Why Does My Rbc Taste Funny?

Baking By sew4children Updated 29 May 2007 , 12:16am by cakesonoccasion

sew4children Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sew4children Posted 28 May 2007 , 2:06am
post #1 of 9

I was so excited to try rbc for my cookies. I loved the way it handled and when I decided to try one, it didn't taste like I expected. It wasn't awful, but not as delicious as some of you said it was. I followed this recipe:

1cp light corn syrup
1cp shortening
1/2tsp salt
1 tsp flavoring

My frosting tastes like something I would equate to sawdust (though I have never actually tasted sawdust). Can someone tell me what I did wrong?

Thanks!

Karol

8 replies
cakesonoccasion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesonoccasion Posted 28 May 2007 , 2:31am
post #2 of 9

You're missing all of the powdered sugar....!!

JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 28 May 2007 , 2:56pm
post #3 of 9

That's the recipe I use...adding a two pound bag of powdered sugar to your list of ingredients. So, if you forgot the sugar, there's your answer! If you actually put in the sugar, I'm not sure why it wouldn't taste good. I thought it was quite yummy. Lets us know if you forgot the sugar so we can help you from there. Jodie

sew4children Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sew4children Posted 28 May 2007 , 9:26pm
post #4 of 9

I put in 2 pounds of powdered sugar. I forgot to type it in. I know that there are several rbc recipes out there. This one was spoken highly of so I tried it. I wonder if my Crisco was bad. When I was washing my dishes, I noticed a smell on the shortening spoon that smelled just like the taste. I have only had the Crisco for two weeks and kept the lid on it after the first use. Can it go bad that quickly?

Love2Create Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Love2Create Posted 28 May 2007 , 9:36pm
post #5 of 9

Crisco can not go bad that quick. Maybe you just had a bad batch.
Can someone tell me what RBC is? My guess is Rolled Butter Cream?
Am I right? I'm not good with the abbreviations, sorry.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 28 May 2007 , 9:40pm
post #6 of 9

Crisco will most likely out live you. I've never had any go bad.

LisaMH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMH Posted 28 May 2007 , 9:42pm
post #7 of 9

Did you smell the can of shortening? Rancid shortening has a very "special" odor to it (I wanna hurl just thinking about it). That's probably what it was. It shouldn't go bad that quickly unless there was a packaging problem or it was stored in a warm musty pantry with no ventilation. I hate when that happens!!! icon_cry.gif

cakesonoccasion Posted 29 May 2007 , 12:14am
post #8 of 9

Yah- chances are it was bad. I personally change up the flavorings a bit as well...I use 1tsp vanilla and 1tsp butter flavoring. I've also been using the Wal-Mart brand shortening, since the Crisco they carry at my store is all 0 trans-fat now. It does make a difference. (In the texture- not the taste)...some people add orange or lemon, as well- so play around and find what you like!

cakesonoccasion Posted 29 May 2007 , 12:16am
post #9 of 9

Oh... and WELCOME Karol and Lisa!!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%