOOD AND PRETTY THEY WILL PAY YOUR ASKING PRICE. GOOD LUCK AND KEEP BAKING.

Peg2665 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peg2665 Posted 31 May 2007 , 4:56pm
post #19 of 40

I agree it is OK to give someone a discount but, there is a fine line between an act of kindness and being taken advantage of. Give this bride the discount but be FIRM with the referrals she is sending your way. Good Luck

estherhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
estherhead Posted 31 May 2007 , 5:01pm
post #20 of 40

I'm in southern Ohio & not a lot of money is being made around here, however I just raised my prices this year from $2.00 for buttercream to $2.50. One couple had their wedding last weekend at home so they could save money. But they paid my prices with no discount. The bride told me "You can cut costs a lot of places, but a wedding cake needs to be a wedding cake." She didn't even ask for a dsicount but I told her I'd deliver it (out of town) for free which she was very grateful for. I've found that once you start shooting for a higher market you get it. Obviously, however, not above what your market will take. I could never charge $5.00 per serving, for example, but I make sure I'm on the high end around here. That way I get the cream of the crop customers, not the rejects.

So far it has worked beautifully as I've NEVER had a difficult customer. Not one. It is the people who expect something for nothing that are the difficult ones.

All that being said, I still feel that if you want to give a customer a discount you should, but not necessarily just because they ask.

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 31 May 2007 , 5:10pm
post #21 of 40

What three tier only serves 50???? are these single layers? or double layers?

A 10, 8, 6 double layer (the smallest I can imagine) would serve 74 according to Wilton.... So, that's $1.70 a serving. Are you providing the napkins for wrapping? the box for the midnight snack? and all the rest? My guess is that you are now (just for all the "extras" you give) now to $1.50 a serving (or even less)...

Or are your cakes even BIGGER? You can't price by how many she wants to serve if she orders something that serves way more. Two tiers would feed 50. if she wants three tiers, that's for HER to soak up the costs, not for YOU to do!

Or... are these all single layers? I'm confused where you got $2 a serving....

Melissa

aobodessa Posted 31 May 2007 , 5:11pm
post #22 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

WAY too low on price

(and since when is a hubby who is looking out for the wife, encouraging wife, and obviously values the wife and sees the true value of the work produced...

Thanks for the validation, Doug [this from the hubby].

Yes, he's a wonderful guy, he's just the one responsible for the family bills now. He just wants to make sure we're getting our fair share so the vultures can have theirs!! icon_rolleyes.gif

Odessa

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 31 May 2007 , 5:17pm
post #23 of 40

My first thought was WOW.. delivery of a 3 tiered cake, set up, cutting services, packaging the top tier, AND a snack box for 125$???? That is a STEAL. For 95$.. that's highway robbery.. I think it's fine to give discounts if you want to, but don't give away your hard work. You also don't want to be known as the sucker who will lower her prices if you cry. I won't do a wedding cake for less than 3$ a slice.. and you will get plain buttercream and a border and not much more and I have a 50 serving minimum.. and this is just for the cake. For all that you do.. you should charge more.

indydebi Posted 31 May 2007 , 5:19pm
post #24 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

WAY too low on price

Oh Doug, you're SUCH a guy! (she said with luv and adoration!).

My hubby used to go around telling people "she's going to have to raise her prices......!" I finally asked him, 'How much profit do I make on a catering? On a cake?" He said, "I dont' know!"

I said, "My point exactly! Either find out what you're talking about or shut the he** up!"

He liked to act like he knew all about it; he was was playing "the big man" telling "the little woman" how to run HER business (his name is no where on this biz). Problem was he picked the wrong "little woman" to try to do that with.

Not to make him sound totally bad .... he's come a long way under my loving and teaching arm of affection! icon_rolleyes.gif

aobodessa Posted 31 May 2007 , 7:06pm
post #25 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeartdiva

I feel for ya!

You offer way too much for what you are charging. The $125 was a great price for delivery and setup...that is all. A lot of decorators charge for staying to cut the cake (at least $100).

You need to do what feels right to you at this point since you are just building up your business.

Maybe I misunderstood you, but I've been doing this for over 30 years, dear. I don't look at it a "just building up [my] business". [Sorry, don't mean to be snotty, but the statement just rubbed me the wrong way. icon_redface.gif ]

Anyhow, the reason I cut the cake is because it alleviates the headache of having to keep track of an equipment deposit and having my things returned filthy, broken, late, etc. Besides that, I now don't have to argue with someone (who is probably returning the stuff for the Bride and has no idea about the financial arrangement) about the cost of a broken plate or a lost pillar. I also don't have to deal with people who complain that "I ordered cake for 300 people, and only got about 200 servings" because they had someone inexperienced cut the darn thing. And finally, no one gripes that the caterer or the reception people "charged over $200 to cut a wedding cake and there was a lot left and we didn't get to take the extra home because the venue won't allow us to take any food out". icon_cry.gif I've had all these scenarios, so I think the headaches I alleviate for my Clients and myself are more than worth the additional cost I have built in to my products.

Unlike a lot of you, I don't do fondant-covered cakes. While I have some fairly "sophisticated" palates that I work with, no one has requested that I put the stuff on a cake. Most people (and I mean that with all sincerity) find my work to be yummy AND beautiful. I don't think that charging way over and above what MY market will bear is wise. Maybe I'm wrong ... that's why I asked for opinions.

Odessa

indydebi Posted 31 May 2007 , 8:04pm
post #26 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by aobodessa

...Anyhow, the reason I cut the cake is because it alleviates the headache of having to keep track of an equipment deposit and having my things returned filthy, broken, late, etc. Besides that, I now don't have to argue with someone (who is probably returning the stuff for the Bride and has no idea about the financial arrangement) about the cost of a broken plate or a lost pillar. I also don't have to deal with people who complain that "I ordered cake for 300 people, and only got about 200 servings" because they had someone inexperienced cut the darn thing. And finally, no one gripes that the caterer or the reception people "charged over $200 to cut a wedding cake and there was a lot left and we didn't get to take the extra home because the venue won't allow us to take any food out". icon_cry.gif I've had all these scenarios, so I think the headaches I alleviate for my Clients and myself are more than worth the additional cost I have built in to my products.

Unlike a lot of you, I don't do fondant-covered cakes. While I have some fairly "sophisticated" palates that I work with, no one has requested that I put the stuff on a cake. Most people (and I mean that with all sincerity) find my work to be yummy AND beautiful.....

My gosh, I could have written that word for word! It's the "above and beyond" service that sells it. I'm (I mean me and aobodessa) are not selling "just a cake". We are selling a service. We are selling ease of mind to the bride as we take care of everything for her ... .she doesn't have to worry about finding someone who MIGHT be able to figure out how to cut a cake.

As I've mentiond before, I picked my company name on purpose ..... we "keep it simple" for the bride.

I have a package which includes me staying to cut the cake. However, I will frequently sell "just the cake" (a la carte price) if they buy a buffet from me also, AND I will cut the cake for no charge (since I'm there anyway. And I look at it from the standpoint of if they are going to write me a check for $3000+ for a buffet, will I take an extra 20 minutes to cut their cake for them? You bet your pa-tooty I will!)

aobodessa, I think you're right .... we ARE separated twins! thumbs_up.gif

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 31 May 2007 , 9:04pm
post #27 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkerton

Odessa,

I am all for it being ok for people to ask for a discount, but honey, a big wedding or even a traditional wedding cake is not a NEED......if they cannot afford to spend $125 then they can buy sheet cakes or something....

you sacrificing yourself (and your profit margin) is not going to single handedly save the economy and people will make their own decisions on what they can do financially...

I feel the same way!

sweetiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiemama Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 2:56am
post #28 of 40

Odessa-
I am by no means a professional, but I am familiar with the area and pricing! My husband grew up in Bad Axe! We even lived there for a year! Most, not all, people in this area of Michgan DO NOT spend money on cake (or anything else for that matter)! The area has been hard hit by lay offs, so I understand where you are coming from. I do believe you would be reasonable to raise your price, even in your area. There are clientele that would have no problem paying that price with your service given. (His sister and friends come to mind). Just my 2 cents!
Michele

sweetiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiemama Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 2:56am
post #29 of 40

Odessa-
I am by no means a professional, but I am familiar with the area and pricing! My husband grew up in Bad Axe! We even lived there for a year! Most, not all, people in this area of Michgan DO NOT spend money on cake (or anything else for that matter)! The area has been hard hit by lay offs, so I understand where you are coming from. I do believe you would be reasonable to raise your price, even in your area. There are clientele that would have no problem paying that price with your service given. (His sister and friends come to mind). Just my 2 cents!
Michele

cykrivera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cykrivera Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 3:16am
post #30 of 40

I know in some areas you can't charge too much if there's no one to pay it, but you are definitely not charging enough. I charge $3.50 w/o fondant and $4.50 with plus delivery and setup. There are some places in my area less expensive and others more (Charm City, Sugarbakers, etc) That's fine with me. It's no skin off my back if someone goes elsewhere b/c they're cheaper. I gain nothing doing favors for strangers when it comes to pricing. I'm not willing to lose money because their budget is tight or they just want to be plain cheap. The price does not include anything other than the cake and the delivery charge. If they use a stand or want bags/boxes, knives, etc. That is all extra. If they want fresh flowers and expect me to provide them they pay cost plus a charge b/c I have to go and get them from the supplier. The only thing that I always forget to charge for is ribbon, but since that doesn't cost me much I don't worry about it. Extensive designs with handmade flowers cost more per tier. I'm in business to make money and enjoy what I do. I don't mean to sound so harsh. I'm really not a mean person, but business is business.
Your time and work is worth alot more than you are charging.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%