Help!!!!! Torting

Decorating By imartsy Updated 6 Jul 2006 , 12:21am by Richard

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 5:51pm
post #1 of 25

I CAN NEVER TORTE STRAIGHT! I have both Wilton levelers now and no matter what I do, it seems to always "dip" in the middle of whatever cake I'm trying to cut. I KNOW I can't cut straight with a serrated knife either. I need help! I've heard about using the floss-method, but I don't know that it will work either. ANY TIPS?? PLEASE!!!

24 replies
imartsy Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 5:55pm
post #2 of 25

please??!

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 5:58pm
post #3 of 25

I put my cake on the turntable and I use a very long bread knife, but you can probably get the same results with floss. Make a slice with side of knife, not the tip and slowly turn the turntable and keep the knife level all the way around. Once you have made a cut all the way around, keep going but cut a little deeper as you go. Once you have gone around a few times, you should be all the way thru and it should give you an even torte. Try this and see if it helps.

Cindy

**Hope that makes sense!!

imartsy Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 6:01pm
post #4 of 25

ANy trick for keeping your hand/knife from moving?

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 6:01pm
post #5 of 25

First off, throw away or give away or find another use for those Wilton Levelers. They are awful and built very badly. The blades bend and are cheap.

If you don't want to buy a leveler (the good ones are expensive, but so worth it! I have a Agbay, and it is the best investment I have ever made! I can torte even full sheets with no efforts and get perfectly level cakes) then you need to just practice! I find the best way is to put the cake on a turntable, get a good bread knife with good sharp teeth on it, and then start torting, as you slowly turn the turntable. This allows you to get a nice even slice. (again with practice)

Again, I am lazy and want to just hurry up and get my cakes torted...I highly recommend the Agbay..

As for other uses for your Wilton Levelers...they are great for winding your yarn around! hahaha

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 6:06pm
post #6 of 25

Just go slowly and watch what you are doing. You can do it!! I do the same when taking the tops off of my cakes and it works great. Like loriemoms said, practice, practice, practice!!! I have found if mine is a little off, icing works wonders for leveling things up!!!

Cindy

heyjules Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heyjules Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 7:33pm
post #7 of 25

I couldn't torte cakes for anything either, then I read to freeze them first, and it works so great. I use the wilton leveler, but it has a hard time getting into the cake at first, so I make a mark with a knife first. hope that helps some!

Fascination Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fascination Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 8:24pm
post #8 of 25

Hello:
Here is a trick I learned recently.
Measure your cake; decide how high your cutting line needs to be (ie. cake is 3 inches high; cuttting line will be at 1.5 inches). Using cake drums (same size as your cake), stack them to equal 1.5 inches (i.e. use 6 drums of 1/4 inch). Place the cake drums in the pan you baked the cake; flip the cake back into the pan on top of the cake drums. It should now be sticking out 1.5 inches. Using a long serrated knife, slice the cake while keeking the blade leveled on the edge of the pan. Slide a cake board between the layers to remove the top half and flip the cake pan to remove the bottom half. I also use this method to level the top of my cakes; I just stack cake boards till the top of the cake is above the edge & slice, same as above. Works perfectly every time; just wipe the drum that came in contact with the cake, & you can use it again. I hope you find this useful.
IMS

lauracriado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauracriado Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 8:29pm
post #9 of 25

Go to www.agbayproducts.com and buy yourself a state of the art cake leveler. You will see a huge difference. It's worth every penny. good luck.

imartsy Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 8:29pm
post #10 of 25

Wow, Fascination, that sounds like a good idea. I'll have to get some cake drums first though! I've used the "floss-tape" method w/ this latest sheetcake and I cut the 12 x 18 in half first. Then I slid the top layer onto a flat cookie sheet.

Next time though, I have all these great ideas! Thank you guys!

Fascination Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fascination Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 9:06pm
post #11 of 25

Hello again;
Glad to be of help;
Large cake drums might be hard to find & expensive; you can just stack regular cake boards till you get the right height; or if you plan on making many of some unusual size, you might want to have a piece of ply wood cut to size & then cover it with plastic wrap. (or if you are lucky enough to find a good cutting board, that would work too.)
Let me know if you try it & how it works for you.
Bye for now
IMS

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 10:05pm
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauracriado

Go to www.agbayproducts.com and buy yourself a state of the art cake leveler. You will see a huge difference. It's worth every penny. good luck.

Man, I just LOVE mine! If ever anyone asked me what is one of the top ten time saving gadgets, my Agbay is it. I love love love it!

lauracriado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauracriado Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 10:15pm
post #13 of 25

Yes, it's a great thing, isn't it!

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 5:21am
post #14 of 25

I Love my agbay leveler. I agree...worth every penny. I have the one with two blades and it works great!

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 5:43am
post #15 of 25

I tried torting a cake right out of the freezer and could not for the life of me get through the middle of it. My sister-in-law pulled out her hair dryer and was trying to thaw the cake as I fought with it! Is that because I was using the Wilton leveler or am I not supposed to torte right out of the freezer?

The cake recipe I was using recommended freezing before torting since it's a more fragile cake so I assumed that meant torte right out of the freezer.

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 6:49am
post #16 of 25

I cut my hand while trying to torte a frozen cake. I think refrigerated is best for me. I took the large wilton cake slicer back. I thought it did poorly. I like the little one, and for 4.00 not a big investment. Agbay looks awesome. Need to get that in the future. does anyone have the one from King arthur?

http://shop.bakerscatalogue.com/detail.jsp?id=7158&pv=1152082119150

Looks cool, not too expensive...except for their shipping!! yeow!

LeeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeAnn Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 11:08am
post #17 of 25

Wilton cake levellers should be abolished

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 1:54pm
post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fascination

Hello again;
Glad to be of help;
Large cake drums might be hard to find & expensive; you can just stack regular cake boards till you get the right height; or if you plan on making many of some unusual size, you might want to have a piece of ply wood cut to size & then cover it with plastic wrap. (or if you are lucky enough to find a good cutting board, that would work too.)
Let me know if you try it & how it works for you.
Bye for now
IMS

what is a cake drum??

imartsy Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 2:22pm
post #19 of 25

Leta

Quote:
Quote:

I cut my hand while trying to torte a frozen cake. I think refrigerated is best for me.

I cut my hand w/ that stupid Wilton cake leveler. I didn't want to buy it - but thought it was really my only option at the time b/c I was torting a large 12 x 18 sheetcake. I eventually ended up cutting each cake in half, marking each w/ the leveler, and then using the floss-method. I'm taking the Wilton leveler back too - we should all complain to the company -has ANYONE had luck w/ these? It totally ruined one of my cakes.... it cut in such an awful slope. Although I have that problem w/ the smaller one too - I think it has losts it's strength - it just flies all over the place now.

Agbay leveler is on my B-day AND Christmas list!!!!

imartsy Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 2:25pm
post #20 of 25

Leta

Quote:
Quote:

I cut my hand while trying to torte a frozen cake. I think refrigerated is best for me.

I cut my hand w/ that stupid Wilton cake leveler. I didn't want to buy it - but thought it was really my only option at the time b/c I was torting a large 12 x 18 sheetcake. I eventually ended up cutting each cake in half, marking each w/ the leveler, and then using the floss-method. I'm taking the Wilton leveler back too - we should all complain to the company -has ANYONE had luck w/ these? It totally ruined one of my cakes.... it cut in such an awful slope. Although I have that problem w/ the smaller one too - I think it has losts it's strength - it just flies all over the place now.

Agbay leveler is on my B-day AND Christmas list!!!!

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 2:39pm
post #21 of 25

I have not had any luck with either of the Wilton levelers and have taken them both back. I love Facinations idea of the drums and the agbay is definitely on my bithday list. Thanks to all for your great input!

MissT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissT Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 3:43pm
post #22 of 25

I've never had a problem with the Wilton levelers. However, I have learned not to hold the cake by pressing down on the top while leveling (regardless of method I use). This is a sure way to get a dip in the middle. icon_wink.gif

imartsy Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 4:22pm
post #23 of 25

Do you mean pressing down on the top of the leveler or on the cake? I had to "prop" the cake against my counter to keep it still while I tried to saw through that stupid cake! I'm liking the floss method! The only thing is scoring the cake at the right height - that was the only thing that leveler did that was helpful!

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 11:52pm
post #24 of 25

No, a frozen cake won't cut. It has to be room temp.

Richard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Richard Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 12:21am
post #25 of 25

What is a Cake Drum??????

Kathy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%