Fondant Farm Animals

Decorating By cashley Updated 31 May 2013 , 12:01pm by SetFree

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 8:14pm
post #1 of 18

Does anyone know where to get instructions on how to make farm animals out of fondant? My daughter wants to make a farm cake and animals to enter into the fair competition and she would love to start to make the animals now. She also wants to make a tractor so if anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated. She is 14 and has taken all 3 wilton courses with me and just loves the creativity you can do with cakes.

17 replies
cakedreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedreams Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 18

I have purchased books from craft stores for clay sculpting and just incorporated them into fondant... There are some really cute books for clay figures out there, and same concept for using clay as fondant... Hope this helps.

Cakedreams

aggiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiecakes Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 8:29pm
post #3 of 18

I did a cow cake and got the step by step instructions for the cow on pastrywiz.com. I don't think there were other farm animals on that particular site, but this might get you started.

Lueet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lueet Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 8:39pm
post #4 of 18

I just saw this one on the Wilton site today and thought it was cute: http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/bday/redbarn.cfm#

The animals were just piped from royal icing. Maybe she can find some inspiration!

cashley Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 9:43pm
post #5 of 18

Thanks so much will have to look around for some inspiration for her.

mariak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariak Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 1:22pm
post #6 of 18

I did a farm animal cake a while back . I looked at my boys Little people animals to help me sculpt them. It helped me out a lot. Here is a picture of my animals and the cake. I know there are other farm animals in the galleries under 3-d figures.Hope this helps!
LL
LL

gakali Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gakali Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 1:33pm
post #7 of 18

Your animals are incredible mariak! That cake is awesome!

cashley Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 1:48pm
post #8 of 18

The animals are so cute thanks for sharing I think they may help her alot....what did you make the haystack from?

mariak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariak Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 3:34pm
post #9 of 18

Thanks! I had originally made a cupcake that I was going to cover in hay but my two year old got a hold of it and ate it. icon_cry.gif I ended up making a mound of fondant and using the grass tip to make the hay. I started at the bottom and worked my way up. The only problem with the fondant was that it was heavy and cracked my icing.

One tip I do have it whatever you use as your base for the hay stack make sure it is the same color as the hay. Mine was white and I had to really work to make sure none of it showed through.

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 3:36pm
post #10 of 18

mariak those animals are just too cute! I absolutely LOVE piggies and those are way cute

BekkiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BekkiM Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 5:14pm
post #11 of 18

mariak, those animals are awesome!!!! thumbs_up.gif I really love the sheep. And I just happen to have some leftover mmf in my refrigerator right now--I can't wait to go home and attempt some animals!

cashley Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 3:19am
post #12 of 18

Thank you so much for your help with this, I showed my daughter and she was very excited to get started. She made some MMF and did some cobs of corn this afternoon. Good project for her while not in school, keeps her busy. Thanks so much will keep you posted.

sugarbaby8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbaby8 Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 10:27pm
post #13 of 18

Try the site below. I found it on pintrest. It has quite a few farm animals on it. Hope this helps.

http://pinterest.com/pin/35536284530126081/

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 10:33pm
post #14 of 18

There are some farm animals tutorials on this site:  http://www.lovelytutorials.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 3:46am
post #15 of 18

Hi, anytime i have ever googled for any kind of fondant animal , a tutorial of some kind will come up. It might be youtube, or any ones personal site. hth

suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 4:00am
post #16 of 18

Some time ago Rylan had posted the undermentioned:hth. I am sure I saw a tractor tutorial on this site. I will look for it.

ANIMALS

Animal bodies (comes with a variety of instructions):

suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 4:05am
post #17 of 18

Sometime ago Rylan came up with a list of animals. hth.

ANIMALS

Animal bodies (comes with a variety of instructions):

SetFree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SetFree Posted 31 May 2013 , 12:01pm
post #18 of 18

Can anyone tell me how to keep the colors from fading?  The pink i use on animals seem to fade so quickly.  Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%