First Wedding Cake Order - Nervous!

Decorating By cambo Updated 3 Jul 2006 , 6:35pm by cambo

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 3:42pm
post #1 of 8

Well, I have my first wedding cake order! She's the sister of a co-worker of mine and she and her fiance came over for a taste-testing last week. They've chosen something similar to the attached design (by Carol Fouts of The Cake Corner...thanks, Carol, for your inspiration)! Question is....it will need to feed 100-150 (bride is confirming final count this week). What size square pans should I use for each tier? Each tier will have four layers (2-layer cakes each torted once and then stacked). They chose dark chocolate fudge cake and red velvet cake, each with raspberry buttercream filling. The flavors will be alternated within each tier, so each tier will be chocolate/red/chocolate/red....should be very pretty! Can anyone help me out w/ sizes?
Cammie
LL

7 replies
debbie2881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbie2881 Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 4:00pm
post #2 of 8

Here is a link so you can see how many servings each size gives.

http://www.wilton.com/wedding/cakeinfo/cakedata.cfm

Everyone says that wilton slices are small but your cake is 4 layers so it will be big.

If you do a 12'', 10'' & 8'' according to the site its 154 servings total but thats 2 layer cakes.

you could probably do a 10'', 8'' & 6'' which is 100 servings for 2 layers and since you are doing 4 layers it will come out to alot more.

Here is a link also to the cutting guide so you can see what a serving size is

http://www.wilton.com/wedding/cakeinfo/cuttingguide.cfm

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 6:10pm
post #3 of 8

14" Square serves 96
10" Square serves 50
6" Anniversary Layer

That's what I've served, and the porportions are nice. The second Layer won't be hanging over the edge of the bottom layer.

cambo Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 2:43pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks for your help guys! They do not want an "anniversary" layer, they will be serving all three tiers, so depending on her final count, I'll know exactly what to make! Thank you, again!
Cammie

rudoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rudoo Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 3:00pm
post #5 of 8

Cambo, when you said they picked raspberry buttercream filling, is this mixed or the raspberry in-between the buttercream? Thanks, Jonna
Also what is the web addy fo Cake Corner- couldn't find it

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 3:08pm
post #6 of 8

I don't htink this is four layers - she is torting the cakes, but each cake is two 2" cakes, aren't they? that's a regular 2 layer cake. i could be reading the post wrong, but I read it as a chocolate cake and a red velvet cake (each two inches, I assume), torted and alternated in each cake. So each cake is a total of two layers.

I'm only saying this b/c if it really is four 2" layers it will change your serving sizes.

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 3:12pm
post #7 of 8

I think I would go with a 14, 10 & 6 or 8. That would be plenty. Good luck!

cambo Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 6:35pm
post #8 of 8

rudoo.....www.thecakecorner.com. Carol does AMAZING work and she has posted some of her pictures here on CC I believe! She's such an inspiration to me! Also, I mix raspberry preserves into my buttercream and this is the filling between each layer.

jmt1714....yes, you are correct, each tier is considered a regular 2-layer cake. Each 2" cake is torted once and stacked.

Thank you, everyone, for your help! I'll be sure to post pictures when I complete it! It's not until July 22nd! I'm so excited!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%