How Big Is Too Big?

Decorating By petitesweet Updated 3 Jul 2006 , 1:35am by deedee44

petitesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petitesweet Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 12:51pm
post #1 of 16

I want to do a colorflow piece for a birthday cake. The picture I want to do is approximately 5" X 8". My question is: How big can you go with colorflow without breakage? Is this even something I should attempt? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

15 replies
petitesweet Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 12:59pm
post #2 of 16

anyone?

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 1:30pm
post #3 of 16

you should be okay, but you might want to make two just incase, and you need to handle carefully.

petitesweet Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 6:32pm
post #4 of 16

Thank you so much for your reply and your tip. Have a sweet day!

VickiC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickiC Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 6:49pm
post #5 of 16

You can try to pipe it on top of a piece of tulle to make it stronger.

petitesweet Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 7:21pm
post #6 of 16

Good idea! Hadn't ever thought of that. Appreciate the reply.

HeatherMari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherMari Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 7:25pm
post #7 of 16

Another thing you could do is use royal icing instead of colorflow. I have heard it is stronger and I also heard that buttercream breaks down colorflow so you have to set it off the buttercream with something (like mini marshmellows or sugar cubes) and royal doesn't do that.
Just a thought,
Heather

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 7:26pm
post #8 of 16

what is tule?

fronklowes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fronklowes Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 7:28pm
post #9 of 16

That size should be fine. The bride and groom piece on my "classy cowboy rehearsal dinner cake" is about 6x11 and it turned out fine, I even did it in royal icing run-out, which is supposed to be weaker than color flow. Just make sure it's completely dry (use those test puddles) and also, a neat trick I recently learned is to pipe it on saran wrap instead of waxed paper, and the backing will practically peal itself off. If you do use waxed paper, though, be sure to grease it with crisco first, then take a paper towel and wipe off as much crisco as you can. You will be left with a fine sheen of crisco, just enough to help with the removal of big pieces and not enough to mess with the composition of the color flow or royal icings. I agree with peg818, too; make more than one just in case. I usually make three or four to be on the safe side.

MJsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJsmom Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 7:34pm
post #10 of 16

imartsy, I think it's supposed to be spelled "Tulle". It's a mesh-like fabric, used for bridal veils, petticoats, etc. Comes in varying density... that may be the wrong word, but some types of tulle have the mesh very tightly woven, whereas on other tulles, you can clearly see the open sqaures in between the weaving. Does that make sense? HTH. Blessings! icon_smile.gif

basilikon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
basilikon Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 7:43pm
post #11 of 16

I was told in my Wilton classes that Colorflow is stronger than Royal icing, but BC breaks down *both* Royal icing and Colorflow about the same. It takes more than a day or two to really start breaking down either. I have noticed that Colorflow creations did seem a bit sturdier than Royal icing.

One concern, however, is to keep the Colorflow design (or Royal icing if you decide to use that) in a cool, dark place until you're ready to use it. The colour will fade from both if you leave anything made with either one exposed to light/sunlight.

If you're really undecided (or curious), try making one version of the design from each. Colorflow forms, while edible, aren't that appetising at all (amazing since it has all that sugar in it); Royal icing forms are of course edible and taste much better than anything made out of Colorflow.

Another point: make sure your utensils (bag, tips, couplers, etc.) have no prior history with Buttercream. I usually buy new ones anyway when I work with Royal. You'll be glad you did.

David

petitesweet Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 11:54am
post #12 of 16

Thank you everyone! I made the colorflow pieces last night. Forgot to make more than one, so if they break I have a back-up plan, but wish I could use these if at all possible. I love the pillowed look. I am doing a "Cars" cake and a 4th of July cake and like that look for the car, especially. It turned out so neat and I really hope it works. Wasn't able to get the tulle, so was kind of bummed. I'll post pictures of the two pieces later. Thanks again to everyone!!!

petitesweet Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 12:22pm
post #13 of 16

Well, here they are. Hope they turn out as well as fronklowes classy cowboy cake! Thanks again for everyone's help!!!
LL
LL

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 8:39pm
post #14 of 16

Those look great!

I did a sun/moon (in my photos) that was about 8 or 9 in around and it worked fine. icon_smile.gif

petitesweet Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 1:25am
post #15 of 16

Thank you Texas Sugar! Love the sun/moon. Beautiful!

deedee44 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deedee44 Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 1:35am
post #16 of 16

Petitesweet, You should do okay with a 5x8. I did roughly a 15x15 size colorflow of a scrabble board. I flowed two, but I didn't have to use the second one. Just like it dry completely. You can see it in my photos.

Deedee44

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%