Maybe This Isn't For Me After All.........

Decorating By SueW Updated 27 May 2007 , 11:16pm by SueW

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 27 May 2007 , 4:52am
post #1 of 16

I don't know if I am cut out for the cake "business" after all. I am finding that I don't have time to practice and when someone is kind enough to ask me to do a cake for them they turn out bad.

I take FOREVER to finish each cake or cookie they ask for. I'd have to charge hundreds( yeah right) to make it worth my time and effort. I get so stressed and never know what recipe to use or design to try.

I am a really anxious person to start with so maybe this was a bad idea. I am finding that having to do a cake for an event is ruining the event itself for me. They are always friend's parties I am invited to anyway. I am up so late the night before and so nervous that they'll hate the cake I am miserable by the time I get there!

I love the idea of this but it isn't working out so well for me icon_cry.gif I also have 2 toddlers at home!

15 replies
JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 27 May 2007 , 5:06am
post #2 of 16

I just took a look at your photos and you do a great job! No need to worry there. Really thumbs_up.gif

Now on the part about being stressed and taking so long, well I can't help you there because I do the same thing. I hate every cake I do and always think no one will like them. But they keep saying the do so I guess I have to believe them. You too need to believe that if they didn't like them they would not keep asking for them.

I say if you have fun and like doing them then don't stop.

As far as thinking they have to be perfect well I watch Ace of Cakes and even they don't have perfect cakes. They have a show and get paid big bucks for their cakes. So I figured that if THEY don't have to be perfect then why should I. icon_biggrin.gif

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 27 May 2007 , 5:06am
post #3 of 16

awww... i'm so sorry to hear you feel that way. i just took a look at your gallery and your cakes and cookies are beautiful! it's never a good thing when something you are supposed to love puts so much pressure on you.

maybe you can just do it for friends and family for holidays or birthdays?

i certainly hope you don't leave us for good. icon_sad.gif

best wishes to you. *hug*

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 27 May 2007 , 5:06am
post #4 of 16

I can understand the stress part of it, and if you're stressing that badly, then maybe you should just play at this for awhile, until your confidence level has gone up some.

That being said, I looked through your photos, and you have NOTHING to be ashamed or worried about! You do really nice work, and anyone should be more than happy to have one of your cakes or some of your cookies at their gathering.

Stop stressing (hah... easier said than done, I know!), and just have fun for awhile. If it's not fun, then don't do it. But believe me... your friends love what you do.

Are you planning to go into business doing this? If so, then I'd suggest just practicing until YOU believe you're as awesome as other people already know you are. icon_smile.gif

I think you're doing great. Relax and have fun!

Just my two cents' worth. icon_smile.gif

youngestdecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
youngestdecorator Posted 27 May 2007 , 5:08am
post #5 of 16

Maybe professional cake decorating isn't for you, but that doesn't mean you need to give it all up at once. You should always continue to try and try again. Time is a big part in cake decorating, but once in a blue moon wouldn't hurt to do a cake project if you want. Well i hope that you can continue to find what helps you out the most. Good luck.

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 27 May 2007 , 5:09am
post #6 of 16

I know how feel. It is stressful. I do know that you get faster the more experience you get. I use to be super slow but now I'm just slow. icon_smile.gif You'll also get more confident as you decorate more. I hope you don't give up!

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 27 May 2007 , 5:10am
post #7 of 16

oh, i meant to ask (just being curious), how old are your toddlers? i have 1 1/2 year old twin boys at home.

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 27 May 2007 , 5:15am
post #8 of 16

Maybe it's not for you right now, maybe you need to take time from the professional and just do it for fun - than when you gain speed and confidence try again at the professional thing.

I'm in a similar situation. I just got legal and now I'm stressed like nothing else because of issues with daycare. thumbsdown.gif Finding someone to watch my kids so I can do cakes is like pulling teeth!

Rachel

lovincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovincake Posted 27 May 2007 , 5:28am
post #9 of 16

Ok SueW, I just looked at your photo gallery and you are much to good at this to give it up, if you really love it! You need to give yourself much more credit than you are. Maybe you can just take a step back and find a way to look at your work with a less critical eye. People would not be asking for your work if they thought it was bad. I know when I do a cake and stand back and look at it I can see every little flaw and it affects how I look at my work, but the people who walk into the room and see that cake setting on the table don't know about the flaws, all they see is the whole picture and they love it! If you love it stick with it...the self confidence will come. Not everyone can do what we do...it takes a lot of patience and some talent too!!! And you have talent in spades!!! icon_lol.gif Linda

albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 27 May 2007 , 5:40am
post #10 of 16

I have those moments too!

I'm not organized enough, not clean enough, could never really compensate myself to all the time I spend, can't seem to get cake, filling and icing to all turn out right at once, not 100% happy with any cake, etc...

But I LOVE the process. And I love it when I take a cake to a gathering and hear "Wow! Where did you get that?" or "You are crazy!" (my favorite) and it only takes one of those comments to remind me that I want to continue in this direction.

Your cookies & cakes are great (I LOVE the Dora goodies) and if the things you love about it outweigh the things you don't, Keep It Up! Find ways to overcome the things you don't like, and keep blessing those around you with beautiful and tasty treats!

SpaceMonque Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpaceMonque Posted 27 May 2007 , 5:44am
post #11 of 16

I was having a hard time with it too. I work full time 3p -11p and bake when I get home. So I always go to bed after 4am and 90% of the time have to get up at 9am to finish decorating. After awhile I started to get the hang of how long I needed to bake the cakes, decorations, and to put it all together. It seemed like what I planned/pictured in my head never came out but then I did the candyland cake. That was the first time that what I planned and pictured is actually what came out. It was also done before 1am the night before After that my confidence got better and the stress went away. I learned how to plan for everything that will or may happen in advance. The other thing that helped me was taking a class with Colette Peters.

So just take deep breaths and do it for fun for now. As you do more cakes and start to get the hang of everything your confidence will come. Your pictures are great don't underestimate or doubt your ability.

Sara

melmcgill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmcgill Posted 27 May 2007 , 6:34am
post #12 of 16

I can understand what you are talking about. I just started out and have a 1 yr old and a 2 yr old. I love doing cakes but find myself staying up late at night to do them. I am getting better and feeling better about my cakes as time goes by, but theres always the stress of making them look perfect. Plus it makes me feel good when my daughter runs in and says "oooh pretty cake!!!" even when it's a total mess!!

Don't give up, your work is great and you have nothing to worry about.

Melanie

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 27 May 2007 , 7:03am
post #13 of 16

I can remember being at exactly the same point you are now just a few years ago. My oldest two are 13 mos apart and the first few years with them was tough. I can remember being very critical of my work and almost dreading the allnighters on ONE cake. Let me assure you that first, the kids get easier, second the cakes get easier, and third you will get faster. That being said, maybe what you need to do is limit yourself somewhat on how much you do. It took me YEARS to get reasonably quick. Your cakes really are great and I think you'd be disappointed if you gave it up all together. Good luck, hun!

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 27 May 2007 , 11:16am
post #14 of 16

I feel the same way.. I have a 2 year old and a 10 year old. During the day I'm tied up with little kid, then after school big kid activities. Evening time is family time and when they go to bed, I spend a little time with DH and then it's 11 pm. I don't think I've ever started a cake before 11 pm. I bake that night and make the buttercream and usually get to bed at 2 am. Then I'm up at 6 am decorating and hoping NOTHING happens as I have no time for mess-ups.

The worst part, is taht I have a HUGE mess on my hands afterward and by then I am too tired to deal with it and it sits all day.

After I just made that pack of pampers cake yesterday I kind of told myself... "Melissa, you just can't do this more than you do it now." I was exhausted and for $80 ( cost was about $15 to make), that's a LOT of work for very little return. I decided NOT to make up business cards to take to the baby shower when I dropped off the cake. I just can't deal with more business.

Plus, I ALWAYS run into snafus. My cakes were concave, so I had to trim and bake anotehr cake to make it tall enough - losing more sleep. I had measured the diapers too tall, so I had to take them off and cut them down to size and reassemble AGAIN and on and on. By the time I'm done I'm sooooooo tired, I'm filthy and I usually feel a bit of disappointment in my final product.

I think the last straw is the mess this all creates. It takes me an hour EVERY time just for clean-up... AWFUL.

Melissa

grami948 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grami948 Posted 27 May 2007 , 12:00pm
post #15 of 16

Take some moments for you to think about what makes you happy. icon_rolleyes.gif There are tons of options between having it be a business & not doing it at all. You have time on your side so just go with what gives you the best feeling about yourself. I could never do it as a business but I have grandkids who think my hobbled creations are the best. That's all I need in life but some people enjoy other levels of creativity. Yours is out there just don't give up on yourself & find your creative comfort zone! thumbs_up.gif

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 27 May 2007 , 11:16pm
post #16 of 16

Thank you everyone for all your encouraging words. It helped today too because the cake I was up making last night was a big hit and everyone loved it. It gave me a little confidence boost thumbs_up.gif It made me realize I really do love to do this I just have to figure out how to not get so crazed over every cake. I think in time (or at least I hope) my confidence will build and with that I will hopefully get better. The friend I did the cake for today said " you are just way too hard on yourself all the time" I think that is the biggest problem.

I think too that if I just stay at this level for a while i can gain speed and then worry about a "business" down the road. I am not looking for anything crazy just something on the side. I keep telling myself as the little ones get older it will be easier too. My little guys will be 2 next week and my daughter will be 4 in August so I have my hands full.

Thanks so much for your thoughtful words, I knew I could count on CC to help. You all really made me take a step back and realzing being insecure (and slow icon_rolleyes.gif ) at first is normal. I have only been doing this a few months.

My DH got me Cake decorating classes with Toba for mother's day, maybe that will help me too icon_razz.gif Thanks again,

Sue

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%