Checkered Squares In A Round Cake

Decorating By amaniemom Updated 21 Jun 2005 , 3:11pm by cakegal

amaniemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amaniemom Posted 26 May 2005 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 21

Hi. I saw a cake pan once on the internet and can't find it anymore. It is used to make little squares like checkered affect in the cake, so you can use white and choclate in the cake.
I don't think I am expalining it well but does anyone know what Iam talking aobut? If so what is called and where can I find one.
thanks

20 replies
Rookie68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rookie68 Posted 26 May 2005 , 5:06pm
post #2 of 21

Hi!

It's called a checkboard cake pan....I've attached a link for you from amazon. For price you just type in a search "checkerboard cake pan" and several will come up!

Hope this helps!

Peggy

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004R90W/?tag=cakecentral-20

amaniemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amaniemom Posted 26 May 2005 , 5:07pm
post #3 of 21

Thanks Peggy icon_smile.gif

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 26 May 2005 , 9:10pm
post #4 of 21

Hi, I have one. It's from pampered chef. I haven't used it yet. Hope you find what you're looking for!

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 27 May 2005 , 4:01am
post #5 of 21

I have one of these, and I love it. It's so fun to watch people's expressions when they cut the cake and see the pattern for the first time! Plus, you can get really creative with your colors if you start out with a plain white cake mix. I've made green/white for St Pat's Day, pink/purple for daughter's bday, white/lemon for MIL's bday. Enjoy!!

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 27 May 2005 , 4:03am
post #6 of 21

Is it very hard to use momsandraven? I thought about buying one myself.. I just love the checkerboard design it makes..

letseatcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letseatcake Posted 27 May 2005 , 4:08am
post #7 of 21

You can do that without a special pan. If your cake mix is a thicker one, not real runny you can put the two flavors in large pipng bags and pipe the rings alternating the colors. You need three pans the same size. So if you were doing white and choc. two pans will be white, choc, white and one would be choc, white, choc, or visa versa.

Hope this helps

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 27 May 2005 , 4:10am
post #8 of 21

ntertayneme,
The pan is pretty easy to use. The only part that threw me off the first time is that you need to have both batters ready to go at the same time before you pour into the pans. Other than that, the directions are easy to follow, and it works out nicely. I think you should get it, they make those little quickee cakes so much more interesting. icon_smile.gif

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 27 May 2005 , 5:45am
post #9 of 21

I too have the Pampered chef one, I love the insert, but not sure about the pans.... I dont like the dark pans for cakes and such..

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 27 May 2005 , 1:03pm
post #10 of 21

Flav, have you tried the insert in a regular pan? Just wondering if it would work.

magentaa23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
magentaa23 Posted 27 May 2005 , 1:11pm
post #11 of 21

we make a checkerboard cake at my work and all i do its cut the cake into 4 layers and use 2 round cookie cutters a small and large and just cut circles out and put them together... sounds like alot of work.. but its not really

blessBeckysbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessBeckysbaking Posted 28 May 2005 , 10:53am
post #12 of 21

i also have the pans but have not tried them yet I always seem to do sheet cakes never get to use my round pans

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 29 May 2005 , 1:29am
post #13 of 21

I have one and the inset thing that you use is plastic.....The recipe that came on the box is really good, but it's so thick that it was hard to fill in the different rings.....you need a recipe that flows pretty good but the end result is so cool!

tcrema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcrema Posted 29 May 2005 , 8:17am
post #14 of 21

Hi I thought that I would add to this. I also make checkerboard cakes out of rectangle and square pans too. all you have to do is take and make your own inserts out of card board wrapped in seran wrap and sprayed with cooking spray (allows for easy removal) If you make a square you make a square out of the cardboard tape it together at the tops and then make smaller ones to go inside. then all you have to do is make two or three cakes with the alternating colors...two pans would be color x,y,x and one pan would be color y,x,y the one pan that is different would go in the middle of course. You can do any colors you want with a white cake or you can even do flavors like strawberry and chocolate etc...hope this helps you out and if you have any questions pm me!

blessBeckysbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessBeckysbaking Posted 30 May 2005 , 9:33am
post #15 of 21

Thanks for the tips Crema

tcrema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcrema Posted 30 May 2005 , 10:03pm
post #16 of 21

NO PROBLEM!!!! Glad I could finally give some tips!

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 31 May 2005 , 3:31pm
post #17 of 21

i have that pan from pampered chef.........it is okay...kind of expensive and i dont think i've used it over once. i would do the homade thing the other girls talked about and save your money for something else.
melody

Peachez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachez Posted 31 May 2005 , 4:49pm
post #18 of 21

I really like the Brylane Kitchen catalog. They sell all sorts of really cool cake stuff. I ordered the checkerboard cake pan from them and use it frequently. The best part...it was only $12.99! Here's the link if anyone is interested. http://www.brylanekitchen.com/brylanekitchen/product/product.asp?pf_id=31835&dept_id=4067&parent_id=4018&

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 21 Jun 2005 , 2:28am
post #19 of 21

Kudos to letseatcake!! I tried your method.. I have these huge rings, like giant round cookie cutters that I won in a bid for some pastry stuff off of eBay ... I put one of these in the center of a 10" round pan .. then I used a smaller size that I had and put in the center of the large cookie cutter... I then spooned chocolate, white, chocolate into the rings ... the next pan I did white, chocolate, white... then I stacked them to see what it looked like when I cut it .. it comes out with the squares of the checkerboard cake .. thanks for the tip letseatcake for sharing the idea ... you saved me the money of buying a pan I didn't need! lol

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 21 Jun 2005 , 2:41am
post #20 of 21

I have a set on the way and I'm planning on doing strwberry and banana cakes. I can hardly wait!

Debbi

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 21 Jun 2005 , 3:11pm
post #21 of 21

These cakes are the coolest looking cakes when cut...
I may have to invest in one of these pans....
I might have my hubby make me the rings and squares....he works with sheet metal....
Oh....do you remove the rings/squares before baking.... i know you would the cardboard....
Happy checkering,
cakegal

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%