When Do You Torte Frozen Cakes?

Decorating By imartsy Updated 6 Jul 2006 , 4:22am by MakeItYours

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 1:56am
post #1 of 8

Okay so I froze some cakes - now if I want to torte them (or even if I wanted to carve them) how long would I let them sit on the counter and come to room temperature? I know that I can't cut into a completely frozen cake..... but I'm not sure if I should let it completely come to room temp. or if it should be sorta frozen..... just looking for opinions (oh this is my 12 x 18 sheetcake if size matters).

7 replies
MakeItYours Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MakeItYours Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 2:09am
post #2 of 8

Somebody recently told me to just take it out of the freezer and start splitting the layer and fill. It is less crumbs and easier to work with. The cakes taste fine. If you want to let them sit a few minutes that is fine to.

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 2:16am
post #3 of 8

Isn't it hard to split frozen? I bought the Wilton large leveler (would rather have that $150 Ateco one, but don't have the $$$ right now). What about people who carve cakes? Don't you freeze them first, and if so, do you try to carve them completely frozen?

Thanks!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 2:58am
post #4 of 8

I find it easier to carve a cake frozen, but I generally torte before freezing. It's easier to handle the torted sheet cakes when they're solid.

MakeItYours Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 6:22pm
post #5 of 8

You can also use a serrated bread knife.

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 11:15pm
post #6 of 8

do you ice a frozen cake? or do you wait until its thawed?? I am icing it with buttercream.

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 5:41am
post #7 of 8

Torting a frozen cake is a good way to end up in the emergency room. Maybe mine are more dense than some others, but I once cut myself trying to torte a cake that wasn't thawed. Refrigerated works best for me.

After it is torted I can do whatever...fill, ice decorate.

MakeItYours Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 4:22am
post #8 of 8

You can ice them frozen. You will have less crumbs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%