Standing Stork????

Decorating By Erlyns_Treats Updated 25 May 2007 , 7:34pm by Erlyns_Treats

Erlyns_Treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erlyns_Treats Posted 25 May 2007 , 6:04am
post #1 of 5

i tried really hard to mimic this scrapbook cover pic (hopefully i can post a pic) and i think i did pretty well overall , the only problem was the stork . My friend wanted to stork standing up and i made one out of gumpaste and it shattered after i apllied ri to the back to be supprted by dowels. i then tried again with petal paste and thought it would be hard enough after 2 days and no go.i ended up leaving the stork laying down icon_sad.gif does any body have any tips to making figures like that to stand with out breaking? icon_redface.gif
Thanks for listening icon_smile.gif
LL
LL

4 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 25 May 2007 , 9:25am
post #2 of 5

I'm sorry, I have no constructive advice on the stork figure.

Just wanted to let you know your cake is adorable. icon_biggrin.gif

The design perfectly represents the scrapbook. thumbs_up.gif

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 25 May 2007 , 1:20pm
post #3 of 5

I made Spongebob with fondant and used toothpicks for his legs. I used a ball of fondant that I flattened out some and wrapped it around the toothpicks--then rolled the toothpick until the fondant covered it well. I left little sticking out for the shoes. I have also used skewers in the same way cutting them to length and then leaving the pointy end out to stick down into the cake. Here is a pic--sorry there is chocolate frosting on him! Your cake turned out very cute!
LL

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 25 May 2007 , 3:31pm
post #4 of 5

I made a cake with a cross standing up. I used aa sugar cookie I cut out with a cookie cutter and use the same cutter to cut a piece of fondant. I "glued" the fondant on the cookie with "cookie icing". It worked pretty well. You could only see the cookie from the back. I stuck the cookie directly into the cake. It was covered in fondant so I cut a slit in the fondant. Worked great. I took the cookie out for transport and stuck it back in at the party. I did notice the cookie had softened a bit in the heat from the car ride over. I'd refridgerate it first next time, but it held just well and I had to be careful on the second time I put it in.

Erlyns_Treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erlyns_Treats Posted 25 May 2007 , 7:34pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmgiles

I made a cake with a cross standing up. I used aa sugar cookie I cut out with a cookie cutter and use the same cutter to cut a piece of fondant. I "glued" the fondant on the cookie with "cookie icing". It worked pretty well. You could only see the cookie from the back. I stuck the cookie directly into the cake. It was covered in fondant so I cut a slit in the fondant. Worked great. I took the cookie out for transport and stuck it back in at the party. I did notice the cookie had softened a bit in the heat from the car ride over. I'd refridgerate it first next time, but it held just well and I had to be careful on the second time I put it in.

Thank you Jan h!
wow birdgirl spongebob is adorable! Thanks for that info! thank you for the cookie idea! I wish i would have thought of the i could have traced the stork out then bake a cookie! well next time i guess! thanks for all the info icon_smile.gif happy Baking!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%