1/2 & 1/2 Different Flavor Cakes

Decorating By kjackson Updated 27 May 2007 , 1:23am by indydebi

kjackson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjackson Posted 26 May 2007 , 1:06pm
post #1 of 9

Good morning everyone icon_smile.gif

I got an email from a potential customer this morning, and she was inquiring about a 1/4 sheet cake with half being white cake & the other half being chocolate. I don't imagine this being a big deal, but I kinda wanted some insight on it first. Can I bake the whole cake together in the same pan? (White batter on one end, choc. on the other) or will I have to bake them (whole cakes) in seperate pans & cut them in half then put the opposite halves together on the cake board?

Thanks for any & all help icon_biggrin.gif And forgive the typos.. It's still a bit early. I think I went back & got them all. icon_lol.gif

8 replies
delicious_designs7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delicious_designs7 Posted 26 May 2007 , 1:22pm
post #2 of 9

I just take a piece of cardboard wrapped in aluminum foil and hold it in the center of the pan. I make sure both flavors of cake are nearby and pour each flavor into each side of the pan. Just take the cardboard out after pouring and the flavors should not blend together. I have only done a few half & half cakes, but it has worked just fine every time. icon_smile.gif

Good luck!

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 26 May 2007 , 1:34pm
post #3 of 9

I agree with delicious_designs7. I have done half/half cakes this way. The only downside is that they don't generally rise to the same height, so you will have to level off to the height of the shortest cake.

Good luck!

<S>

brilandken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brilandken Posted 26 May 2007 , 1:45pm
post #4 of 9

I just did a half and half 9x13. I baked one whole 9x13 chocolate and one whole 9x13 yellow, leveled them then cut each in half and stacked to get two layers. Used buttercream to stick them together and frosted them.

ahmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahmommy Posted 26 May 2007 , 1:56pm
post #5 of 9

I have always baked 2 cakes because I don't want any of the batter sitting around for too long while the other is mixing (and also because the difference in rising, which can be fixed). I bake from scratch and I usually let the butter and sugar cream for at least 4 minutes (plus I add the sugar gradually which takes more time). I don't know if letting it sit would make that much difference, but I am scared. SO good luck and let us know how you did it and how it went

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 26 May 2007 , 2:23pm
post #6 of 9

When someone ordered one of these I made two cakes, leveled, stacked them without filling and made the cut in the middle. That way they fit perfectly. I charged a little more and used all the halfs with a filling. It made a nice tall cake that looked so much better than a short sheet cake. I have also made round ones the same way. They turned out very nice. Just remember if you have two layers (taller cake) the servings will be less wide so you can usually make a slightly smaller cake.

kitten71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitten71 Posted 26 May 2007 , 2:41pm
post #7 of 9

I have made a few cakes that were 1/2 choc., 1/2 white and I always put the cake batter of one in first and then raise the end of the pan just alittle to keep that batter at its' end with a wooden spoon or whatever's handy to put under the pan and then pour in the next batter. I've never had a bit of problem with it. Yes, you may have to level it a bit... but no big deal.
Good luck, I'm sure you'll do fine!
thumbs_up.gif

Jonesie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jonesie Posted 26 May 2007 , 11:04pm
post #8 of 9

When I do a cake like this, I measure out how much batter of each type I want to use and pour in simultaneously (one measuring cup in each hand) into each side of the pan. I usually take a dowel or knife and swirl the middle a little. The people I have made these cakes for like to have the 'marble' option for a few pieces, too.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 May 2007 , 1:23am
post #9 of 9

I do it all the time. ALL of my sheet cake are half-n-half. Same pan, two batters. Batter sitting for 3-5 minutes while i make the other flavor isn't a problem. There are lots of threads on this issue.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%