Wired Decorations

Decorating By beachcakes Updated 18 May 2008 , 7:38pm by DianeLM

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 8:14pm
post #1 of 12

How do you attach wired decorations to a cake? Do you cover the wires somehow or do you clean them with something? I'm thinking springy stars on a 4th of July cake...

11 replies
Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 12

I think you put a straw down into the cake and insert the wires into the straw.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 8:51pm
post #3 of 12

OMG I'm so stupid! Thanks Beckalita! I use straws to support pieces all the time - recently the palm trees on a palm tree cake. Why didn't i think of that??

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 8:53pm
post #4 of 12

I'm so glad you asked this, I think I'm going to do one this week, and I was going to use flower spikes! Straws sound much, much better.

Falenn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Falenn Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 2:52am
post #5 of 12

i was just going to ask a question on wired decorations. I was thinking of doing some w/stars and flowers. can i make them out of fondant? and if so, do i just stick the wire through the fondant so it can hold?

thnx

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 2:58am
post #6 of 12

I was going to ask this question, too.

But how does the drinking straw hold a wire? I'm confused? icon_redface.gif If you push a straw down into the cake and then sit a thin little wire inside it with a weight on top of it, won't it wobble all around and fall or lean over?

Sorry, I'm not understanding this....

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 18 May 2008 , 5:51pm
post #7 of 12

i also cannot see how a stirring straw can keep the decoration in place unless something is packed inthere to keep it steady. theres got to be a trick to this.

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 18 May 2008 , 6:16pm
post #8 of 12

You can use the really tiny "straws"...more of a hollow plastic coffee stirrer~ they are long enough for a 4-5
inch tall cake but not as long as a regular soda straw.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 May 2008 , 6:58pm
post #9 of 12

Also, you put numerous wires into the same straw so that they're not spinning around. You can make a decent "burst" from a single straw in the center of the cake.

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 18 May 2008 , 7:06pm
post #10 of 12

I never would have thought to use the coffee straws. That is a grat idea!

sugarprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarprincess Posted 18 May 2008 , 7:10pm
post #11 of 12

I am glad I read this thread. I am currently making tulips for a garden cake for fathers day. ( haven't quite figured out how I am going to do the cake yet) But I was going to ask the same question today.

I just joined yesterday and I am overwhelmed with all the information here. What a wonderful site!!!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 18 May 2008 , 7:38pm
post #12 of 12

Coffee stirrers are great for single wires. If you use something roomier than a coffee stirrer, jam a thin log of fondant into your straw to hold the wires in place.

For single wires holding very lightweight pieces, all you need to do is wrap the wire in plastic wrap (Saran). It will come right out and not stay in the cake when the wires are removed. That's how I did the stars on this cake:
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%