Food Coloring Used In Box Mix?

Decorating By georgiamom_06 Updated 30 Jun 2006 , 10:08pm by georgiamom_06

georgiamom_06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
georgiamom_06 Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 6

Question: Is using blue food going to do something weird to cake batter that is made from the box?! If not, great....how many drops should I use? I don't want it to make the cake taste funny or cook strangely! I'm using red for one layer and blue for another...the frosting is white!

5 replies
awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 8:41pm
post #2 of 6

I've done it before to make a checkerboard cake (red food coloring in white cake box mix). I used the Wilton Red gel and used enough to definitely make it pink. It didn't change the texture or the taste.

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 8:42pm
post #3 of 6

Blue should not take a lot to color..It's red that difficult to come with.
Use the gel food coloring. With Red Velvet cake, it uses a whole bottle of red coloring, that why they add chocolate to camouflage (?) the taste.
That should be alright.. icon_smile.gif

CakesBySandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesBySandy Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 8:45pm
post #4 of 6

I used the Wilton blue gel with a checkerboard cake and it turned out gray. Evidently, I didn't use enough blue. So make sure it is deep in color before you bake. Good luck!!!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 9:54pm
post #5 of 6

I have used wilton gel and the liquid food coloring before. If you add the liquid make sure you add it with your other liquids in the cake (so if you have water in there pour your coloring into the cup then add water to get your measurement... just helps keepthe moisture correct.

When I add the wilton gels I mix up my batter then color as needed. I did this with the checkerboard cake in my photos, it was for last years fourth of july

HTH

Leily

georgiamom_06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
georgiamom_06 Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 10:08pm
post #6 of 6

Yeah, it's the liquid food coloring that I'm using. I just wasn't sure if anyone had a "guesstimation" as to how many drops would be good.

So the idea is to add the drops to the water and then combine all the ingredients? I can probably "eyeball" the red coloring icon_smile.gif so that it doesn't look pink. I'll post a picture of it in here on monday or tuesday! It's going to be duncan hines mix(1 box batter will blue; other will be red)then I'm going to mix 8 oz. of whipped cream w/ 16 oz. of creamy supreme vanilla frosting & add 1 tbsp of grated lemon rind to it!

When the cake is done and cooled I will spread some of the frosting mixture on the bottom layer and put some raspberries on top. Then add top layer and frost with rest of whipped cream & frosting mixture....

Should be interesting. It's for my dad's birthday...he was born a day before the 4th of July so I've always cooked a red white and blue cake. The bottom layer will red, the top will be blue and the frosting is white! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%