Anyone Decorate In A Room Other Than A Kitchen/dining Room?

Decorating By berryblondeboys Updated 31 May 2007 , 4:43am by Narie

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 30 May 2007 , 2:00pm
post #1 of 11

I'm finding it's JUST NOT WORKING having all the decorating stuff in the kitchen. First of all, clean up is a nightmare and inevitably, I finish a cake during the wee hours and the last thing I want to do is wash dishes at 2 am!!! So, I don't get to it until after breakfast or sometimes LATER and it just gets in the way of OTHER things. Plus, I just don't have room for all of it.

We have a finished basement. I could decorate down there, use the utility room (getting a food grade bucket for cleaning - or two of them like a double basin sink) or bathroom for water and quick clean up. Plus, I could keep the big things like the cake projector and decorating supplies out of the rest of the kitchen's way.

Anyone do something like this? I plan to store (no matter where I decorate) my pans and cake projector and big turntable downstairs in our storage room. So, I either have to carry that upstairs or take the cake downstairs.

Melissa

10 replies
Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 31 May 2007 , 1:55am
post #2 of 11

I don't, but I would love to! All the cake stuff gets in the way of normal life - meals, etc. It would be nice to have a separate place to do it all!

berryblondeboys Posted 31 May 2007 , 2:59am
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaejrk

I don't, but I would love to! All the cake stuff gets in the way of normal life - meals, etc. It would be nice to have a separate place to do it all!

That's it, that's the main problem - cake stuff gets in the way of normal life in the kitchen. I cook nearly every day. We have a sit down breakfast every morning and on weekends sit down lunches too. I NEED my sink to be free of mixng bowls and tips and couplers. I need my floor to be free of buttercream splatters and my stovetop free of dirtied cake pans and spatulas and...

NOt ALL of it can move out of the kitchen, but once buttercream is made, I can't see how it's any harder to take the cake and buttercream downstairs than it is to bring the turntable or cake projector upstairs.

I have been PURGING things from our house for 2 months and we now have two FULL 2 x 10 feet shelves FREE in the storage room - I could put all my tools down there, get double buckets for washing everything (as almost none of that can go in the dishwasher anyway - another reason it's all a PITB) and then dry them and put them away. If I have to stop mid cake to make dinner or to make breakfast - it's in NO ONES WAY!!!! Heck, we even have our old upper kitchen cabinets in the storage room I could use for storing supplies! This is GENIUS! The floor is easy to clean too! (groutless tile). All I would ahve to do is CLOSE THE DOOR to the mess unlike now, it's the first thing you see in our house - right off the entranceway is my kitchen and on cake days? Holy Moly!!! It's worse than Thanksgiving dinner, I swear! LOL

DH will think I'm nuts, but when he doesn' thave a mess in the kitchen to look at on Saturday morning, I think he'll change his tune QUICK! GENIUS I say! LOL

Melissa

cherub5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherub5 Posted 31 May 2007 , 3:05am
post #4 of 11

I think someone may be in the need for a home garage bakery! icon_wink.gif

alliebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alliebear Posted 31 May 2007 , 3:08am
post #5 of 11

thats how my mom feels... she has an art studio in our basement ( she paints) it had a sink and everything... she has out grown it... she have a few extra roooms in the house so she is moving her stuff into the bigger office space beside and letting me have the smaller "kitchen" type room to myself... i will bake up stairs but decorate and mix etc downstairs.... i getting a bar fridge installed under the counter and a work space table put in as well at some more storage areas... we have a chest freezer in the cold store.... i can't wait till all the renos to the basement r finished ( we had a flood) so i can move in!!

manderfrog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manderfrog Posted 31 May 2007 , 3:10am
post #6 of 11

My situation is not quite the same, but I have a TINY little kitchen. I bake my cakes and make my icing in there. When I decorate though, I take the cake and turntable into the living room and put it on a TV tray table. I just don't have room in the kitchen.

SusieMcG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SusieMcG Posted 31 May 2007 , 3:16am
post #7 of 11

I think I need a new house just to store all of the cake "stuff" that I have acquired over the last year?!?! Who knew????

I do all of my decorating in my kitchen, but I luckily have a large island where I do most of my work, without it interfering with the rest of my counterspace. At least, that's usually the game plan. But by the time I'm done, random tools, bowls, cake supplies wind up all over the place!!!!

icon_lol.gif

mommyerin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyerin Posted 31 May 2007 , 3:19am
post #8 of 11

I was just thinking about doing the same thing yesterday. I have a friend who is moving and now doesn't need her oven. I have a small kitchen and store all my supplies in the basement. I was thinking how it would be a lot more convenient and much more space I would have if I could talk my husband into building a big counter for me down there and moving the extra oven in! Just have to work on the lighting. But I was wondering the same thing... would it be too weird to have my little "bakery" in the basement?

berryblondeboys Posted 31 May 2007 , 3:24am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieMcG

I think I need a new house just to store all of the cake "stuff" that I have acquired over the last year?!?! Who knew????

I do all of my decorating in my kitchen, but I luckily have a large island where I do most of my work, without it interfering with the rest of my counterspace. At least, that's usually the game plan. But by the time I'm done, random tools, bowls, cake supplies wind up all over the place!!!!

icon_lol.gif

I DO have a pretty big kitchen with a 36" by 72" island, but... There's no electicity going to it, so the mixer is next to the stove - so you can imagine what the stove top starts to look like. Plus, I store my tips and colors and bags in baskets above a cabinet, and those get taken down and put on the counter and and and ...

I WISH I had a garage or a real basement even - we're in a DC Burb townhouse that is 40 years old - storage in this place STINKS!!!!

No pantry, no "real" walk in closets, completely finshed basement( it's a walkout) so we converted a room a 10x7 into a storage room - one wall floor to ceiling is a wood storage unit. The big tool box, the spare dining chairs and the deep freezer are ALSO in there, so it has to be ULTRA organized - big time.... but I'm scheming!

Melissa

rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 31 May 2007 , 3:54am
post #10 of 11

Wow, I've been playing with the idea recently of putting a small kitchen area in the basement too! We're supposed to be remodeling the kitchen (when Hubby gets the time). We have most of the cabinets and my new stove just sitting in the formal living room. What else do you use that room for, huh? Anyway, I had thought about putting the old cabinets in the basement along with the stove I'm using now. We already have a full size refrigerator down there. Have to work on the plumbing part to be able to get a sink. Hmmm...this sounds like a pretty good idea. Now, just to get it done...that's the REAL challange!!!!

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 31 May 2007 , 4:43am
post #11 of 11

OK, I don't have a basement work area now. But I used to. Lighting- 48 inch flourecent shop light are cheap, easily installed and give you great light to work. They are ugly but but they fit perfectly between floor joists.

Counter space and storage space under it- this is hard to explain, get a length of laminate counter top at Lowes or some place like that. They sell preformed countertops in 4 ft, 6 ft, and 8 ft. lengths or whatever lengths. Build a wood frame to support it with one thick plywood shelf to keep the frame from racking. If you want it to look a bit more upscale-not much- velcro a skirt about it or paint it. If you have a husband or SO who is handy, it wouldn't take them long to whip it together. The most expensive part is getting the electrical put in for the lighting and wall plugs.
http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/workshop/bench/below20xl.html This is what I meant by a frame. Only with a laminate top.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%