Copper - Is It Worth The $$$

Sugar Work By sweetjane Updated 10 Jun 2007 , 3:28pm by sweetjane

sweetjane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjane Posted 27 May 2007 , 2:22pm
post #1 of 8

I learned to make candy by my great-grandfather - who had a copper pot and I swear, I could have fit inside it!! Of course that was way too many moons ago and although my candymaking continues, whatever pot I grab is used, mostly stainless steel - no teflon.
My question is - have any of you invested in a copper pot and if so, was it worth the cost? I plan to visit Savannah this summer and see the "Candy Man" that made Paula Deen's brittles. He has given me a source but their wares start at $800 icon_cry.gif
Ebay is just about as bad and you never know what you'll get.
Any feedback will be appreciated.

7 replies
SugarCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarCreations Posted 28 May 2007 , 12:51am
post #2 of 8

Copper is the preferred pan mainly because of its even heating conductivity. Stainless works just as good. As far as investing in a copper pan I would not if your doing well with the stainless.

emie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emie Posted 29 May 2007 , 12:19pm
post #3 of 8

Does your SS pans have a copper bottom? I prefer those.

SugarCreations Posted 29 May 2007 , 9:45pm
post #4 of 8

Emie, be careful in using pans with copper bottoms sometimes the heat raised high will cause the bottom part to fall off I would avoid those and just use a straight stainless steel pan. I have pans with copper bottoms but would not dare use them to cook sugar. There are plenty of other type pans that will work other than stainless steel or copper though.

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 30 May 2007 , 4:53am
post #5 of 8

I've been tempted to get some copper pans (Mauviel brand) from www.williams-sonoma.

SugarCreations Posted 30 May 2007 , 10:56pm
post #6 of 8

[quote="miriel"]I've been tempted to get some copper pans (Mauviel brand) from www.williams-sonoma.[/quote]

Those are good ones.

sweetjane Posted 31 May 2007 , 12:36am
post #7 of 8

Well, I bit the bullet and bought a copper pot on Ebay, I'll try a batch when it arrives and see how it cooks. If it's worth the $$ I may invest in a larger one.

sweetjane Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 3:28pm
post #8 of 8

Just as I expected, the Ebay seller had issues and hasn't sent my copper pot yet. Hopefully it will arrive sometime soon so I can get some practice batches made before the holidays..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%