Gumpaste

Decorating By woodyfam Updated 31 May 2007 , 1:59am by woodyfam

woodyfam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodyfam Posted 30 May 2007 , 7:25pm
post #1 of 8

I have made some gumpaste figures, my very first, and I was wondering how long they take to dry? I need them for a cake in the morning. Is that possible? If not, is there any way to dry them quicker? Thanks for your help!

7 replies
msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 30 May 2007 , 8:02pm
post #2 of 8

thin flowers will take 2 0r 3 days as the thick part around the wire will take longer to completly dry to have full strength

You can speed up by putting inside an oven with the light on

I have never made figures but since they are thick I would guess a week or more to have any strength

torki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torki Posted 30 May 2007 , 8:10pm
post #3 of 8

my gumpaste bigger gumpaste things take 1-2 days to dry.

However, drying time depends on how thick they are and also the weather can play a big part.... There have been suggestions you can put them in a oven with ONLY the light one or maybe put a fan on them!

An Idea for next time.. I find for things that are thick I hollow out the centre, even if is by putting a thick straw in them, it helps with drying time for the inside which also helps with cracking problems!!

woodyfam Posted 30 May 2007 , 10:38pm
post #4 of 8

They may not make it then. I will try the oven thing though. The straw would be great for next time. Thanks for your help!

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 30 May 2007 , 11:34pm
post #5 of 8

For next time, you can also use rolled up foil inside the figures to make them dry faster and the figures will be lighter. Also consider using pastillage as it dries a lot faster than gumpaste.

woodyfam Posted 31 May 2007 , 12:21am
post #6 of 8

Do you shape the foil first and then do the gumpaste over the top?

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 31 May 2007 , 12:25am
post #7 of 8

Yup! Shape the foil a little smaller than the size you want, then cover with gumpaste.

woodyfam Posted 31 May 2007 , 1:59am
post #8 of 8

That is great. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%