Is Parchment Paper The Same As Wax Paper?

Decorating By ninaross Updated 30 Jun 2006 , 11:16am by tortica

ninaross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninaross Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 5:58am
post #1 of 7

i want to do a fbct and the directions says i need wax paper i have parchment paper dont know if thats the same and if that would work. i need thos for a cake due tomorrow night so i really need some answers. thank you ladies thumbs_up.gif

6 replies
Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 6:01am
post #2 of 7

Don't know if you can use parchment paper, it's not as transparent as the wax paper so if you are tracing a picture, you won't be able to see it as well. And I don't think it is as flexible as the wax paper and removing it might pose a problem. Hope there are other night owls that have used parchment that can help you...Sorry!

koolaidstains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolaidstains Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 6:05am
post #3 of 7

I used parchment when I did my FBCT and didn't have any problems with it. I'm not sure why wax paper is recommended other than it is easier to see through. Wax paper is coated with wax and parchment is coated with silicone. If you cook with wax paper, some of that wax gets cooked into your food. But, for a FBCT it shouldn't make a difference.

reenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reenie Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 6:09am
post #4 of 7

I don't think parchment would work either because it doesn't have the wax coating that works wonderfully when working with cold foods. I would imagin the transfer would stick to the parchment because it obsorbs the oils in the cakes when used in baking pans... would imagin it would do the same with the icing.

ninaross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninaross Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 6:13am
post #5 of 7

thankyou ladies i would of hated to start on the transfer and find out at the last min. that it didnt work. i will send my hubby to a 24 hour wal-mart to go get me some. thank you ladies

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 10:59am
post #6 of 7

Wax is easier to use because it is coated. Parchment gets wet and tends to wrinkle more. Both will work fine with removal.

tortica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tortica Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 11:16am
post #7 of 7

we don't have wax paper here so I alwasys use parchment. It worked ok for FBCT it just wrinkles a bit but it's not impossible to smooth it out - check my gallery the frog FBCT is made on parchment. Would like to get wax paper anyway for a milion other things...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%