Help! Cookies N' Cream Filling

Decorating By greyhoundlover Updated 7 Jun 2007 , 7:21pm by babybundt

greyhoundlover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greyhoundlover Posted 26 May 2007 , 8:13pm
post #1 of 25

This might be a silly question, but I am trying to make the cookies n' cream filling and it's not thinkening for me. I have been whipping it on high speed for a while now and it's not working. I have even added a little extra icing sugar to help....

Any suggestions?
Thanks

24 replies
melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 26 May 2007 , 8:25pm
post #2 of 25

adding the extra sugar may actually make it go flat .... ? ....

how long have you whipped it? was it whipping cream or half and half?

share your recipe and let us know if you are using a hand mixer, stand mixer, how long etc...so we can help pinpoint the issue.

greyhoundlover Posted 26 May 2007 , 8:36pm
post #3 of 25

I am using a hand mixer, i used 18% real cream, i whipped it for nearly 10 minutes

the recipe i am using is from here...
2 1/2 cups real cream
1/4 cup icing sugar
1/2tsp vanilla

whip until stiff, then add oreo cookies....

greyhoundlover Posted 26 May 2007 , 8:37pm
post #4 of 25

I am using a hand mixer, i used 18% real cream, i whipped it for nearly 10 minutes

the recipe i am using is from here...
2 1/2 cups real cream
1/4 cup icing sugar
1/2tsp vanilla

whip until stiff, then add oreo cookies....

cakesbycombs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycombs Posted 26 May 2007 , 8:43pm
post #5 of 25

i use heavy whipping cream. i whip until stiff then add a teaspoon of vanilla, and enough powdered sugar to sweeten. then fold in cookies.

you could have over-whipped the cream, it could eventually flatten

BunnyMack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BunnyMack Posted 26 May 2007 , 8:56pm
post #6 of 25

If the fat content of your cream is only 18%, I don't think that it will whip. I believe that you need heavy cream which has a fat content of around 30% or more.
Hope that helps!

jenndga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenndga Posted 27 May 2007 , 6:47am
post #7 of 25

If you want a super easy and fabulously yummy cookies and cream filling, use one small carton heavy whipping cream (2 cups) and one box of oreo jello pudding (4 serving size). Whip in chilled bowl with hand mixer for only a minute or so and you will have thick, fluffy, yummy oreo filling. I could eat it with a spoon!!!!! icon_lol.gif

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 27 May 2007 , 7:13am
post #8 of 25

jenndga is right i just made it like that last night and it was so yummy.....used it to fill a marble cake

cakesbygrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbygrandma Posted 27 May 2007 , 7:34am
post #9 of 25

jenndga how exactly do you make that it sounds yummy. Do you add any milk or do you just mix the pudding with the cream.

Thanks

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 27 May 2007 , 8:17am
post #10 of 25

you just mix the cream and pudding mixuntil it gets thick

jenndga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenndga Posted 27 May 2007 , 6:39pm
post #11 of 25

yep, it's so easy it's deceiving! Just whipping cream and pudding mix, two ingredients that turn into an eye's closed, head tilted back, hum a little tune because it's so darn good experience. icon_lol.gif Can you tell I like it?

Never would have known if it weren't for CC!!!!

vande3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vande3boys Posted 27 May 2007 , 8:12pm
post #12 of 25

That sounds like a great fast recipe for oreo filling i have always use WBH recipe. As fo you flat cream issue they were right about the fat content. You need to use a heavy whipping cream, not just heavy cream. you will never get it to thicken up, its just not make for that. You will know if you over whip it because it becomes watery and kinda grainny and you can add a little more cream to whip in it to help.

There is this stuff called Ultra Gel taht you can add to anything hot or cold and it makes anything thicker almost instantly. and it never gets lumpy or has a taste. It is what I use if I only have cream to make "whip cream"
Good Luck.

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 27 May 2007 , 9:52pm
post #13 of 25

I also have made the recipe rom the Whimsical Bake House and only use heavy whipping cream, but I am been afraid to use it during humi months so I switch to pastry pride then just add the crushed oreos

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 27 May 2007 , 9:56pm
post #14 of 25

What is pastry pride and where do you get it? Is it like the Better Creme stuff? Thanks to all..................... icon_lol.gif

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 27 May 2007 , 11:13pm
post #15 of 25

Is like stabilized whipped cream you can buy at cake decorating supply stores I buy it frozen, thaw it and whip it once whipped you can refreeze for later. It just gives me a piece of mind that in won't turn to soup when it's humid I could be wrong too I've read this can happen

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 27 May 2007 , 11:25pm
post #16 of 25

Can Rich's Bettercreme be substituted for the heavy cream?

vande3boys Posted 28 May 2007 , 12:38am
post #17 of 25

Pastry Pride and Riches Buttercream are the same type of thing i can get both of them at Smart and Final. it comes in a paper milk cartoon type of thing.

christielee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christielee Posted 28 May 2007 , 2:17pm
post #18 of 25

I hear everyone on here talk about Rich's bettercream. Do you mostly use it just for fillings? And then you don't have to refrigerate that cake? Or do you also put it in icing, for the fluffy kind or something? And everyone says you can get it at Sam's, but I've looked at 2 different Sam's and couldn't find it. Do you have to ask in the bakery dept.?

Christie

vande3boys Posted 28 May 2007 , 5:04pm
post #19 of 25

I am not sure if you can buy it at Sam's or not. Each store carries somethings and not others but you can ask for them to do a search to find a store near you taht does. I use it for filling and frosting. if you order a cake with whip cream frosting and not BC for the bakery that's what your getting.

Here is the web site that was on mine maybe they have a store locator that sells it. www.richs.com

I love the stuff and use it on all my cakes unless someone asks for BC or fondant. By the way you can not use it to base frost for fondant cakes it won't hold up under the weight. And i put mine in the fridg. but it says non-dairy. Hope this helps.

christielee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christielee Posted 28 May 2007 , 8:54pm
post #20 of 25

Thanks for the info! I will definately try a store locator thingy! And thanks for ideas for usage!

Christie

brooke208 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brooke208 Posted 28 May 2007 , 10:37pm
post #21 of 25

I had the same problem when I tried to make that same Cookies and Cream filling. I gave up on the cream and use a carton of cool whip and added crushed oreos, it was really good and easy.

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 5:18pm
post #22 of 25

Thanks to all, I've wondered about both the BEttercream and whether or not cool whip could be subbed for the heavy cream. Does anyone knoew if it will set up slightly, so as not to slide?

brooke208 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brooke208 Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 6:58pm
post #23 of 25

I made the Cookies and Cream filling w/ whip cream and it worked just fine! It taste great and is much easier than using the heavy cream.

bakincakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakincakin Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 7:12pm
post #24 of 25

I just use buttercream dream and crush up oreo's and fold them into it. Mint are my favorite icon_lol.gif

babybundt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babybundt Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 7:21pm
post #25 of 25

forgive my silly question . after you fill the cake with the cream and pudding mixture and then frost the cake does it need to be refrigerated? if it does do you bring it to room temp. before eating or do you serve it cold form the fridge? thanks........Laura icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%