Icing Color Different On Top & Sides?

Decorating By mkorbal Updated 6 Jul 2006 , 3:19am by yudyspad

mkorbal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkorbal Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 1:33pm
post #1 of 4

Just a quick question....I have a 12inch round that needs red icing on the sides and white icing on the top. And hints/tips/tricks to do this? How do you keep the colors seperate? I can't figure out how I'm going do this without having red in my white or white in my red?

I'm sure there's an easy way to do this but at the moment I'm stumped! Thanks for your help!

3 replies
jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 1:42pm
post #2 of 4

If there's going to beaborder on top, they either don't have to touch all the way or you can have them touch and not worry about keeping them seperate right at the line. The border will cover the line! I would do the red first though, then the white. Good luck!

brookej01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brookej01 Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 2:19pm
post #3 of 4

if there isn't a border then i would ice the sides first wrap wax paper around the top even with the top edge and ice the white on. the paper helps keep the colors from mixing. also the sides will need to be set up some before you use the wax paper or you'll pull your icing off.

good luck

yudyspad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yudyspad Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 3:19am
post #4 of 4

You might check out the article on the perfectly smooth cake. It is posted on this site on the home page. It takes about freezing the icing after you roll it out on wax paper and then once it is hard putting it on your cake. I would think this would be great for a two tone cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%