Where Can I Rent A Commercial Kitchen In Michigan?

Business By adonisthegreek1 Updated 30 Jun 2014 , 2:32pm by akabada

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 29 May 2007 , 11:50pm
post #1 of 21

If anyone knows where I can rent a commercial kitchen "really cheap" in Macomb County Michigan, please let me know. I have called dozens of VFW halls, etc. and can't believe the rude responses that I've gotten. I donate a lot, but have not sold anything yet. I want it to be perfectly legal. I am a stay at home mom and my investment dollars are lacking. Any ideas?

20 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 30 May 2007 , 3:11am
post #2 of 21

Call the dept of Agriculture, they can usually point you in the right direction. Also the MSU extension service has a branch in Macomb county out by Lakeside Mall. They're good with the start to finish of starting a business and they said something about the incubator kitchen being almost ready. Hopefully that will give you some starting points! icon_biggrin.gif

kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 30 May 2007 , 2:02pm
post #3 of 21

i was saying maybe it's not selling my goods where the money's at...it's renting out legal kitchen space. i just finished up with my pastry certificate and everyone at school is talking about how hard it is to find a kitchen to use. definately something to look into. i had also heard about an incubator kitchen down in detroit somewhere. don't know if i want to drive from oakland county, but rent may be cheap. i'll have to find the paperwork again.

adonisthegreek1 Posted 30 May 2007 , 6:30pm
post #4 of 21

Thanks so much "bobwonderbuns" and "kneadacookie" for your responses. I will follow up on your suggestions. My friend/neighbor and I both had our basements finished about 18 months ago. She had a second kitchen put in her basement. I wasn't even into baking then so I did not have one added. Her's has never been used and she has told me that I could use her 2nd kitchen to acquire a license. I just wasn't sure about whether she'd have to take out added insurance or pay add'l taxes. I didn't want to create problems/expenses for her. I will explore all options and see which ones are feasible.

kneadacookie Posted 30 May 2007 , 6:42pm
post #5 of 21

she got a license for her basement?? i was told i could not have it in my home at all. i'd love to hear how she pulled it off.

bobwonderbuns Posted 30 May 2007 , 7:10pm
post #6 of 21

I know of a few cake decorators who have licensed kitchens attached to the home but none of them are in the tri-county area, they are all out in rural areas. I'm not sure if the restrictions are more lax out there or what the story is.

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 30 May 2007 , 8:05pm
post #7 of 21

That's just awful that people are giving you rude responces about renting their kitchens! I always thought "if" I ever did this, that it would be easy to get a kitchen to rent! Yikes!

I have heard that basements could not be certified as well, maybe that depends on the county.

I'd be interested to see more on the incubator kitchen, I thought that was happening in Lansing which is too far away for me.

Have you called any churches yet?
I've often wondered if smaller bakeries - more like the little italian ones that are ALL OVER the Macomb area would rent - or a cookie shop?

What about those food prep places where people pay to build meals for the week - do they have ovens and I wonder if they would be willing to rent? There are a few around, but I have not looked up where, except for one in St. Clair Shores which seems to have called it quits.... hmm so if anyone's looking for a building, I bet they have good kitchen space!

sweeteecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeteecakes Posted 30 May 2007 , 8:53pm
post #8 of 21

Please excuse my ignorance but what is an incubator kitchen? Is that like renting from a church? icon_redface.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 30 May 2007 , 10:16pm
post #9 of 21

That's a great question! An incubator kitchen is a fully licensed kitchen which is owned and operated by (say for example) the MSU extension service. People pay for the use of it for so many hours per day (say 4 hours every Thursday) and it already has it's licensing. That is its sole function too, to be a ready-made rent-a-kitchen.

The problem with that as well as renting kitchens from churches and other venues is that you have to store on location ALL your utinsels, food products (sugar, flour, etc.), pots, pans, K5 mixer, spatulas, etc. etc. etc. and do all the work on location. You cannot bring it in during the time you have rented it for because the Dept. of Agriculture cannot assure food safety if you did that (they're quite fussy about that sort of thing!) I know I went round and round with them on that point but they were adamant.

sweeteecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeteecakes Posted 31 May 2007 , 12:08am
post #10 of 21

Very interesting! Thanks Bobwonderbuns. I will have to check and see if we have an MSU extension here, which I am sure we do.

Thanks.

adonisthegreek1 Posted 31 May 2007 , 1:30am
post #11 of 21

[quote="czyadgrl"]...Have you called any churches yet? ...

I have, but they don't have the appropriate license. The few that I've talked to are allowed to have fundraisers, but not fully licensed to sell to the general public. Michigan Dept. of Agriculture said that I could use a non licensed church or other facility, but I'd have to acquire my own license and pass inspection.

adonisthegreek1 Posted 31 May 2007 , 1:35am
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneadacookie

she got a license for her basement?? i was told i could not have it in my home at all. i'd love to hear how she pulled it off.

Wow, I don't know who you talked to, but MDA told me that a separate kitchen in my home is fine. They said that it had to have its own refrigerator, sink, stove, utensils, etc. completely separate from those that i use for my family.

Also, here is a link answering that question:
http://www.michigan.gov/mda/0,1607,7-125--159914--,00.html

adonisthegreek1 Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 11:20pm
post #13 of 21

Michigan does have an incubator kitchen. It's located in the Western part of the state, so that won't help me. If anyone is interested, here's the article:

http://www.matr.net/article-22022.html

kneadacookie Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 1:43am
post #14 of 21

thanks adonis. i guess i'll be calling the mda on monday(the lansing mda)

dacakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dacakelady Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 1:56am
post #15 of 21

this is VERY interesting and informative...I live in Detroit and currently looking at what types of possibilities (if any) I could have a having a home based business(guess I"ll have to try out other avenues)...with the employment(or lack of) situation here, one would think if they wanted to start (this type) of home business, it wouldn't be too much of a problem...

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 2:03am
post #16 of 21

I was told that in MI you had to have a seperate entrance to the kitchen.

And my experience with VFW halls in general has been negative.

adonisthegreek1 Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 2:38pm
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janette

I was told that in MI you had to have a seperate entrance to the kitchen.

And my experience with VFW halls in general has been negative.

I was never told anything about a separate entrance. Here's a link that I posted earlier on this thread about licensing to bake at home:

http://www.michigan.gov/mda/0,1607,7-125--159914--,00.html

I'm not surprised that you had negative responses from VFW halls. I donate to every cause and I teach my children the importance of veterans and how they should be admired and respected. I was shocked at how rude they were to me when I just asked a simple question.

The_Parsons_Wife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Parsons_Wife Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 2:52pm
post #18 of 21

Okay, I am in the U.P., but the rules are the same...yup, seperate entrance for home-based-commercial kitchen. I am in the process of opening "hallowed grounds" coffee and bake shop, because the rules are the same anyway...everyone is pleasant enough to work with (inspectors and such) and I am into it now for about $10,000...so praying for an open date SOON! My dh is a pastor for two congregations. One of the congregations has a licenced kitchen because they have a daycare...we are just not comfortable bringing our "profit" business into the church building. Blessings on your Baking, and if you have more questions feel free to ask! Shawn <><

megamere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megamere Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 1:46am
post #19 of 21

Bobwonderbuns- who at MSU did you get ahold of? Do you know how much it runs to rent their space?
THANKS!

sancastle03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sancastle03 Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 5:36am
post #20 of 21

I just found this site, place located in Southfiled.  myculinarystudio.com.

Hope its helpful

akabada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akabada Posted 30 Jun 2014 , 2:32pm
post #21 of 21

I'm considering purchasing a small commercial building in Troy and converting it into 10 small commercial kitchens - most would be 500sf with one or two at 1,000sf.  Rent would be about $2/sf per month on a 5 year lease.  I'd supply hood, fire suppression, and grease trap - all other equipment, shelving, and utilities would be responsibility of the tenant.  I'd like to get the professional community's thoughts on such a service - do you think there would be interest out there?  Thanks for any input - David 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%