Ideas For A Guy On His Way To Marine Corps Boot Camp

Decorating By shrek Updated 30 May 2007 , 8:34pm by abslu

shrek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shrek Posted 29 May 2007 , 5:17pm
post #1 of 15

My brother will be leaving to boot camp soon. We are planning a party for him and i want to make him something special. i am all out of ideas. i need help. Any ideas or suggestions? thanks.

14 replies
SpudCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpudCake Posted 29 May 2007 , 8:39pm
post #2 of 15

You could make a cake with the Eagle/globe and anchor. I have one in my photos. When my son left for boot camp I printed an edible image of a drill sargeant barking orders and I also wrote things like OORAH and SEMPER FI on it. All the best to your brother.

Joanne usaribbon.gif

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 29 May 2007 , 9:38pm
post #3 of 15

A helmet on a larger cake might be cool. The anchor and globe is definatly another option, www.countrykitchensa.com has a large candy mold of it along with some smaller ones. I've been looking because my FIL was a Marine.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 29 May 2007 , 9:43pm
post #4 of 15

a duffel bag (marine style)....

with little touches of home sticking out of it:

package of cookies,
his teddy bear
picture of the family, etc.

"just remember -- family beats marines!"

bellejoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 29 May 2007 , 9:48pm
post #5 of 15

I did a really nice one in my pics. Got the idea from this site. icon_smile.gif

dominique26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dominique26 Posted 29 May 2007 , 9:56pm
post #6 of 15

I made a cake a few months ago for a friend on his way to Iraq. I used the Wilton Little Hero pan.

BelleJoey, your cake is beautiful BTW!
LL

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 29 May 2007 , 9:56pm
post #7 of 15

I would do a pic of Chesty (the bulldog) and then put the words "Semper Fidelis"

brilandken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brilandken Posted 29 May 2007 , 9:58pm
post #8 of 15

How about a pair of combat boots? However, I do think Doug's idea is really cute.

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 29 May 2007 , 9:58pm
post #9 of 15

This coming from a former Navy Girl Vet and someone who married a Naval retiree----- Semper Fi to your brother... the Marines have my utmost respect and I sure hope everything goes well for he and your entire family, Lord knows we need all the prayers for our military these days.... usaribbon.gif

Ok so as for the cake, what about a bull dog or devil dog icon_smile.gif He is doing any special ops training that you could tie into it? What about a beautiful fondant American flag on half the sheet and then camo print on the other, with his photo in between in a circle..... put the Marine Emblem in the circle and and his photo... that would be cool... oooohhhh ooooohhhh do some dog tags out of fondant and brush with dust and then put it on the camo side of the cake!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 29 May 2007 , 10:05pm
post #10 of 15

You could do a big replica of a MRE.. icon_lol.gificon_wink.gif

Give my love to your brother.. my brother is a Marine. He just got back from Iraq on May 3rd. Oooh Rah!! and good luck to him.

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 29 May 2007 , 10:07pm
post #11 of 15

Having been a Marine recruit leaving for Parris Island (many many moons ago! LOL), I like the duffle bag idea. You could put things in it that he won't get for awhile... just little homey thing, like Doug said. Gum and other candy are good ones, since you don't get those things while in boot camp. icon_smile.gif

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 29 May 2007 , 10:36pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

You could do a big replica of a MRE.. icon_lol.gificon_wink.gif

Now you made me hungry. icon_redface.gif They're kind of gross but we thought those were the best treats when we were kids (I'm an Army brat) and I haven't had one in years. icon_lol.gif

shrek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shrek Posted 30 May 2007 , 4:28am
post #13 of 15

ALL your ideas are so cute!! Thanks Everyone!!! thumbs_up.gif

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 30 May 2007 , 4:34am
post #14 of 15

There is a picture in my photos of a Marine Cake I did for a lady who's brother was heading out for Iraq earlier this year. It remains one of my favorites to have decorated to date. icon_smile.gif

abslu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abslu Posted 30 May 2007 , 8:34pm
post #15 of 15

I like the idea of an Eagle, Globe & Anchor, maybe on a red round cake! My little bro is a Marine, and I thank him all the time for his service! Many props to your brother for serving . . . ooo rah! usaribbon.gif

~Abslu

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%