Cooking Cakes.

Decorating By luvbaking Updated 26 May 2005 , 5:21pm by msmeg

luvbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbaking Posted 25 May 2005 , 11:37pm
post #1 of 6

How do you normally cook your cake? Covered or uncovered? The reason I'm asking this is because sometimes I notice the top tend to crust before the inside cooks through. Thanks in advance.

5 replies
ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 25 May 2005 , 11:50pm
post #2 of 6

If it's a larger cake, I lower the oven temperature .. I also use the bake-even strips which I feel help not only with helping the cake tops to not round so much, but I think it helps to make it bake more evenly ... icon_smile.gif

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 26 May 2005 , 3:35am
post #3 of 6

I always bake the cake uncovered. You may want to try lowering your oven temp, or use a heating core or metal flower nail in the center or use bake even strips.

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 26 May 2005 , 4:04am
post #4 of 6

I frequently bake at 325 degrees instead of 350. It is just enough of a lower temp that I don't get as much dome-ing in the center and it cooks more evenly throughout. It takes a bit longer to bake though, so be prepared for that in your schedule.

luvbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbaking Posted 26 May 2005 , 3:24pm
post #5 of 6

Ok! I will definitely try lowering the oven temp but I've heard about the bake even strips but don't know what they are & where can I get them? Sounds interesting.

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 26 May 2005 , 5:21pm
post #6 of 6

Wilton makes the strips but before we could buy those pepole used strips of terry towels soaked in water to do the same thing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%