Wilton Tilting Turntable Turns Tipsy

Decorating By cakerlady Updated 4 Jul 2006 , 12:02pm by cruizze

cakerlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerlady Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 12:56am
post #1 of 22

I broke down and bought myself the Wilton Tilting Turntable for my b-day and used it when I was making my cake. I had it in the middle position and locked when it slipped out of the position and I almost had the cake in my lap. icon_surprised.gif Has anyone else had this happen to them? Maybe it's defective? I admit it was a heavy cake - 10 inch double recipe covered with fondant but it came with no directions and nothing that said it had a weight limit. I am SO disappointed.

21 replies
cindww Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindww Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 1:12am
post #2 of 22

That sucks!! I, too, have this cake stand. Its the only one I have ever owned so I can't say whether others are better. I would like to put a question out there about it..why does the top pop off from the bottom part? I know there must be a reason for this, but I can't figure it out. My niece was here decorating cakes the other day and I handed the cake stand to her, holding it by the bottom part. She grabbed it by the top, not knowing that the pieces came apart and it fell on her cake and made a huge hole in her beautiful cake. i felt terrible!
Anyway, hope you don't mind me throwing another question out there with yours! I used the tilting function once but it was a 4" square cake and I had no problems with it toppling or anything..

Cindy

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 1:16am
post #3 of 22

My daughter bought that cake stand for me over a year ago and I hate it. I just use a flat rubbermaid turntable. I was so disappointed in the tilting one. I don't understand why it comes apart either.

Diane

cakesbykellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykellie Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 1:20am
post #4 of 22

i thought i was the only one! I broke down about a month ago and bought the tilting turntable as well and i am SO disappointed in it! it is very wobbly when it turns and i hate that the top part comes off! So, i use it when i need the cake up higher to do details or whatever and i use my tried and true $6 flat turntable that i got 8 years ago when i need to have a nice even turn! Expensive lesson to learn, eh?

cindww Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindww Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 1:21am
post #5 of 22

So does noone know why the dang thing comes apart? I am going to have to investigate this!!

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 1:23am
post #6 of 22

Well, it wasn't expensive for me but it certainly was for my daughter. I feel bad that I never use it. She does cakes more than I do and I want to give it to her but I am afraid it would hurt her feelings. Then when she tries to use it she will be over hurt feelings and want to kill me because it is lousy. icon_lol.gif

Diane

emilykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilykakes Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 1:26am
post #7 of 22

This was on my list of cake gadgets to buy but I have seen so many bad things about it on this site and others that I decided against it thumbsdown.gif . That's a nice chunk of money to spend on something that doesn't work well.

Molliebird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molliebird Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 1:31am
post #8 of 22

I was looking forward to getting my tilt turnable also. I was able to get it for 50% off. I'm sorry I did it now. I was icing an 8" carrot cake and my DH told me that he thought the cake was slipping. It was. I caught it in time. Also, the top won't come off if you lock in the bottom underneath. I just find the whole thing annoying. I've even pinched my fingers in the darn thing.

Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 1:36am
post #9 of 22

I'm so glad you guys posted about this. I've been thinking I needed one. I have the little $6 turntable and it works nicely. I was doing basketweave the other night and needed my cake at eye level; so I used my big stainless steel bowl, topped with a large cookie sheet and put my little flat turntable on top and it worked great! Guess I'll keep using this method. icon_lol.gif

BJsGRL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJsGRL Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 1:38am
post #10 of 22

I, too, finally bought one of these during a half-off sale...so glad I didn't buy it at full price! Truly, the idea behind the tilting turntable is great, but I really don't think this product is worth the price. Mine seems to be a bit wobbly, not very, but enough to notice, so I am always extremely careful when placing my cakes on it. I do, however, love the extra height it gives when decorating...makes things easier, but that in itself does not warrant the price. As for the removable top? Well, can't say that I really understand why it is made that way.

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 1:42am
post #11 of 22

At one time I was considering buying a tilted turn table, but I read too many things about the cakes falling off, etc..... I found a great wooden lazy suzan at my church's rummage sale and am totally in love with it. I also find that if I asm doing a sheet cake that needs to be supported all over all I have to do is place some of that non-slip liner on it, place a couple of 15 X 6 inch boards side by side on it and add another layer of the nonslip stuff and then the cake and I have a perfect size turn table for sheets.
It may seem like a lot of work, but what is a little bit of time compared with the big bucks those tables cost?

candy177 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candy177 Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 1:47am
post #12 of 22

I remember reading a thread about a cake that slipped on the tilting table....so I won't buy one. I just have the $12 turntable and I found that it fits PERFECTLY on top of my big stockpot turned upside down! So, if I need to decorate at eye level, the pot comes out and the cake goes up! At work, I've been known to put my turntable (I have a pro one there) on top of icing buckets....

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 3:46am
post #13 of 22

I wanted this for the longest time, but have seen several posts that have convinced me that my little $10 turntable is just perfect.

mushbug9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mushbug9 Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 3:49am
post #14 of 22

The same thing happened to me. I almost lost a cross cake I made for a confirmation. I called Wilton and they sent me a new one to replace it, but I still don't feel comfortable using it, so I ended up exchanging the new one at Michaels for the professional turntable which is the same price. Wilton was very good about it though. I would give them a call.

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 5:08am
post #15 of 22

I bought it, took it out of the box...and returned it the next day. I bought it with a 40% off coupon...it was not worth it at full price OR with the coupon!

cakerlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerlady Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 2:33pm
post #16 of 22

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. I still have the box and may return it to Michaels and go back to using my little cheapie one.

SugarHighCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarHighCakes Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 2:57am
post #17 of 22

I agree with everyone....Its definately a nice idea...but its terrible for anything larger than a 6'' cake! (which.,..most are...)

and...i do NOT understand why it comes apart...totally stupid. Theres no reason!

I too, have had some VERY close calls...including a hand print in the side of one that i made when trying to catch it from sliding off.

All in all...
Nice Idea....but lame execution!

Love-A-Lot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Love-A-Lot Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 3:18am
post #18 of 22

I was considering getting the tilting turntable, but I will stick with just putting the cake on my big hat boxes. LOL Now I have yet another use for them...he he.

Jasra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasra Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 4:00am
post #19 of 22

Oh I just bought this stand this weekend and I am pretty sure the receipt went out with the garbage today! I wonder if Michaels will take it back without the receipt? icon_cry.gif

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 11:14am
post #20 of 22

I just got one too. I think it will be nice for basketweave and stringwork probably. I did thought almost loose a cake the other day though. The cake started sliding off othe board (the board stayed on the turntable though!) It was a VERY scary moment! I think next time I will make sure I glue the cake down well! I probably wont tilt it that far back again either.

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 11:39am
post #21 of 22

Thanks to everyone!!! I've been toying with the idea of buying a tilting turntable but now know to spend my $$$ on something else.
I hope most of you can take your turntables back to the stores for a refund or at least an exchange. I'm sure, in good faith, the stores will side with you for the bad experience you've been through.

cruizze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cruizze Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 12:02pm
post #22 of 22

Yes, this has to be the most unstable turntable out there. I admit I haven't lost a cake yet with it tilted. With all my cakes I put a bit of frosting on the bottom to help it stick to the base board and prevent sliding. I think the top comes off for easy cleaning. I pop it off and run it under warm water to clean it. The turn table we had at work broke so I went looking for a professional cast iron turntable (very smooth turning action) but no one seemed to have one that day and I needed it badly. So I went ahead and paid the 50.00 for the tilting one. Bad mistake for the bakery. It's just not sturdy enough for work we do or home use for that much. If Wilton could only make it a more solid they might have a good product.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%